You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Survey

Arthur Melton

Arthur Melton
Posted
Posted

Has a survey ever been done recently for which Flight Simulators are being used by all member pilots.

Arthur Melton
Posted
Posted

Are you being evasive Andreas?? maybe there should be a vote of all members to see if FS9 is wanted or not. The new vatsim thingy appears to have a lot of snags in using it ,going by the comments on the forum..art

Johnny Coughlan
Posted
Posted
Has a survey ever been done recently for which Flight Simulators are being used by all member pilots.

Andreas is right, no survey needs to be done, the system logs who connects in with what simulator/client.

Are you being evasive Andreas?? maybe there should be a vote of all members to see if FS9 is wanted or not. The new vatsim thingy appears to have a lot of snags in using it ,going by the comments on the forum..art

VATSIM did get over 1300 connections at one point last weekend I believe and not a single FSINN user was needed for that, so....

Arthur Melton
Posted
Posted

So what are you saying Johnny ,nobody with FS9 was flying?

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

This is very interesting, as I have previously asked and been told there is no record of what people are connecting with. IF it is indeed being recorded, is there a reason why it can’t be shared with members?

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Andrew Ogden
Posted
Posted (edited)

Whilst it was indeed a small survey (only 50-60 participants), I managed to collect some basic data for this statistic earlier last year. I hope this may be of some use/help.

[image removed]

Edited by Andrew Ogden

Andrew Ogden
Gander Oceanic OCA Chief
Vancouver FIR Senior Instructor

Visit us: https://ganderoceanic.ca

CZQO LogoCZVR Logo

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted
Why should I be evasive? You are rather aggressive with the choice of your words.

I hold no stakes, I got nothing to defend. If you want to use FS9 go with swift, as you know FsInn won't work anymore at some point in time.

And to be precise: SUPs and ADMs can pull information from individual members as long as they are connected. Part of this info is not only date of birth, street address and shoe-size (ok, I am kidding), but also the pilot client program and the FS-software in use. I do NOT know, however, if VATSIM's server automatically pull this piece of information when members connect and if it gets logged and saved. Only our Techies and other staff can answer this question.

What is for sure: the number of members using FS9 is small and getting smaller, while I vaguely remember having seen a number of about 50% using X-Plane. I myself switched from FS9 to X-Plane 11 about 2 years ago. I still have FS9 installed and have performed the odd flight with it through swift and we have a number of FS9 pilots on our swift Discord server.

Arthur Melton
Posted
Posted

Sorry Andreas, Maybe I am a bit forthright because of my age which is the same reason why I support FS 9 ,I got the sim in 2004 and purchased aircraft with the FMC shortly afterwards and don't like to spend more money purchasing more recent sims but having said that, I think FS9 is realistic .Cheers.

Arthur Melton
Posted
Posted

Hi again, The navigraph blog is what I was looking for .I guess times and types do change over the years.

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted
I guess times and types do change over the years.

As with everything, which is why we dont get around on Horse and Cart any more.

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Arthur Melton
Posted
Posted

Although the old horse and cart was pretty reliable and didn't cost a lot to run, aye?

nebojsa milosavljevic
Posted
Posted

I plan on staying with FS9 as long as i can,only because my system is old and it cant handle anything else.If the time comes where FS9 can not be used on Vatsim or (Ivao which i left years ago) then i will see what my next step is.

Nebojsa

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted
Sorry Andreas, Maybe I am a bit forthright because of my age which is the same reason why I support FS 9 ,I got the sim in 2004 and purchased aircraft with the FMC shortly afterwards and don't like to spend more money purchasing more recent sims but having said that, I think FS9 is realistic .Cheers.

No problem, Arthur. Thanks for your nice reply, I appreciate the time you have taken to write it.

Now, nobody is saying that FS9 is bad, me certainly not. It's just that XP11 and P3D are simply better and that's why lots of people have switched. Have you tried the latest Alpha version of swift to fly online. You can install it parallel to FsInn, it's not going to kill any of your Inn-settings.

• Board of Governors
Gunnar Lindahl
Posted
Posted

Arthur,

VATSIM is fully compatible with FS9. Do you need any [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance?

Kind regards

GUNNAR LINDAHL 
## [email protected]
Facebook Twitter Instagram
VATSIM Logo

Callum McLoughlin
Posted
Posted

It may be of interest that we recently looked at FS9 usage at BAVirtual. Our stats showed that about 36 of our 1,000 active members were actively using that platform. The number of members has been decreasing for some time.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

But still 36 out of a thousand pilots using it, not bad.

I performed two online flights with FS9 and swift yesterday and the day before, no issues, all went well.

Arthur Melton
Posted
Posted

Thanks for your reply's guys but is it worth installing Swift for FS9 when they both will be deleted from vatsim soon?

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
Thanks for your reply's guys but is it worth installing Swift for FS9 when they both will be deleted from vatsim soon?

You are misinformed.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Arthur Melton
Posted
Posted

Thanks, Where do I get swift from and how do I install it?.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Where do I get swift from

The same place you get any other pilot client. Either from the vatsim.net pilot software page, or by using your favorite search engine.

how do I install it?

The same way you install any other pilot client. By reading the instructions.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC