You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.
PLEASE READ - Webmaster Support Forum
This forum will be retired in the near future. Please direct all queries to our dedicated GitHub support page https://github.com/vatsimnetwork/developer-info/discussions 
Here you can find documentation on our services and we are continuing to migrate pertinent information into the Wiki pages https://github.com/vatsimnetwork/developer-info/wiki

Rating -> Discord Roles?

Kyle Varley 1385693

Kyle Varley 1385693
Posted
Posted

G'day forums!

I'm new to all of this and have no clue if someones already posted about this (if they have sorry in advance)

over the last couple of weeks, I've been wondering if it's possible to make some sort of system where the user logs into the SSO then gets a role in my server which matches their Ratings

if someones already released source for something like this lemme' know otherwise the adventure begins

Posted
Posted

I know VATSIM Scandinavia has a similar system, where they have a bot which automatically [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igns users a role if they are found to be members of VATSIM Scandinavia. I'm sure you can configure a bot to set rating roles, but I'm afraid, like most vACCs, you're most likely going to have to stick to manually setting the roles.

C1-rated controller

Krystian Zawadzki
Posted
Posted

We have it set up automatically in Poland.

What we've done is a simple system:

A user that joins the discord server is not confirmed. He can just see two channels I believe - the rules, and just a welcome chat. To gain access to the server, a user has to bind their discord account to their SSO account on our website (https://pl-vacc.org.pl/newvacc/profile.php). Once they've done that, the bot will:

1. Change their username on discord to [Name Surname - PID], for instance: [Krystian Zawadzki - 1416554].

2. [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign them the correct roles:

For pilots: Just a pilot role

For controllers: A controller role and their rating role, as shown in the screenshots below.

leOowJR.png

KRYSTIAN ZAWADZKI
ACCPL1 - Polish VACC Director
##  [email protected]
##  [email protected]

VATSIM Polish VACC

• 5 months later...
Delwyn Tan
Posted
Posted

Hi Krystian,

I am interested in using this feature for our organisation.

Could you elaborate on how the "binding" actually works? Do you have to create a custom bot in discord to handle the SSO?

Thanks!

Aidan Deschene
Posted
Posted

The Cleveland ARTCC just recently implemented this feature for our Discord server, and here is how our linking system works:

• User logs in to https://clevelandcenter.org/ in accordance to our local roster containing our home & visiting controllers.
  • User navigates to their "Profile" page, and has the ability to Link Discord which provides a redirect to a page on our site that goes through a few steps of process in first authorizing the user through oAuth2, and adding their basic Discord information to our database, then joining their Discord per permission granted by the oAuth2 system.
  • Once the user has successfully linked their account they can navigate back to Discord where they will have joined the ARTCC server, and get a message instructing them to follow the simple instructions to go into our "#welcome" channel, and type "!sync" which is a command affiliated with our bot (named ZOBot) which then grants the roles and assigning the nicknames according to our ARTCC site/API connected to our local roster.

The login system used by the Cleveland ARTCC is VATSIM Connect/SSO (under the VATUSA Division Unified Login Scheme [ULS]), and data is provided through the division and stored locally by our ARTCC. Hope this helps you form a system to get the information that you need for users. There are several sources around the site to get started with the Connect/SSO systems, and if you need assistance I'll be glad to help you get an application for SSO in for your organization.

crisp_logo.png
Aidan Deschene
Training Administrator
VATSIM Cleveland ARTCC
[email protected]

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted (edited)

I don't wanna make any spoilers, but mayyyybe we're working on a system exactly for this purpose; with highly customizable automatic role assignment for each server 👀

Edited by Nestor Perez

Me.

Jordan Jolenaar
Posted
Posted
On 2/9/2020 at 7:36 AM, Kyle Varley 1385693 said:

G'day forums!

I'm new to all of this and have no clue if someones already posted about this (if they have sorry in advance)

over the last couple of weeks, I've been wondering if it's possible to make some sort of system where the user logs into the SSO then gets a role in my server which matches their Ratings

if someones already released source for something like this lemme' know otherwise the adventure begins

Hello,

I maintain the project called "VATSIM Sync" (https://vatsimsync.com), it does exactly what you are trying to do. Basically users can login using SSO (Connect soon hopefully), and login via Discord (they can also provide their TeamSpeak Unique IDs aswell, as I have a bot written for TeamSpeak).

Discord Servers can invite the bot, and specify which roles are assigned to which users based on rating, then from there, the Bot will auto assign those roles, and upgrade/downgrade users aswell when their ratings change, I'm also working on including a rename function to allow the servers to decide the name format, and automatically rename the users who use VATSIM Sync. The TeamSpeak version works the same, but also includes VATUSA's API to determine which ARTCC they are from, and auto assign those tags aswell.

VATSIM Sync is sitting at about ~1000 users right now, so there is a good chance some users in your Discord server have already logged into VATSIM Sync. It's actually really nice to see that VATSIM is taking a more global approach to this also, it's kinda of a pain to login to each facility's website, and link your account. It would be nice to have a central system for this 🙂

Hope this helps!

Jordan Jolenaar 
VATSIM Senior Developer     
VATSIM Network Supervisor  
##  [email protected]
## www.vatsim.net

MeyrHZn.jpg