You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Vatsim Music Station

William Davies 1314058

William Davies 1314058
Posted
Posted

I had an idea the other day.

Why don't you have a radio station on the Vatsim network on a unique frequency so anyone around the world flying can listen too.

On longer flights with no ATC and Unicom isn't particularly important, people could tune in and enjoy themselves.

Could definitely be community-driven with song requests and could even have advertisements for new flight sim products as well.

Tristan Garratt
Posted
Posted

Hey, VATSIM doesen't provide one because I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume they have more important things to worry about

But Sky Blue Radio is redeveloping our Wee Tune Beastie plugin which allows you to listen to our station in cockpit via tuning com 2 to 123.45.

I'll keep you updated.

Tristan Garratt

VATPAC C1

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted

Internet radio is already a thing. What exactly would hosting it on Vatsim audio add? The protocol isn't even very suitable for it, it is heavily optimized for speech, and for simulating realistic audio quality deterioration like on real radio frequencies. Not only would this hog a network essentially running on donated servers and bandwidth for a purpose the donors didn't sign up for, it also wouldn't sound very good.

If you want a VATSIM radio station, the best way IMO would be to host it independently, and just advertise it within the VATSIM community.

23.png

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

I also think the network would prefer to focus its resources on features that improve / increase realism. If you want to play music in your virtual cockpit, there are already plenty of means available for you to do that.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

...and who would pay for the PRS licences to stream all these songs to a global audience?

Vice President, Pilot Training

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted

That too. Though I believe that would ultimately be the responsibility of whoever runs the broadcasts.

23.png

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member