You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Mac and Linux not *really* supported?

Stuart MacIntosh 1245742

Stuart MacIntosh 1245742
Posted
Posted

I am concerned that despite the claims that Mac and Linux are supported, there seems to be no reasonable Audio for VATSIM client support for Mac or Linux. I can not find any reports of it working reliably in WINE. There are however mentions of people trying, or using things like Parallels and VMware to run a whole VM (which I can do, but is not a practical solution). I have experience in cross-platform application development and must mention WINE is not a solution for cross-platform support (it's an emulator). I don't think it's a good idea to claim Linux and Mac are supported when that support is only provided by emulation in WINE (and it's apparently questionable whether that even works yet).

Apart from the great work being done in Swift, I'm wondering what I can do as a Tower controller to get AfV working in Linux? I have followed all the docomeentation, have installed .NET 4.7.2 and it fails to launch, showing an error about the .NET version installed. Swift is great for piloting, (it's actual cross-platform software) but I was really hoping to have a go at Tower operations, which requires AfV, but that apparently doesn't work on Mac or Linux? :-/

• Like 1

Gary Oliver
Posted
Posted

VATSIM have never supported Linux/Mac Clients for Controllers! Anything people do is just a bodge... Most people control with Parallels, Fusion or Bootcamp.

Some people have got the AFV standalone working with WINE but again this is NOT supported, however the AFV team did make a couple of simple changes to solve some issues back during the development.

Pilots on the other hand I believe now have several options thanks to Chris and XSB, and Roland and the Swift team.

A quick reminder....

gyxoRRf.jpg

• Sad 1

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted

Of course there's also a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation there...

23.png

• 1 month later...
William Teale
Posted
Posted

Not to mention the fact that the survey targets flight sim users, not controllers.

• Like 1