You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Advice please on who / when to contact.

Don Jones

Don Jones
Posted
Posted

Hi. I planned a flight from EGGD to EGSS earlier. I got clearance and taxi from the Bristol S1 controller and at the holding point asked to monitor UNICOM. After takeoff I proceeded on the [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned SID towards London & on checking VatSpy I noticed that a London Area Controller was online. My question is: should I have called the LON CTR or waited until I was PM'd by the controller? As it happens, it was very busy and by the time I reached the point where a STAR should have been allocated I still was unable to call him so I disconnected just in case I caused a problem. I'm fairly new to Vatsim and would appreciate some guidance for the future. Many thanks ..... Don.

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

https://www.vatsim.uk/operations/sectors

Need to double check what sector you are in based on the callsign, unfortunately vatspy lights up all of EGTT when 1 sector is online.

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Don Jones
Posted
Posted

Thanks Kirk. That diagram really helps. I can't remember which London Area was being covered at the time but in future I'll call any controller sector that my route p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es through early to get a clearance. It's a bit different obviously to the real world situation where you are p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed from controller to controller but I'm sure I'll grasp it eventually. Last question, in this case if an area controller was not working my part of the route but EGSS was covered with TWR & ATIS should I just continue with my planned STAR and at what point should I contact TWR for landing clearance etc?

Shaun Anderson
Posted
Posted

Hi Don,

A good guide would be as follows:

APP: Approximately halfway along the STAR where there is a height restriction (ie Lorel1B star into EGSS at HAZEL)

TWR: When establishing on the LOC

GND: Having vacated the runway

If a controller wants you on frequency any earlier they will send a "Contact Me" message, as some APP controllers will call you earlier than expected, especially into the busier airfields (EGLL & EGKK) in order to better manage the ensuring chaos.

If you think you are heading towards someones airspace, call up the controller and they will advise if you need to speak to them or not. Don't [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume you will always get a "Contact Me"

If you fly in the same areas you'll soon get to know which controllers you need to contact and which you can ignore.

Hope this helps

Shaun (EGLL APP Controller)

• Like 1

--------------------

Shaun Anderson

BAW526

Don Jones
Posted
Posted

Great, thanks Shaun.

With the advice from yourself & Kirk hopefully I'll make a better job of it next time!

• 1 year later...
Martin Nesuta
Posted
Posted

Hey,

I have one question. 
When I departed from airport, the ATC told me to monitor UNICOM. But what about when I’m entering area, for example Center, (but I’m not landing in that area, just crossing).

Should I contact this Center ATC (Control or just monitored area). 

Thank you for your response. 

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yes, of course you should contact Center. They will provide en-route service. In most cases it won't be much, but they may give you a direct or descend you if you're landing close to the border of the next Center's airspace, or they may have to give you a new squawk or even separate you from conflicting traffic.

Edited by Dace Nicmane
KntU2Cw.jpg