You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

No audio and an issue with model matching

Richard Asberg

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Hello guys!

I have two issues with xPilot where I could need some help from you experts in here.

First, I all of a sudden lost audio. Both for ATIS and ATC. I see how the RX light is blinking when receiving transmissions, I just don't hear anything in my speakers. I found this very strange since it was working just fine the day before when I installed it. I then realized what had changed - I got rid of a plugin called X-Plane ATIS Switch used to block X-Plane ATIS when flying online on Vatsim.

I then tried reinstalling this plugin and the audio in xPilot was back. But surely you must be able to get audio in xPilot without having this plugin installed?! I guess most xPilot users don't even know about this plugin. I'm guessing that plugin must have done something to my X-Plane audio configuration that is now causing issues with xPilot when I got rid of the plugin. Will ask the plugin developer as well.

Reason I removed the plugin after installing xPilot was the same functionality seems to already be built-in in xPilot.

Next question is about model matching in xPilot. I have a custom CSL used by a VA I belong to. What I've seen is how xPilot for some reason seems to pick this model quite often also for other airline ICAO codes. Is there any way for me to tell xPilot to use this CSL exclusively for our VA ICAO so I don't see other people in "our colours"?

I noticed how there's some model matching debug function in xPilot that can be enabled. Could that maybe help me figure out why this CSL model is picked every now and then by xPilot and somehow stop that from happening?

Many thanks in advance!

Richard Åsberg

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

An update to my post above.

I've now managed to get the ATC sound working without having the X-Plane ATIS Switch plugin installed. Managed to get this far by re-installing the plugin, disabling it, exiting out of X-Plane, removing the plugin, restarting X-Plane.

Still don't get any ATIS sound though even when there's an active ATIS provided by ATC.

Richard Åsberg

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Could be because the ATIS server died earlier today. We've restarted it now, want to give ut a try before it goes on strike again?

Me.

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Hello and sorry for my late reply. Didn't get a notification about your post for whatever reason even when I'm subscribed to this thread.

Just gave it another go and guess you're right because this time both ATC and ATIS audio worked normally. Very happy about that!

The issue remaining is the model matching issue described in my first post. Where xPilot insists picking a CSL model I don't want it to use unless someone is actually using the ICAO airline code in their callsign [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated with this particular CSL model.

Since there doesn't seem to be any way to "tell" xPilot to not use a certain CSL model, I thought a cheap work-around could be to make two separate CSL folders. One folder containing the CSL model I don't want xPilot to use in 99% of the cases. And another one containing all the normal Bluebell CSL models. Then I could define two CSL paths in the xPilot plugin and only have the path pointing to our VA CSL model enabled during our group flights but disabled for all other online flying.

Problem though is I can't get the custom CSL paths to work in the xPilot plugin. I've tried using different formats but whatever I try, I don't see any aircraft models around me when I'm connected. I do see the labels though if having them enabled. So other aircraft are injected correctly, it's just that xPilot fails to display the actual aircraft models. Only way to have xPilot show the aircraft models is to keep my Bluebell CSL models in the default location under ...\X-Plane 11\Resources\plugins\xPilot\Resources\CSL.

In worst case, an even cheaper work-around would be to make a simple batch file which will move our VA CSL model folder out from ...\X-Plane 11\Resources\plugins\xPilot\Resources\CSL for normal flying and another batch file that will move it back when doing group flights.

The best scenario of course would be if there was some way to stop xPilot from using our VA CSL model in the first place for callsigns not [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated with our VA airline ICAO.

Many thanks in advance for your help and input Néstor!

Richard Åsberg

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
xPilot insists picking a CSL model I don't want it to use unless someone is actually using the ICAO airline code in their callsign [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated with this particular CSL model.

Not to take this thread within an xPilot support forum and tell you to take a hike, but, this is honestly my best advice -- if you're looking for model-matching done to that very specific level of customizability, I feel like you may need to look at using Swift instead. The model-matching in xPilot is, by design, very plug-and-play -- plop a set of models into the appropriate location and just let xPilot do its thing. Swift is a much more powerful, customizable client -- the problem is that with customizability comes complexity. It's simply a different design philosophy from xPilot altogether. The good news is that Swift has a fantastic support network built via Discord so as you run into confusion on how to get it to do what you want, you can generally get help on-demand pretty quickly.

EDIT:

Me: "It's simply a different design philosophy from xPilot altogether."

All: "It's simply a different design philosophy from xPilot."

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Hello Robert,

I'm well aware of what you say about the differences between swift and xPilot. As for customization, I don't expect being able to do the same thing in xPilot as I can do within swift.

What I was hoping for though is to at least be able to do what the docomeentation for xPilot suggests, being able to define custom path(s) for my CSL models. Just need to figure out why it's not working where xPilot is injecting the traffic (based on the visible labels when enabled) but no visual aircraft models.

Another audio related issue I just found is it looks like you're not able to change your audio output device 'on-the-fly' like you can with the mic. This is a major concern for me since I switch between my VR headset and normal audio headset while flying depending on the phase of the flight.

Richard Åsberg