You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Other Aircraft are wrong textures and in the ground!

Craig Hughes

Craig Hughes
Posted
Posted

I'm pretty new to X-Plane but have started online flying with VATSIM.

I'm finding whenever there are other aircraft two things happen: 1) They appear to be in the ground, rather than on their wheels and 2) the textures/liveries of the aircraft don't match.

No one else seems to have this problem, so I'm guessing there is something very normal that I've not setup to sort out this aircraft in the ground rendering, and I've not downloaded some textures to render the other aircraft correctly.

The picture I've uploaded was at EHAM this evening where I was following two KLM flights. Both showed as American B737, yet they could see each other in KLM liveries and the aircraft directly in front of me was a B777, not a B737.

Capture.png

I'm obviously missing something basics, but despite much googling I can't find the answer.

TIA

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted

Not on XPlane myself, but given the nature of VATSIM, this isn't something that can be completely avoided.

The problem is, quite simply, that VATSIM supports a rather diverse selection of flightsims (FS9, FSX, P3D, XP, FG), and doesn't mandate the use of any specific scenery package or aircraft model set. And those don't always agree precisely on the ground elevations at any particular location, nor the CG corrections necessary for a given aircraft model. And if those don't match, aircraft are placed at the wrong altitude.

To avoid this, we would have to somehow force all clients to agree on the elevation data, but the way those sims work, this is simply not practical at all. There are a few heuristics that many vatsim clients employ, but they are far from fool proof.

23.png