You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Observing

William Leathley 1049264

William Leathley 1049264
Posted
Posted

Hi I'm a newbe in a way, meaning iv been off the air for a long time now. I have been back flying for a little while now but have not gone on line, I have been a vatsim member since 2008 but have done most of my flying off line, my question is can anyone help me regarding observation, meaning i would like to sit at an airport and listen to the jargon and the procedure i need to learn, "How do i go about this" i would like to get back to on line flying again but need to build my confidence up again.I would appreciate some input and help.

Kind Regards

William

Mark Taylor 1268798
Posted
Posted

First you can sit and listen to real pilots/controllers by selecting an airport and position at https://www.liveatc.net/

Then, you can start up your sim, connect, and sit at an active airport on a GA Ramp (so that you have less chance of interfering with vatsim traffic) and tune to and listen to any of the online controllers. You can even talk to them, if they have time, and help you out. I know I would.

Welcome

Mark

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

William, VATSTAR is a possible resource for connecting with mentors and instructors who can walk you through some basic flights with ATC interaction to help you ease your way back in. It's branded as a VATSIM Pilot Training organization, but if you're already familiar with basic IFR and ATC procedure and just want a means for getting some one-on-one coaching, it's probably worth your time to look into it.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

William Leathley 1049264
Posted
Posted

Much appreciated guys have spent quite a bit of time listening now to do it. One thing i found tho is that after listening for sometime i don't seem to be able to either talk or text any controller without first leaving the simulator. I mean i cant just talk while flying i have to press either text out of the sim or talk out of the sim then click back into the simulator, not sure if that makes any sense.

Tomas Hansson
Posted
Posted

Make sure to run your sim as Administrator.

Tomas Hansson

William Leathley 1049264
Posted
Posted

Thank You Thomas that did the trick, i would have liked it on my yoke but couldn't seem to manage it i'm happy to get it on keyboard much better than before.

Andrew McCabe
Posted
Posted

If you are using vPilot as the pilot client you can set a button on the yoke as PTT.

Drew

William Leathley 1049264
Posted
Posted

Thanks for your help guys

Ben Stevenson
Posted
Posted
If you are using vPilot as the pilot client you can set a button on the yoke as PTT.

Drew

And if that doesn't work (it should), and your yoke has programming software, then program the button on your yoke to whatever you want to use on the keyboard as your PTT, and set that key in your client.

0.png

Ben Stevenson

Chief Instructor

Toronto FIR (CZYZ)

torontofir.ca

CZYZ-logo-black.png

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted

Drew

And if that doesn't work (it should), and your yoke has programming software, then program the button on your yoke to whatever you want to use on the keyboard as your PTT, and set that key in your client.

The caveat with this is that the way these things usually work is by synthesizing key events and injecting them into the OS / Window Manager, which means that the virtual keystroke will do the same thing an actual keystroke would. So if the problem is that keystrokes don't reach the vatsim client when the flightsim has the focus, then this won't solve it, because the key event will still go to the flightsim, not the vatsim client.

23.png