You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Equipment Code

Maverick Lint 1456501

Maverick Lint 1456501
Posted
Posted

Hello! I need some help figuring out my Equipment Code (I am using XSquawkBox):

CIV-A INS

VOR NAV

no ILS unless necessary

IF YOU ARE LOOKING UP WHAT A CIV-A IS DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS ONLY IF YOU HAVE USED CIVA AND NEVER HAVE ISSUES WITH CONTROLLERS WITH CERTAIN CODE

Ryan Geckler
Posted
Posted
Hello! I need some help figuring out my Equipment Code (I am using XSquawkBox):

CIV-A INS

VOR NAV

no ILS unless necessary

IF YOU ARE LOOKING UP WHAT A CIV-A IS DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS ONLY IF YOU HAVE USED CIVA AND NEVER HAVE ISSUES WITH CONTROLLERS WITH CERTAIN CODE

I was going to help you, but I was going to have to look up CIV-A so now I'm not.

Ryan Geckler - GK | Former VATUSA3 - Division Training Manager

VATSIM Minneapolis ARTCC | FAA Miami ARTCC 

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

On VATSIM you're almost always one of these:

/L = RNAV and RVSM (capable of FL290 or higher)

/G = RNAV, no RVSM (ceiling of FL289 or lower)

/W = non-RNAV with DME, RVSM

/A = non-RNAV with DME, non-RVSM

/U = non-RNAV without DME

There's also /I which is basic RNAV without procedure-loading, which a CIVA sort of is -- but /I indicates no RVSM. So most VATSIM pilots flying vintage airliners equipped with the CIVA will file it /W with a remark indicating they can go direct to a lat/lon if needed.

And I didn't have to Google any of that, so, ppbbbbbbbtttttttttttt!

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Maverick Lint 1456501
Posted
Posted
Since we cannot look up what an "INS" is (of course we do know this!), I can only tell you as friendly as you did:

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=faa+flight+plan+equipment+codes

Don't mean it to be rude, just ive gotten plenty of answers leading me to having issues during departure and arrival.

On VATSIM you're almost always one of these:

/L = RNAV and RVSM (capable of FL290 or higher)

/G = RNAV, no RVSM (ceiling of FL289 or lower)

/W = non-RNAV with DME, RVSM

/A = non-RNAV with DME, non-RVSM

/U = non-RNAV without DME

There's also /I which is basic RNAV without procedure-loading, which a CIVA sort of is -- but /I indicates no RVSM. So most VATSIM pilots flying vintage airliners equipped with the CIVA will file it /W with a remark indicating they can go direct to a lat/lon if needed.

And I didn't have to Google any of that, so, ppbbbbbbbtttttttttttt!

Awesome, I've heard a wide varity outside of /W but that sounds about right to what I plan on and need, Thanks alot!

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted
Don't mean it to be rude, just ive gotten plenty of answers leading me to having issues during departure and arrival.

Awesome, I've heard a wide varity outside of /W but that sounds about right to what I plan on and need, Thanks alot!

Don't rely on the majority of ATCOs to a) read the equipment code and b) expect ATC to believe what's filled in there. When you fly to or from major airports we [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume that you have "the full stuff" available. If you get a clearance that you cannot follow just politely advise that you are unable due to navigation equipment. ATC will accommodate you. And even these days B727s would have to be retro-fitted with modern NAV-stuff to legally fly to the big places.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
[And even these days B727s would have to be retro-fitted with modern NAV-stuff to legally fly to the big places.

You're ruining my nostalgia-buzz, dude.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

If only there was a place, like a resource center or something similar that would have all this information.

Oh wait, there is... https://www.vatsim.net/pilot-resource-centre/general-lessons/choosing-equipment-code

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
If only there was a place, like a resource center or something similar that would have all this information.

Oh wait, there is... https://www.vatsim.net/pilot-resource-centre/general-lessons/choosing-equipment-code

Normally I'm on board with a bit of snark and a "RTFM" post, Kirk, but the OP here was asking specifically how the CIVA fits into that scheme, which the linked article doesn't clearly address.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Dhruv Kalra
Posted
Posted

At risk of repeating myself, I feel like I've already answered this question once: https://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=80760

Dhruv Kalra

VATUSA ZMP ATM | Instructor | VATSIM Network Supervisor

878508.png878508.png