You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VPilot Model matching

Karolis Petrosius 1262412

Posted
Posted

Good morning,

I have a problem with Model Matching FSX:SE. I am an old user of FSX:SE and until today everything worked fine with all models. But today, every VATSIM aircraft is displayed as A321 default and on VPILOT settings tab I have noticed that apart from Model Matching FSX tab, there is a Model Matching FSX:SE tab. On Model matching FSX tab everything works, all models are found, but when I try to RESCAN models on Model matching FSX:SE tab, it shows: 0 models found, 0 identified. COULD YOU HELP ME GUYS? I have included some screenshots

Model matching FSX:

https://ibb.co/z7dys4W

https://ibb.co/wzCKg6S

Model matching FSX:SE:

https://ibb.co/kMfF5rT

https://ibb.co/mXFz5Tn

Thanks in advance!

Posted
Posted

Just tried, unfortunately that did not help. More ideas?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Do you currently have both FSX and FSX:SE installed, or have you ever had both installed?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Andrew Ingram
Posted
Posted

im having the same issue

21.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Andrew, have you tried the version I posted earlier in this thread?

• 1 month later...
mario ferrer 1345627
Posted
Posted

Good morning,the same problem Sir please help us..

mario ferrer 1345627
Posted
Posted

I have currently have both FSX and FSX:SE installed, or have you ever had both installed

mario ferrer 1345627
Posted
Posted

i have install this but the same problem i have...https://vpilot.metacraft.com/Assets/Fil ... .4.2.2.exe

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Mario, please post a screenshot of the error you are getting.

Uri Tevel
Posted
Posted

Same here...

I have FSX-SE and it's the only FSX version on my PC. Never installed something else. I decided to fly on VATSIM so I downloaded vPilot 2.4.6 and installed FLAi but when I go online I see other aircrafts as stock A321.

On vPilot settings I can see both FSX & FSX-SE but I can only scan FSX and the advanced option is only available on FSX.

Another strange thing is when I try to switch the default model on FSX to CRJ nothing happens and every other aircraft is A321 but when I do the same thing on the FSX-SE node then every aircraft change to the stock CRJ

Also tried to install vPilot 2.4.2.2 with no success.

My Vpilot screenshots are here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1e6FVRMPqI3r5U9tqONWzUJJevsrHz3Xo

My believe vPilot is mixing between the two FSX versions and doesn't understand that FSX-SE is the only version installed

Hope you can help 

Thanks

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Uri, some versions of FSX:SE also install registry entries to make it look like FSX is also installed. This, I assume, is to trick older add-ons into thinking FSX is installed. As a result, vPilot cannot tell that you only have FSX:SE installed, and not FSX.

I added code in to allow vPilot to detect this case, and if both registry entries point to the same physical location on your hard drive, then I remove FSX:SE from the list and just show FSX in the list of detected sims. Since you see both in your list, then I have to assume that the registry entries point to two different folders.

Uri, if I were to provide you with some registry keys, would you be able to get the values from the registry? In other words, are you comfortable with using the registry editor or the cmd line?

Uri Tevel
Posted
Posted

yes no problem

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

The install folder for FSX should be in either (or both) of these two locations:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0

The key name will be one of these: "AppPath", "SetupPath", "install_path"

For FSX:SE, it should be in one or more of the following locations:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\DovetailGames\FSX
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition\10.0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DovetailGames\FSX
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition\10.0

The key name will also be one of these: "AppPath", "SetupPath", "install_path"

Please have a look at those registry locations and let me know the value of the installation path that you find for each of FSX and FSX:SE.

Uri Tevel
Posted
Posted

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0

AppPath = C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition

I have keys Co-Existence, FirstTime and Language but no AppPath, SetupPath or install_path

I have the other keys you posted but they are in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\DovetailGames\FSX

Exe_Path = C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe

Install_Path = C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0

SetupPath = C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Thanks Uri. It's very strange that vPilot is detecting that you have FSX:SE installed even though you don't have the registry keys that it looks for. You only have the registry key that it looks for for FSX. Maybe the registry query is getting redirected to the WOW6432Node entries and vPilot is thus finding your FSX:SE installation that way.

The next thing I need to know is what version of FSX vPilot is detecting when you launch the sim. It should show a message in the vPilot Messages tab like "Connected to simulator" followed by the simulator name in parentheses. What simulator name does it show?

Uri Tevel
Posted
Posted

It shows: Microsoft Flight Simulator X

Thanks for the help

BTW: It's very strange that vPilot finds that two versions of FSX even though I have only Steam. I read that add-ons look at the Co-Existence key in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition" to determine if FSX-SE is installed side-by-side with FSX. if the key is false then the AppPath in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0" is used

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Yeah, that makes sense. vPilot definitely does not do that, though, so it's odd that vPilot thinks that you have FSX:SE installed.

I'm going to try installing FSX:SE on my dev computer and see if I can reproduce the issue.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I've installed FSX:SE, and my registry looks the same as yours. I found that Windows will redirect registry queries to the WOW6432Node node in some circumstances, and that's definitely what is happening here.

However, my vPilot only shows FSX installed, and not FSX:SE. This is because I don't have a CFG file for FSX:SE. After checking the registry entries, vPilot then checks to ensure the FSX.exe file exists in the installation folder found in the registry. After that, it checks to see if the config file exists, because that's where all the aircraft model paths are found. For FSX, it looks for this file:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.CFG

For FSX:SE, it looks for this file:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX-SE\fsx_se.CFG

I do not have the FSX:SE file, only the FSX file. I assume you have both, otherwise vPilot would not be finding both sims for you. Can you confirm that this is the case?

Uri Tevel
Posted
Posted

Yes that is correct... I don't understand why I have FSX-SE folder and FSX_se.cfg file

The content of FSX_se.cfg is:

[GRAPHICS]
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=2048

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Did you ever change the value of the Co-Existence registry key? That's the only reason I know of where it would create the FSX-SE folder.

Something else I realized while troubleshooting this. Version 2.4.1 included a change where if FSX and FSX:SE are both installed in the same folder, then it ignores FSX:SE and only shows FSX as installed. This code doesn't appear to be working for you, because both of your registry keys point to the same folder. I think it might be because your registry entry for the install path for FSX ends in a backslash, but your install path for FSX:SE does not. Can you confirm if that's actually the case? If so, I'll fix that in the next update.

For now, you could try temporarily renaming the FSX-SE folder or FSX_se.cfg file to something else. That should prevent vPilot from thinking you have both FSX and FSX:SE installed. It will only think you have FSX installed. Then your FSX model matching settings should take effect.

Uri Tevel
Posted
Posted

Never changed the Co-Existence key.... Oh well...

Yes the registry key AppPath in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0" ends in a backslash but the Install_Path and SetupPath keys do not. No point in removing the backslash because fsx.exe just keeps adding it back

First I tried to rename fsx_se.cfg to fsx_se.cfg.bck and vPilot only showed FSX but that didn't solve my model matching issue. Then I edited the fsx_se.cfg and copied my simobjects from fsx.cfg and that solved my issue.

Although vPilot displays both FSX it only takes the model matching from FSX-SE

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

If you rename fsx_se.cfg to fsx_se.cfg.bck, does vPilot then only show FSX in the model matching settings, and not FSX:SE?

Uri Tevel
Posted
Posted

Yes, it only shows FSX and doesn't show FSX:SE

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

In that case, it vPilot should be using your FSX model matching settings. When you say it doesn't solve your model matching issue, what do you mean exactly?