You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Volume Spikes

Pete  Locascio 1183780

Pete  Locascio 1183780
Posted
Posted

I'm getting large volume spikes at random times on all frequencies. It gets so loud at times I have to remove my headset. These spikes only occur for a few seconds, and then the volume goes back to normal. I'm using vPilot, and always update when prompted to do so. I've tried adjusting the volume slider, but it doesn't help. I haven't heard anyone reporting this, so it may be something on my end. Anyone else experiencing this? Thanks.

Pete Locascio

Pete Locascio

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

I've seen a lot of people struggle with this, yet I've never heard it. You could always try these settings for your AFV device, I don't know if it will actually help, though: https://imgur.com/a/R74pSjw

• 2 weeks later...
Gary Crofield
Posted
Posted

This is a real problem for me. I miss about 1 in 8 transmissions because the volume spikes to painful levels and the only way to avoid it is to rip my headphones off before it ramps to max. I'm on Windows 10 and none of the settings tweaks published so far prevent this from happening.

I can tell when it's going to happen - it seems that pilots and controllers whose mic volume is set to max triggers it most often. I imagine in their client the mic input volume is routinely dancing in the red sector.

Gary Crofield
Posted
Posted

This is a real problem for me. I miss about 1 in 8 transmissions because the volume spikes to painful levels and the only way to avoid it is to rip my headphones off before it ramps to max. I'm on Windows 10 and none of the settings tweaks published so far prevent this from happening.

I can tell when it's going to happen - it seems that pilots and controllers whose mic volume is set to max triggers it most often. I imagine in their client the mic input volume is routinely dancing in the red sector.

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

Final thought, but it'll only really be an option if you run vPilot through headset and everything else through a separate audio device. For the vPilot headset, access the same options window as picture two in my link above, and enable "Loudness Equalization", this is supposed to even out spikes and dips in volume, though I don't know how well it deals with this level of contrast.

Simon Schwenke
Posted
Posted

Actually, I am affected as well.

The weird thing is thought that I can't find a pattern under which conditions this occurs. For example, it happened twice or maybe three times during the recent Copenhagen event. On other flights nothing happens, then on others I have to experience this several times.

And just like some before me wrote, the volume spikes are really painful. When they occur, I always rip my headset off as fast as I can, as well.

Gary Oliver
Posted
Posted

Very strange... We thought we might have found a reason for this and fixed it a few months ago. Evidently not... If anyone has worked out a pattern then please let us know. The AFV devs obviously want to fix this, we just dont know what causes it to reproduce. I have heard it once in about 250 hours of using AFV.

• 5 weeks later...
Nick Botica
Posted
Posted

Do you know if others on the frequency hear it? Or might only one person hear it?

if it doesn’t happen with the ‘simulate radio effects’ (can’t confirm this) then would anything cause the levels to be increased? If seems the transmission gets worse too. Simulating distance? Could the distance maths be overflowing  or something? 

Do clients just play the audio from the server? Or do they modify the audio stream? Could be a particular client perhaps?

If nothing else, perhaps there should be a threshold where volumes can’t exceed a limit to prevent hearing damage (not joking 🙂 )

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Latest speculation is that setting Output Volume control in the Pilot Client or AFV app at any level above 0 may contribute to this somehow.  See this thread for more information.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png