You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Sim Freezes / Crashes

David Cross

David Cross
Posted
Posted

It's becoming more and more these days that the FPS calculations are somehow crashing my sim. It only happens when It loads in new scenery. Eg. Flying last night from Boston to New York City using the AFL King Air 350. This flight was fine until the sim needed to load in the New York tile. I was flying with a consistent FPS of around 35 so there was def no performance issues with my settings. It wasn't until the sim needed to load in New York City did I again get kicked from the server which locks up my sim, resulting with a crash and another wasted flight. I was just at my TD too lol. As soon as the sim drops below 20 FPS for any amount of time, I guess the plugin starts it's FPS calculations and puts out flags. So while the FPS drops for a few seconds, as soon as I get the warning, the Sim locks up and freezes. It's like throwing a wrench into a grinder. If the Plugin would not interfere for maybe 30 seconds, then started with the warnings, that may help, but boom, as soon as the FPS drops, it starts flagging and freezing then crashing the sim. This happens all the time. But usually I fly the FF A320 and with that AC, I can re-start the sim and take off from where the auto save had stored the location and aircraft state. But with my other add on's there is no re-set button. So I guess I'll have to use my other add-ons for short flights to avoid extra scenery from loading in. I have the Log.txt file from this flight, but I do not see an option to upload a file here?... Also here is the Vatsim flight log showing where I was, when I got disconnected, which is right at the time, the sim will load a new tile. Hopefully there is a fix for this coming. I have a good computer. I7-9700 with a 1080. Thanks.

Dave. https://vatstats.net/flights/19894242

David Cross
Posted
Posted

Any thoughts or updates? Anyone else expierence this?.

Don't get me wrong. it's an incredible piece of software. I didn't even fly that much before because of sqb. But it is painstaking to get kicked after an hour or so into the flight. If there is a log or something which can help let me know where to send.

Thanks.

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

You can upload the contents of your log.txt file to https://pastebin.com/.

When you say your sim "locks up", what exactly happens? Does X-Plane stop responding and then a CTD (crash to desktop) occurs?

I'm not really sure how the frame rate monitoring could be causing this to happen. The calculation occurs within the xPilot client (not X-Plane), so there's really no performance hit to X-Plane when xPilot is doing its FPS calculations.

Are you running the latest version of xPilot? When you update xPilot, do you make sure to completely close X-Plane so the plugin can be completely updated?

Controller (C3), Los Angeles ARTCC
Developer: xPilot, vATIS

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Wonder if it's related to my issue where the sim suddenly becomes really stuttery, until closing and reopening xPilot? (NOTE: it's the re-opening that clears the issue up, not the closing!)

https://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=157&t=81479

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

David Cross
Posted
Posted

Thank you for the reply.

To answer your questions. Yes I'm current on xPilot. Yes i update while XP is not running. And the result is a CTD.

It will be a steady 35 fps, then drop to 15 or close then freeze. Then the windows not responding window will appear to shut down the app. So i force the program to quit at that point. When i fly on other networks, the sim may grind for 15 seconds while it loads in a new tile. Especially when its heavy city and HD Ortho like Seattle. But only for like 15 seconds, then back to the 30's FPS. So even through xPilot runs on the outside it must have some influence? Idk. That's just a guess from circomestances. I see in the log this error.

Also some nyc lr errors. But i use DW NYC. So. Not sure about that.

xPilot: Json p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]r error: [json.exception.p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]_error.101] p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] error at line 1, column 1: syntax error while parsing value - invalid literal; last read: 'w'

Log paste below. And thanks for taking a look.

Dave

Paste:

https://pastebin.com/TKTbtKp2

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
TGXP: Traffic Global V1.0.8818

TGXP: 19 TCAS (multiplayer) aircraft enabled.

Loaded: T:\Xplane11/X-Plane 11/Resources/plugins/Traffic Global/win_x64/Traffic Global.xpl (jkcc.trafficglobal).

I know that Justin generally recommends disabling other network Pilot Clients and AI Traffic plugins as potential sources of conflict. Any chance you can test without Traffic Global and rule it out as a cause?

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

David Cross
Posted
Posted
TGXP: Traffic Global V1.0.8818

TGXP: 19 TCAS (multiplayer) aircraft enabled.

Loaded: T:\Xplane11/X-Plane 11/Resources/plugins/Traffic Global/win_x64/Traffic Global.xpl (jkcc.trafficglobal).

I know that Justin generally recommends disabling other network Pilot Clients and AI Traffic plugins as potential sources of conflict. Any chance you can test without Traffic Global and rule it out as a cause?

I will start trying that. I thought by disabling the plugin would be enough. Meaning i removed all the airplanes from view using the slider. I didn't think to move it out completely. I will give that a whirl. That makes sence. If i get another CTD without the plugin installed I'll attach that log here again. I do appreciate your answer's.

Dave

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Best bet is to drag the folder out to your desktop while flying on VATSIM -- sometimes even disabling it through Plugin Manager doesn't cut it.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

David Cross
Posted
Posted
Best bet is to drag the folder out to your desktop while flying on VATSIM -- sometimes even disabling it through Plugin Manager doesn't cut it.

Thank you, that's exactly what i was planning to do. Just remove the plugin, even before i load in, so it won't run at all. Thanks.

Dave