You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

SWIFT for FS9/2004 I give up!

Mike Lehkamp

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted

Andreas,

You've been extremely kind and very much a gentlemen. Thank you.

After spending hours, and literally days, trying to make this work over a 2 month period recently, not to mention the month back last summer, I'm throwing in the towel.

I've spent "repeated" hours over and over watching tutorials on YouTube trying to get this program to work ON ONE COMPUTER, let alone over a NETWORK. It does not work. The same error I reported months ago still exists and prevents me from going any further. "MISSING MODEL STRING". Last time I reported this you weren't sure what it meant. And neither do I. Enough. I only wanted to use Swift so that I could see other online users aircrafts. Squawkbox and AFV work great again (thanks to your help and advise to remove the Vatsim.dll file).

I followed the YouTube provided tutorials to the letter. I was always successful in creating a model set to use to see other online users. The problem I had last summer and more recently still centers around my own aircraft. I give up. Over a 13 year period, I successfully built, and programmed in thousands of lines of code, a motion (757) simulator which has been flown by "many" real world pilots. But Swift has beaten me.

http://757simulator.com/swift2.jpg

http://757simulator.com/swift1.jpg

1.jpg

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Mike,

I am sorry to hear that you are frustrated with your experience of swift.

As offered before, I can provide you with help through Discord or Skype or TeamViewer or.... Just contact me and we will get it sorted. I got a lot of time as my company is barely flying....

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Oh, and a biiiiiiiiig PS: what version of swift did you download and install? 32bit or 64bit? For FS9 and FSX you have to use the 32bit version as those are 32bit-programs!

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted

Ah ha. Been using 64 bit. Will try32.

1.jpg

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted
Mike, how's it going with swift 32bit?

Hi Andreas,

Still a no go. That said, I have been able to FINALLY connect in a 1-PC setup using "Stand alone" mode. This very morning in fact. The key for me was finding and reading an advisory you authored indicating that the multiplayer session in FS9 needed to be joined. After doing that, it connected and worked. The having to join a multiplayer session is a royal pain though. It is however, a viable work around.

Now for my setup. I have no intentions of using Swift on a 1-PC setup. My desire is to use it as I currently do with Squawkbox. And that is with FS9 on main PC, and Swift on a 2nd networked PC. I spoke with Roland on Discord literally a few minutes ago, and currently Swift DOES NOT work with FS9 over a network. HOWEVER, Roland stated that he has received several requests of late from FS9 users inquiring about the network interfacing. First off, and totally understandable, Roland said he was not aware of such an interest to add this function to Swift. GOOD NEWS. Roland stated it is an easy addition and that we can expect this capability in the next update of Swift (1-2 days). He promised to email me when its available.

So thank you for checking back with me. Progress indeed.

Michael

1.jpg

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Good morning Michael,

I see that you have contacted us on swift Discord. We found out now that swift cannot connect to FS9 through a network (yet). I really was not aware of it since swift does work with all other SIMs through network, so this surprised me as well As Roland has confirmed now he will amend the code of swift to enable remote connections to FS9. Fingers crossed we will get you connected very soon!

Again, sorry for the confusion!

Will keep you in the loop re developments.

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted

Hi Andreas,

Glad you got caught up on the limitations of Swift with FS9. Was pulling my hair out for over 5 months or more dating back to last fall. Fortunately Roland came on board yesterday, recognized the issue after repeated inquiries, and promised to make this work for us FS9'ers. Awesome!

Thank you sir for your help,

Michael

1.jpg