You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

First Flight!

Bryan Haren 981418

Bryan Haren 981418
Posted
Posted

Hello all,

EVen though I have been an Flight Sim user since the Commodore 64 days last night was the first night I attemted a VATSIM flight. All I have to say is what a rush LOL

I filed a flight plan to take off from KLAX under VFR in a Baron 58. My flight plan stated I would head north and then come back around to land at the airport.

My first impression logging on and sitting at the gate listening to the ATC was "What have I gotten myself into!" SInce ATC wasnt manning TWR I called into LAX_APR got in my clearance request. LAX_APR stated that he normally didnt allow VFR traffic to the north but he would vector me out east and then back in. I rogered up and taxid out to the hold short.

After recieving T/O clearance (and forgetting to squawk Mode C) I was airborne. He had me fly out about 30 miles to the east and then vectored me right back in.. After recieving clearance to land I configured the Baron for landing and my gear wouldn't come down. Finally at about 200 AGL they dropped and I made a great landing on the centerline. (I remember now I was going to fast for the gear to drop)

My first impressions...

It was a great experience and I was amazed at the professionalism eveyone had. It was like real world flying. I cant believe it took me this long to discover VATSIM.

When I fly again I will be sticking to VFR for now though... I was thinking of flying the Baron from KLAS to KLAX today.. Wish me luck!

Bryan

Anthony Katosh 882140
Posted
Posted

Great to hear, Bryan hope to see you around sometime, all though i fly ifr in commercail jets, it nice to see some GA traffic once in awhile

Best of luck, on your flight

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Bryan,

Glad to hear you had a good experience with your first VFR flight. I think I was working LAX_TWR when you first came online, and asked a few questions about suggested destinations for 1hr VFR flight. Unfortunately, I had to change positions to relieve another controller, that's why you had no tower just prior to your departure.

If you're looking for some VFR tips and are interested in flying around LAX, here are two articles you might find useful:

http://www.laartcc.org/article_page/14

http://www.laartcc.org/article_page/13

Come back and see us again, or feel free to visit any other ARTCC's. There's lots of fun to be had going VFR!

Edited by Guest

Bryan Haren 981418
Posted
Posted (edited)

Keith & Anthony

Thank you for the replies!

Although I am not a pilot in real life I have been working on airplanes for almost 20 years. I am an Chief Avionics Technician in the Navy. I started off in 1987 working on A-6E Intruders and EA-6B Prowlers.. I have also worked on P-3C Orions and currently I am stationed at NAS Lemoore, CA teaching Aviation Electricians and Avionics schools to the new folks in the Navy.

Once I get the published departures and arrivals thing down and practicing offline with my Level D 767 I will be migrating to IFR flight. Plus I am reading, reading and reading some more!

Even though my flight was short it was a learning experience!

Thanks again!

Bryan

Edited by Guest

Beverley Howard-Smith 8396
Posted
Posted

Speaking of first flights:

I don't fly very often, usually sit behind the scope. Last night I flew online in the USA for the first time at KSAN and what a really friendly and helpful TWR controller on. I get very nervous and don't like to be outside of New Zealand and yet this guy made me feel at home.

So thank you.

Beverley

1248.png

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted

I don't fly very often, usually sit behind the scope. Last night I flew online in the USA for the first time at KSAN and what a really friendly and helpful TWR controller on. I get very nervous and don't like to be outside of New Zealand and yet this guy made me feel at home.

So thank you.

Beverley

Were you one of the COA folk flying with Jason? I was on Center. That was some great piloting last night, and SAN was absolutely packed. Fun times!

Bryan, congrats on your first flight!!! Glad you had a great time in ZLA.

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

Beverley Howard-Smith 8396
Posted
Posted

So thank you.

Beverley

Were you one of the COA folk flying with Jason? I was on Center. That was some great piloting last night, and SAN was absolutely packed. Fun times!

Bryan, congrats on your first flight!!! Glad you had a great time in ZLA.

I was too. Although I was quite late and used ZK-BEV. But it did help me overcome my fears of flying in the USA....so thank you.

1248.png