You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Which VATCC/FIR to choose for ATC training

Marek Bis 1481078

Marek Bis 1481078
Posted
Posted

New to VATSIM and considering in which Region/Division/VATCC to do ATC training. Some things which come into my consideration also when looking at a VATmap:

- I heard some divisions might be overloaded with training requests and it would take long time to start. How could I know in advance to make my decision?

- Some airports do not get too much air traffic, will it get boring to train or be resident in this area? Or will it maybe attract more air traffic when ATC is online regularly then?

- Some other airports are very busy, will it get too much traffic in the beginning? I actually think, the more traffic the more practice

- What other factors should I consider apart from time zone and maybe language?

Thank you very much for your [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance.

Marek

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

It sounds to me like you've touched on most of the major considerations, at least the ones I can readily think of. Good job taking the time to do your research and planning!

Yes, there is often a fine line to walk when deciding whether to enlist in a very busy region that may have a bit of a wait list, versus a region that doesn't get much traffic and can get you in for training right away but won't have much "live" volume for you to practice and learn with. There are tools that ATC mentors can use to simulate air traffic in a training environment, but, it's definitely not the same as working with actual VATSIM Pilots. I think the thing to to do is consider your own strengths and weaknesses, and what you hope to get out of the experience overall. I don't think anyone but you can make that choice.

I think the only consideration you neglected to mention is whether you want to control in your home area, or, in a region that you have some personal real-world interest in or connection to, versus choosing one purely for VATSIM-related considerations (i.e. an area that seems to have a variety of airspace types and a certain level of VATSIM traffic). I, like many VATSIM members, choose to control in the region I live within. However, I'm lucky in that my home region does indeed include a variety of facility types, airspace, terrain, and moderately busy online traffic.

Best of luck and have fun!

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

caden louis 1483437
Posted
Posted

So I have been rated OBS for a while now I am ZHU Region but how do I become s1 or s2 ive done the Training. Do I have to be on for a certain amount of time?

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

You should touch base with the training staff at ZHU ARTCC. I'm sure contact info can be found on their website.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png