You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Suggestion

Louie Lister

Louie Lister
Posted
Posted

Just a quick suggestion that sprung to mind...

I occasionally get the FPS countdown warning. It's not a common issue as my frames go back up to 20+ almost seconds later but the countdown still continues.

For example, I am currently flying now and my frames dropped to about 18 for a second or two, nothing major. They immediately went back up and it went up to about 25-26fps which is within the limit and the countdown should have stopped, however it continued to give me the 10 second warning and then I have to rush to another camera view that'll give me more frames to make sure it cancels.

To my knowledge, my sim rate has never been an issue for controllers as none have ever pulled me up on it. My FPS doesn't drop below 20 for long enough for the sim rate to change. It's quite annoying when it continues to proceed to kick you offline when your frames are 20+fps.

Is there some sort of time scale it has to be above 20 for it to terminate the countdown?

My suggestion, anyway.. Seeing as the low FPS warning is for when controllers are online and how it affects them. Would it be a possibility to deactivate the xPilot FPS warnings when a pilot is tuned to 122.8?

Kind regards,

VATSIM UK Division

Senior Student (S3)

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted
Just a quick suggestion that sprung to mind...

I occasionally get the FPS countdown warning. It's not a common issue as my frames go back up to 20+ almost seconds later but the countdown still continues.

For example, I am currently flying now and my frames dropped to about 18 for a second or two, nothing major. They immediately went back up and it went up to about 25-26fps which is within the limit and the countdown should have stopped, however it continued to give me the 10 second warning and then I have to rush to another camera view that'll give me more frames to make sure it cancels.

To my knowledge, my sim rate has never been an issue for controllers as none have ever pulled me up on it. My FPS doesn't drop below 20 for long enough for the sim rate to change. It's quite annoying when it continues to proceed to kick you offline when your frames are 20+fps.

Is there some sort of time scale it has to be above 20 for it to terminate the countdown?

My suggestion, anyway.. Seeing as the low FPS warning is for when controllers are online and how it affects them. Would it be a possibility to deactivate the xPilot FPS warnings when a pilot is tuned to 122.8?

Kind regards,

The user will receive their first warning after 10 consecutive seconds of having a frame rate less than 20. The second warning will trigger after 20 consecutive seconds. After 30 consecutive seconds of bad frame rates, the user is disconnected. If at any point before the 30 second mark, if the user’s frame rate improves, then any pending disconnect is cancelled.

Controller (C3), Los Angeles ARTCC
Developer: xPilot, vATIS

Louie Lister
Posted
Posted

Kind regards,

VATSIM UK Division

Senior Student (S3)

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

A low sim-rate pilot messes up sequencing when there isn't a controller online, too. Or IFR into a non-towered field. Or in VFR traffic patterns at non-towered fields.

If your argument is that there are no other pilots around you, well, then just let it disconnect you.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I've always thought that it's best to alert the user of the problem as early as possible. Disabling it when you're on 122.8 or when you're not near other pilots just delays the notification until you're near other users and causing problems. It's too late at that point.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted

Not an X-Plane user, so I don't know if this is feasible, but I would think that a two-stage system might be more pleasant for affected users.

The first stage just kicks off a warning; the second stage, say 2-3 minutes later, then disconnects you. This gives the user a last change to lower their rendering settings, hopefully raising the frame rate and simulation speed back into the green, and it's not long enough to cause serious disruption on the network. Obviously this depends on whether 2 minutes is enough to change those settings in X-Plane.

23.png

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

The problem with these suggestions is that when you are below 20 FPS you are in a slowed sim rate. It kicks in immediately, the question is are you below it long enough for ATC or pilots to notice it. VATSIM set 30 seconds as the cutoff point for it to be noticeable to other pilots and controllers. Going up to 1-2 minutes is way too long because by that time, your aircraft poses a potential collision risk to the aircraft behind you in sequence due to time dilation.

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"