You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

xsquawkbox 2.0

Franz Ruettimann

Franz Ruettimann
Posted
Posted

Hi there,

I just installed the new client and i have the following issue: i can tune any radio frequency in the radio-box or by using //XXX.XX for example as before. But the text-window on the top (where i receive and type the messages) is staying on the default frequency of 118.000. That means that even if i tune the right frequency in the radio-controller i am unable to talk to the ATC, except by using private messages.

I am using X-Plane 11.41.

Can you help me?

EDIT: just saw that it works when i use the second radio (COM2) but not the COM1...

Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted

Can you please lodge a bug report via the website? I need a copy of the Log.txt from whilst it is happening.

XSquawkBox - Developer/Maintainer

Please post any support related questions to the XSquawkBox support forum rather than private messaging me, thanks.

Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted

Actually, reading your post again, I'm inclined to suspect you're looking at the wrong radios - or that there's a model rigging problem.

Per the manual: XSB2 uses the selected transmission radio when you try to send a text message.

Make sure:

• You know which (COM1/COM2) radio you're tuning.
  • You have the Audio panel Tx selector (for the captain's side if in an airliner or an aircraft with multiple audio panels) set to the radio you want to send on, irrespective as to if you're using voice or text (some models might start with this in an invalid state, so try toggling it back and forth to see if it improves things).
  • You have the Rx selector (on the captain's side if in an airliner or an aircraft with multiple audio panels) set if you expect a voice reply.

with the // and /// command, they ALWAYS tune COM1 and COM2 respectively - so if you don't know for certain which radio is which, you can tune using those and watch which radio changes in your aircraft.

Right now we do not support the third radio present in some aircraft (there's no uniform standard as to how they're rigged). If you have three radio heads, it may well be that we only support the R and L or L and C radios. You'll need to experiment to see how the aircraft was rigged.

There's also a bug I found in the default 737-800 - the transmission select knob isn't rigged properly.

You can use the .tx COM command to force select the transmission radio.

Please post any support related questions to the XSquawkBox support forum rather than private messaging me, thanks.

Franz Ruettimann
Posted
Posted

Hi

Thank you for your feedback.

Actually i was flying the Flight Factor 320. If i set a frequency in the left radio panel (pilot side) or used "//XXX.XXX", the frequency indicated on the panel changed indeed but not in the text-window where it was the Radio2 (right side) being active. I must say that i have been using previous version of XSB during far more than 10 years without any similar issues.

So at the end i had to tune all the active frequencies in the right Radio2-panel on the right side to make them work in the text-window. So it was the opposite as always.

It seems that only the radio2-panel will activate the frequency and allow me to text with the ATC, doesnt matter if i tune it manually or by entering "///XXX.XXX".

Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted

Thanks for that extra information - I have the FF A320 - I'll sus it out and see if I can reproduce.

Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted

This is specifically an issue with the FF A320 - they've handled the radios in a way we cannot safely update from the client.

When using the FF A320, please be certain to use the in-cockpit controls to tune the radios rather than the // and /// commands.

Franz Ruettimann
Posted
Posted

Hi Collins

Thanks again. That must have a very technical background that i cannot understand because the FF320 was working perfectly fine with the previous XSQB-client. Anyway, here's what i did: i switched the right radio panel from VHF2 to VHF1 and the left one from VHF1 to VHF2. This allows me to change the frequency in the left one as i am used top as a pilot and get it activated in the text-window. So it's not a big deal, just something to know

Again thanks very much for your help and have a great sunday.

Best wishes

Franz

Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted

Thanks again. That must have a very technical background that i cannot understand because the FF320 was working perfectly fine with the previous XSQB-client.

It might have worked with 1.3, but XSB2 changed the way it handles the radios for a bit of future-proofing against eventual 8.33KHz frequency support. I suspect they had a workaround for the 25Khz radio support, but not for the 8.33Khz radios.