You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Sound config question

Andrew Trezise

Andrew Trezise
Posted
Posted

Hi there, I was a frequent user of VATSIM about 20yrs ago, boy a lot has changed since then.

In setting up for voice coms, is it possible to have only the ATC audio through a headset?

Way back when, I used to run two audio cards so I could [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign the audio for ATC to one and have cockpit/aircraft noise through a speaker system. Also any headset I can buy that looks half decent has only 1 x 3.5mm connector? WTF when PC has seperate mic and audio jacks??

BTW posting here as Im using Xpilot

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Yes, you can select any valid sound output device as your output in xPilot.

If your headset connects via 3.5mm jack, your sound card may or may not have an option to send separate audio streams to speakers and headset. Some older audio cards will simply route all desktop audio to speakers if no headset is connected, and will mute the speakers & send everything to the headset if one is plugged in. As a workaround, you can buy a reasonably inexpensive headset/mic combo which connects via USB, and that will appear as a separate input and output device option.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Oh and I think if you have a headset and mic which has a SINGLE 3.5mm connector, it's a three-wire setup (i.e. metal plug tip separated/divided by TWO plastic rings rather than one; L/R/mic). PC's jack would need to be designed that way too, or it won't work.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Andrew Trezise
Posted
Posted

I agree it wont work, yet they sell these as PC headsets!!!

And can not find any USB headset locally. Or the needed adapter to make the single 3.5mm work!