You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Circumnavigating the globe in a GA aircraft

Stephan Ahonen 1484465

Stephan Ahonen 1484465
Posted
Posted

I've decided to take advantage of my recent explosion of free time and attempt to circomenavigate the earth in a Long-EZ in VATSIM. Thankfully, VATSIM is not so realistic as to simulate the full legal and political difficulties in doing so.

I took off from my hometown GA airfield KANE on my way to KSLC tonight. From there my plan takes me to west coast USA, up to Alaska, down the east coast of Russia to Japan, down the east coast of China to Vietnam, through India, through the Middle East, up through Europe, Iceland, Greenland, down the west coast of Canada and USA, and finally back home.

Total length of the trip is a bit over 20,000 miles, which means it meets the FIA definition of a circomenavigation (the length of the Tropic of Cancer).

I'd like to try and schedule my flying time to coincide with the times that controllers are active wherever I'm flying through. Anyone who wants to follow along can look for tail# N84STA in SimAware.

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted

That sounds like an awesome project.

Would be lovely if you could host a blog or website or something of the sorts somewhere - I'd love to see an itinerary, map, screenshots, etc., also announcements for when and where your next flight will be, in case people want to join you as pilot or provide ATC service for you.

23.png

Stephan Ahonen 1484465
Posted
Posted

Good idea. I've started the blog here