You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FS9 - SOME, NOT ALL, AIRCRAFT TAXIING UNDER GROUND

Mike Lehkamp

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted

Hello all,

I have a problem with a few aircraft taxiing and/or, parked under ground. When I installed Swift, I placed my WOAI aircraft at the top. Most of my rendered aircraft look good. But a few are underground. So much that all you see is the very top of the vertical tail taxiing about.

I searched this forum as well as Google for suggestions. Came up empty. I'm certain it has to do with center of mass. These aircraft (were seen at KATL, one problem aircraft was a Delta A320, the other a Delta A321) which both display normal as regular A.I.

Any help appreciated.

Michael

1.jpg

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted

Another issue.... I'm starting to like Swift. But still have the above issue. Additionally, I noticed tonight during a night flight that Swift generated models have zero night lighting effects. Nothing. Zilch. Is it the same way in X-Plane and P3D? Or is this an FS9 anomaly?

Thank you,

Michael

1.jpg

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted

Ok, thank you.

Michael

1.jpg

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted
Just now, Mike Lehkamp 1396931 said:

Ok, thank you.

Michael

Andreas,

Do you know of other packages (other than WOAI) that do have lights at night in FS9?
And what package would you recommend over others for FS9?

Michael

1.jpg

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

I only use WoAI. The VIP-models that were ship together with Squawkbox are awful by today's standards.

I wonder: you sound a bit surprised that the lights on those aircraft do not work - did they work for you previously?

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted
Just now, Andreas Fuchs 810809 said:

I only use WoAI. The VIP-models that were ship together with Squawkbox are awful by today's standards.

I wonder: you sound a bit surprised that the lights on those aircraft do not work - did they work for you previously?

As regular AI they most certainly did work. I have many videos of the sim showing us waiting on regular AI to land, takeoff, taxiing, etc.

Now if you are asking whether they worked with Squawkbox then I cannot say as I never multiplayer'd with Squawkbox. I only previously used Squawkbox for the audio/atc interface. I'm really now liking Swift quite a bit.

Thank you for your suggesting WOAI. I will move them back up to "0". What would you recommend to use just behind WOAI? I will place them at order "1".

Michael

1.jpg

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Yesterday I had a look into the interpolation and parts details in FS9+swift. swift definitely received the respective stati such as "landing lights OFF" and "strobe lights ON", but either it is not programmed to transmit this information to the aircraft models in FS9 or WOAI is not compatible. You may wan to ask Roland on our Discord, he's into the coding bit of it.

You write that you never multiplayer'ed with Squawkbox. So, what aircraft were displayed in your SIM before you used swift? I am bit confused.

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Andreas Fuchs 810809 said:

Yesterday I had a look into the interpolation and parts details in FS9+swift. swift definitely received the respective stati such as "landing lights OFF" and "strobe lights ON", but either it is not programmed to transmit this information to the aircraft models in FS9 or WOAI is not compatible. You may wan to ask Roland on our Discord, he's into the coding bit of it.

You write that you never multiplayer'ed with Squawkbox. So, what aircraft were displayed in your SIM before you used swift? I am bit confused.

Not sure why your confused.

Prior to Swift, I was using WOAI, ProjectOpensky, and a few others. Even the default MSFS AI displayed lighting effects at night. That's a no brainer. My inquiry was simple. I used Squawkbox only for the audio/atc interfacing. I never observed other users aircrafts. "That's called Multiplayer'ing".

I, or we, were not using that function of Squawkbox. The only aircraft I witnessed while using Squawkbox were regular Ai. (I.e. WOAI, FAIB, etc. etc.).

I will "wan" touch base with Roland as this should be easy for him and team to troubleshoot. He was instrumental in getting Swift to work for me in FS9 virtually overnight. Prior to that, I spent literally months trying to get this to work. Your eventual remembrance that "the 32 bit only version of Swift works under FS9." That was a huge difference maker as well. Thank you sir.

As for the lighting effects to work with FS9, and from a software engineering viewpoint, it should only be a matter of troubleshooting what is missing in the translation. That said, I realize Roland (and team) have quite a bit on their plate right now. This can wait. I'm just ecstatic that I have Swift working with FS9.

Respectfully,

Michael

Edited by Mike Lehkamp

1.jpg

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Andreas Fuchs 810809 said:

Zach Biesse-Fitton,

Suggestions?

Michael

1.jpg

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted (edited)

Michael,

no, your inquiry is not simple. Maybe we both mean different things when we talk about "multiplayer'ing". To me it means that I connect FS9 via its multiplayer-menu to my pilot clients, such as Squawkbox and swift. To me that is the only way to have the aircraft of other pilots on VATSIM injected into FS9. Is there another way? You wrote now that you used Squawkbox "only for the audio/atc interfacing". Okay, and how did you display the aircraft of other VATSIM-pilots that were near your aircraft?

48 minutes ago, Mike Lehkamp said:

Prior to that, I spent literally months trying to get this to work. Your eventual remembrance that "the 32 bit only version of Swift works under FS9."

Yes, I have understood that you think that I am responsible for your lost months. Maybe that's because I assumed that, as you keep emphasizing that you are a software engineer, would be used to reading user instructions/manuals before using a program - had you done this properly, you would have seen that you need to use the 32bit-version of swift. We also would have found out at a much earlier point in time, had you contacted me after I had reached out to you on several occasions in the last few months. I am glad to help people, I am used to people not caring to read manuals. That's why I have been offering direct help, I have helped a lot of people get going with swift during the last 12 months. So, please stop blaming me for your lost months of trying to get swift going, I have had enough of your accusations, really.

You are very welcome to ask the Dev Team on our Discord for help, they will help you more competently that I will be able to.

Edited by Andreas Fuchs

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted
On 4/11/2020 at 5:43 AM, Andreas Fuchs said:

>>Michael,

You are very welcome to ask the Dev Team on our Discord for help, they will help you more competently that I will be able to.<<

Andreas,

I truly believe you mean well. I'm not trying to be confrontational. I find you to be a very nice individual who is attempting to help. But the suggestions you provide I find to be "guesses" at best. Hence many months were spent pulling my hair out. Then when I post "facts" or "findings" here in which I have derived from the software authors, your quick to jump in and act like you knew it all along. I.E., Networking Swift with FS9. You led me to believe for weeks it worked and provided me suggestions on how to make it work. Finally I found out from Roland (a Swift software author) that it in fact did not work. And when I shared that information with you on here you acted like you knew it all along. Urgh. I understand Swift is freeware and applaud everyone including you. But if your going to be a spokesperson for the software it would be helpful to just say "i don't know" then sending us on wild goose chases. 

>>No, your inquiry is not simple. To me that is the only way to have the aircraft of other pilots on VATSIM injected into FS9. Is there another way? You wrote now that you used Squawkbox "only for the audio/atc interfacing". Okay, and how did you display the aircraft of other VATSIM-pilots that were near your aircraft?<<

I never said there was another way. I made it abundantly clear I was not using Squawkbox for this. Furthermore, you had previously asked me if night lights worked in FS9 previous to using Swift. And I clearly stated yes. And I clearly stated as you quoted me above "That I only used Squawkbox for the audio/atc interfacing. I never observed other users aircrafts. "That's called Multiplayer'ing. I, or we, were not using that function of Squawkbox".  That is about as clear as I can make it. The only AI aircraft observed were the ones FS9 generated. AND YES, AGAIN, THE NIGHT LIGHTS DID WORK. 

I respect you Andreas and I'm only trying to find workable solutions that will help us and others. I totally appreciate your commitment to Swift. Going forward I hope we can communicate more clearly. I understand we are from different countries and often times "meanings" can have varied understandings. Trust me I know. My wife is pure German and I often have to alter my comments to her so she understands the true meaning of my exchange. Especially when it comes to politics LOL. But thats another story. 😁  I promise I will make my future inquiries here as detailed as I possibly can.

Thanks,

Michael

1.jpg