You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VATSIM disconnection suggestion with x-plane users

Jeremy Richmond

Jeremy Richmond
Posted
Posted

The idea behind disconnecting users from VATSIM if they can't maintain an acceptable frame was a good idea. However, it has created a very different huge issue for controllers. When pilots keep disconnecting and reconnecting, they pop up all over the place and where there was no traffic before hand, now creates a traffic conflict. This might not be a huge problem in enroute space, but in a finals box or an approach pattern, this just doesn't work. I had a text pilot today as I was working Miami approach that kept reconnecting. He was a text pilot. I would give him a heading to fly to intercept the localizer, but he would get disconnected, so he wouldn't get it. By the time he would reconnect that heading would no longer work so I would have to keep spinning him. My suggestion would be if a pilot is disconnected for lack of frame rates, then they wouldn't be able to reconnect for a period of time to avoid these issues. 

• Thanks 1

Morten Jelle
Posted
Posted

I think there is more to consider here, because what about those who actually lowers their settings and reconnect? Shall they be punished as well then?

Currently I don't think the network is capable of this, so that might be another thing to consider as well.

• Like 1

Morten Jelle

VATSIM Network Supervisor, Team Lead - Supervisor Team 1

spacer.png

Jeremy Richmond
Posted
Posted

That is a good point. I'll try telling the pilots that next time we run into an issue

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted

Also, the whole point isn't just to reconnect all the time, you are supposed to change your settings if you're disconnected. But practically speaking it's a bit difficult to enforce..

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new

Mark Doyle
Posted
Posted

Strongly agree, I see so many pilots flying spamming the "connect" button as soon as they're disconnected

Developer: vatsim.net | community.vatsim.net | estvacc.org

vatsim tech logo

Brant Marshall
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Mark Doyle said:

Strongly agree, I see so many pilots flying spamming the "connect" button as soon as they're disconnected

I've seen it as well, makes life pretty difficult for controllers. People just don't like rules i guess 😞 

Mark Doyle
Posted
Posted

IMO, a connection, after a disconnection should only be allowed once FPS is at an acceptable level. However I can see people getting around this by looking downwards into the cockpit which reduces the amount of objects being rendered, improving FPS momentarily..

Developer: vatsim.net | community.vatsim.net | estvacc.org

vatsim tech logo

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

I would expect the controller to "tell the pilot off" for not fixing their settings if they keep doing that. The whole point of disconnecting people is to get the message across about them needing to change their settings. VATSIM's CoC B9 regulates situations involving time acceleration/deceleration. If after asking the pilot politely to fix it he/she still doesn't comply and is causing conflicts with other traffic because of it, it is perfectly fine to call a SUP for help 🙂.

Me.

Jeremy Richmond
Posted
Posted

Thanks Nestor! I kinda got a little snarky with a pilot. He was a text pilot and was having this issue and I kept trying to give him headings to vector him for approach, but by the time I could get him a heading, he would disconnect and reconnect, and that heading would no longer work. Such a mess!