You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.
PLEASE READ - Webmaster Support Forum
This forum will be retired in the near future. Please direct all queries to our dedicated GitHub support page https://github.com/vatsimnetwork/developer-info/discussions 
Here you can find documentation on our services and we are continuing to migrate pertinent information into the Wiki pages https://github.com/vatsimnetwork/developer-info/wiki

VATSIM Connect Discussion

Zach Biesse-Fitton

Zach Biesse-Fitton
Posted
Posted

Hi webmasters,

If you have questions about the new VATSIM Connect (SSO) system, please post them here.

More information about VATSIM Connect can be found in the following thread: 

https://forums.vatsim.net/topic/26902-new-sso-vatsim-connect-update/

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

Zach Biesse-Fitton
VATSIM Developer and Supervisor | VATPAC Division Director

vatSys Development Team

Sebastian Kramer
Posted
Posted

Hey,

first off all thanks for the great work you are doing.

Just one little question about the new Connect system.

In the documentation it lists some development accounts that can be used. But I can't figure out a way to activate a local or demo environment.

Maybe someone has an idea?

Harrison Scott
Posted
Posted

Hi Sebastian, 

Thanks for bringing this up. The demo accounts are for use within the demo environment which is located at http://auth-dev.vatsim.net 

To get a set of OAuth credentials, login with any of the demo accounts listed in the documentation and click view "VATSIM Connect Demo" then OAuth. When making requests, utilise http://auth-dev.vatsim.net in place of https://auth.vatsim.net. 

If you have any issues let us know.

Cheers

Harrison

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Harrison Scott
VATSIM Web Developer
Director Operations, VATSIM Australia Pacific
[email protected]

• Zach Biesse-Fitton pinned this topic
Wildan Gunawan
Posted
Posted (edited)

In the documentation at step 2, I expect the answer from VATSIM after user authorize access is: scopes, token_type, expires_in, access_token, and refresh_token. But, I don't get that in the actual answer, I get anything but scopes.

Both auth-dev.vatsim.net and auth.vatsim.net return the same result.

Is it a bug or it's actually like that?

Edited by Wildan Gunawan

Harrison Scott
Posted
Posted

Hi @Wildan Gunawan,

It should definitely should return the scopes. I'll look into the issue this evening and let you know in this thread when the issue has been rectified.

Cheers

Harrison

Harrison Scott
VATSIM Web Developer
[email protected]

Wildan Gunawan
Posted
Posted

@Harrison Scott,

Thank you Harrison. I did the command using CURL inside PHP, but it doesn't give the scope.
Here is the result I get: https://pastebin.com/nKqeVRUh

Harrison Scott
Posted
Posted

Hi @Wildan Gunawan,

The changes are live within the development environment, let me know if you have any issues. 

I'd expect them to be in production this evening.

Cheers

Harrison Scott
VATSIM Web Developer
[email protected]

Wildan Gunawan
Posted
Posted

Tested and it works like a charm. Thank you!

Mike Welten
Posted
Posted

Great, new SSO Platform, thanks a lot for the work!

Would it be possible to add the following information in the return as well?

- Active/Inactive Account
- Suspended Yes/No
- ATC Rating (before I1/I3/SUP/ADM)
- VATSIM-Registration Date
- Subdivision Assignment Date (don't know if available)

- ATC Hours (Total and per rating)
- PILOT Hours (Total)

- Last Online ATC (Date/Time Callsign)
- Last Online PILOT (Date/Time Callsign)

Once again, thanks for the work and for considering.

Best regards
Mike

Kind regards, Mike Welten

Leader Technology Department. vACC Switzerland

Calum Towers
Posted
Posted

Similar to @Mike Welten I would be keen to see a little more data in the return. Post above covers it pretty well.

As it stands, I am going to have to fire off an API call as part of the auth flow to gather some of the basic user data (e.g. their rating). We use this to immediately cascade their account into our other services (e.g. Training System, Forum etc) and to be able to tailor their experience to their use case. Visitors see a different homepage to home members for example.

Calum Towers
Web Services Director
BFunKC2.png
Network Supervisor

Calum Towers
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Calum Towers said:

Similar to @Mike Welten I would be keen to see a little more data in the return. Post above covers it pretty well.

As it stands, I am going to have to fire off an API call as part of the auth flow to gather some of the basic user data (e.g. their rating). We use this to immediately cascade their account into our other services (e.g. Training System, Forum etc) and to be able to tailor their experience to their use case. Visitors see a different homepage to home members for example.

Excuse my slight ignorance, I wasn't requesting all of the scopes we needed! So we now have most of the data we need.
@Mike Welten - You should be able to determine active/inactivate and banned/unbanned should be available under the vatsim dataset of the return (using the vatsim_details scope).

Could still do with the user's reg date if possible!

Calum Towers
Web Services Director
BFunKC2.png
Network Supervisor

Mike Welten
Posted
Posted

I don't think so, just checked the return of the User with 10000011 auth-dev, he should be suspended according the documentation.
I can't find any information which was requested above, or do I miss something?

Kind regards, Mike Welten

Leader Technology Department. vACC Switzerland

Blake Nahin
Posted
Posted

It seems that after redirecting back from VATSIM, if successful, the return URL does not include the state parameter. It only has code. The state parameter is only included if access is denied.

(Reposted from the other forum since it seems this is where questions should be)

spacer.png

Blake Nahin

VATUSA Data Services Manager

https://vatusa.net

Daniel Lange
Posted
Posted

I've a question if the auth-dev accounts could be configured to have unique e-mails? Many services (that's not made by us, for instance forum software) use e-mail as the unique key to identify users. It becomes a bit tricky to test with when all auth-dev accounts 10000002, 10000003 and so on are the same email and we want to test 🙂

Daniel Lange

Web Services Director
Vatsim Scandinavia

[email protected]

Harrison Scott
Posted
Posted

Hi Guys,

@Mike Welten We could facilitate Active/Inactive, Reg Date and suspended (Should be their rating, I'll investigate the demo account). For information pertaining to time online etc.. I invite you to take a look at the new VATSIM API here

@Calum Towers Reg date can certainly be added, I'll add it to the list.

@Blake Nahin I'll investigate the issue and get back to you.

@Daniel Lange I'll change the emails on the dev accounts to facilitate using emails as the unique key.

Thanks for your feedback on Connect, I'll get back to you all ASAP.

Cheers

Harrison

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Harrison Scott
VATSIM Web Developer
[email protected]

• 4 weeks later...
Daniel Lange
Posted
Posted

Not sure if this is just me, but I've tried this across two different services and experience the same. When I try to test giving insufficient data access (where the user ticks off which scopes to share) on auth-dev, it just redirects to auth (production) login and not back to my service. Could it be that auth-dev just have a small misconfig? 🙂 

Pretty much reproduce this by logging in with ticking off any scope.

Daniel Lange

Web Services Director
Vatsim Scandinavia

[email protected]

Zach Biesse-Fitton
Posted
Posted

@Harrison Scott WIll take a look 😄

• Thanks 1

Zach Biesse-Fitton
VATSIM Developer and Supervisor | VATPAC Division Director

vatSys Development Team

Harrison Scott
Posted
Posted

@Daniel Lange Thanks for pointing that out! I'll get it fixed this evening.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

Harrison Scott
VATSIM Web Developer
[email protected]

Daniel Lange
Posted
Posted

Is there any news on the unique email addresses for the auth-dev accounts? 🙂 Could you perhaps simultaneously make the names unique as well? For instance "Web One", "Web Twelve" or something?

Daniel Lange

Web Services Director
Vatsim Scandinavia

[email protected]

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

That doesn’t represent the live system accurately though. All PR accounts have the same email addresses and names, as do many duplicate ones too. Both of these are able to use Connect and log into an application unless the app itself restricts it.

It’s not my choice to modify it or not, but I do think having it like this in the development environment allows people to avoid/fix problems which could arise further down the line in production.

Me.

Daniel Lange
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Nestor Perez said:

That doesn’t represent the live system accurately though. All PR accounts have the same email addresses and names, as do many duplicate ones too. Both of these are able to use Connect and log into an application unless the app itself restricts it.

It’s not my choice to modify it or not, but I do think having it like this in the development environment allows people to avoid/fix problems which could arise further down the line in production.

Best of two worlds then? Make two of the high-level accounts (e.g. 10000009 & 10000010) have the same e-mail, rest can be unique? Because having all accounts with the same or equal addresses only aren't good test cases. 🙂 We need at least some unique accounts because majority of users on VATSIM are private users which should only have one unique account which indirectly translated to unique address as well.

Daniel Lange

Web Services Director
Vatsim Scandinavia

[email protected]

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Yep, having a bit of both worlds sounds fine 2 me!

Me.

Harrison Scott
Posted
Posted

Hi All,

The error when deselecting scopes has been fixed. Additionally, 9 accounts now have unique names and emails while the last two remain unchanged. The github documentation will be updated accordingly. 

If you have any issues let me know.

Cheers

• Like 2

Harrison Scott
VATSIM Web Developer
[email protected]

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Nice work, Harrison! 🙂

Me.

Ilya Pyankov
Posted
Posted

Good day everyone!

I have tried to create Vatrus Moscow FIR organization. When opening it I have:

Error Code: VSO1
Need more assistance? Pass this error code on: <unique code on each page update>

Could you clarify what is VSO1 and where to supply provided code because there were no forms on input fields are on mentioned page.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Ilya Pyankov
VATRUS Moscow FIR Head