You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Xplane Maps Crash xPilot 1.3.0.2

John Carmichael

John Carmichael
Posted
Posted

Hi Justin, I had a crash in Xplane 11.50b3 that happened a few times in different aircraft and different circumstances. The first two times happened when I opened the Xplane Map a few times (worked Ok for around 3 map toggles) and then caused the SIM to CTD. The third was on closing XPlane (I did not open the map for the entire flight) and the log mentioned:

xPilot/XPMP2 23:43:40.616 [INFO] Map.cpp:340/XPMPEnableMap: Map drawing has been disabled
--=={This application has crashed!}==--

Here is the pastebin link in case useful or not reported already (I don't have the log for the first two crashes unfortunately).

https://pastebin.com/gsFYE79J

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

I am not sure if xPilot is causing X-Plane to crash, or if there is a bug with the X-Plane map.

For what it's worth, I've had this happen to me twice when opening the map, but I've not been able to reproduce it on demand. When it last happened to me, my log file did not indicate that the application crashed, instead it said "X-Plane has shut down", which makes it look like X-Plane for some reason performed a clean shutdown.

I will continue to investigate this one further, but for now I have no solid lead.

Controller (C3), Los Angeles ARTCC
Developer: xPilot, vATIS

Fernando Mercerat
Posted
Posted

Hi Justin, posted my log.txt on another thread reporting this same problem, then that thread was closed and I couldn't write anymore. I'll share my experiences here, perhaps they can give you a lead.

X-Plane 11.50B3 Vulkan enabled, xPilot 1.3.0.2 (Ryzen 5 1600 @3750, RX480 8GB, Windows 10)

Doing VFR circuits for about 40 min, opening the map like 20 times (cheating :)) didn't crash the app.

Connecting sitting on a ramp without flying and opening and moving the map (just looking other airplanes and listening to controllers) never crashed the app.

Opening the map midflight sometimes crash sometimes not.

Opening the map after landing crashed 100% of the times I've tried.

Never (and I mean never 0%) had a single crash with X-Plane 11.50B3 Vulkan if not opening the map being connected with xPilot. Opening the map without being connected to xPilot works perfect, and using xPilot without opening the map works perfect too.

If you need help testing scenarios, situations, software modifications, or anything just let me know. We're in lockdown and have plenty of time.

Thanks for your great work.

Fernando Mercerat
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Justin Shannon said:

my log file did not indicate that the application crashed, instead it said "X-Plane has shut down", which makes it look like X-Plane for some reason performed a clean shutdown.

Mine says always the same :

1:21:20.898 I/WIN: Opened window IOS Window
--=={This application has crashed!}==--

John Carmichael
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Justin Shannon said:

I am not sure if xPilot is causing X-Plane to crash, or if there is a bug with the X-Plane map.

For what it's worth, I've had this happen to me twice when opening the map, but I've not been able to reproduce it on demand. When it last happened to me, my log file did not indicate that the application crashed, instead it said "X-Plane has shut down", which makes it look like X-Plane for some reason performed a clean shutdown.

I will continue to investigate this one further, but for now I have no solid lead.

Thanks Justin, I had the same in the first two crashes that no indication in the log on why the crash happened. Just the third after landing had the last line I posted above.

My experience is very similar to the one Fernando describes above, almost exactly.

Thank you!

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the information. 

If you have a crash after opening the map, please upload your X-Plane log.txt as well as the Windows Event Viewer details. The event viewer error log should look something like this:

image.png.4c7dfc1999113c8d7aa82c159d7c5a5f.png

This information is very important so I can try to trace back to what portion of the code is causing the crash to happen.

Fernando Mercerat
Posted
Posted

I'll post both next time. Searching for errors in the event viewer I've found several like this:

Nombre de la aplicación con errores: X-Plane.exe, versión: 11.0.50.13, marca de tiempo: 0x5e8f6f7d
Nombre del módulo con errores: xPilot.xpl, versión: 0.0.0.0, marca de tiempo: 0x5e8ea8b3
Código de excepción: 0xc0000005
Desplazamiento de errores: 0x0000000000149f28
Identificador del proceso con errores: 0x2a4c
Hora de inicio de la aplicación con errores: 0x01d611682c71723f
Ruta de acceso de la aplicación con errores: E:\Steam\steamapps\common\X-Plane 11\X-Plane.exe
Ruta de acceso del módulo con errores: E:\Steam\steamapps\common\X-Plane 11\Resources\plugins\xPilot\win_x64\xPilot.xpl
Identificador del informe: d6564a74-7a28-4006-b080-0a200c20ac41
Nombre completo del paquete con errores: 
Identificador de aplicación relativa del paquete con errores: 

But none of them corresponds with the times when I had the crashes, so those must be another thing. Next flight I'll be expectant.

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Fernando Mercerat said:

I'll post both next time. Searching for errors in the event viewer I've found several like this:

Nombre de la aplicación con errores: X-Plane.exe, versión: 11.0.50.13, marca de tiempo: 0x5e8f6f7d
Nombre del módulo con errores: xPilot.xpl, versión: 0.0.0.0, marca de tiempo: 0x5e8ea8b3
Código de excepción: 0xc0000005
Desplazamiento de errores: 0x0000000000149f28
Identificador del proceso con errores: 0x2a4c
Hora de inicio de la aplicación con errores: 0x01d611682c71723f
Ruta de acceso de la aplicación con errores: E:\Steam\steamapps\common\X-Plane 11\X-Plane.exe
Ruta de acceso del módulo con errores: E:\Steam\steamapps\common\X-Plane 11\Resources\plugins\xPilot\win_x64\xPilot.xpl
Identificador del informe: d6564a74-7a28-4006-b080-0a200c20ac41
Nombre completo del paquete con errores: 
Identificador de aplicación relativa del paquete con errores: 

But none of them corresponds with the times when I had the crashes, so those must be another thing. Next flight I'll be expectant.

Yes, I'll need the errors from when the crash happened. 

Thanks.

Fernando Mercerat
Posted
Posted

Weird thing is that viewing Vatsim statistics I know exactly at what time the sim crashed yesterday, two times. But there is no error report at those times in the event viewer

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Fernando Mercerat said:

Weird thing is that viewing Vatsim statistics I know exactly at what time the sim crashed yesterday, two times. But there is no error report at those times in the event viewer

Do you recall looking at the X-Plane log when this happened? I wonder if it was one of those "clean shutdown" instances, like I had.

Fernando Mercerat
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm pretty sure about log.txt, first thing I do when X-plane crashes is looking at the log. This is the one I've posted in the other thread and are all of them the same:

https://pastebin.com/jNJabEXb

No clean shutdown, always This application has crashed.

Edited by Fernando Mercerat

John Carmichael
Posted
Posted

Attached is the only X-Plane report from the session that crashed after landing (first log I posted above). No Events were recorded when the actual crash ocurred, that I could find at least.

crash 12-10-2020 9PM.evtx

Aliaksandr Charnabryuchanka
Posted
Posted

I'm pretty sure game crash appears when you fly a specific distance from loaded place. So, you open map where you loaded aircraft. After you fly out of one fixed tile of original map and if you open map out of loaded map edge you got crash. As you all know, you can't move default map more far than it gets you to move. So I guess when you far from default loaded map piece and open map with xPilot Game Map can't find this tile, because it is already unloaded. Do your checks to confirm it.

Fernando Mercerat
Posted
Posted

Well, came here to write something very similar to what Aliaksandr said. I guess it has something to do with the map loading new tiles, and that's why it doesn't crash doing vfr circuits, or on the first minutes of a flight, and always crashes at destination airport. Last flight used the map before departing with no problems, in flight didn't open it, and after landing it crashed just when opened the map again.

Another thing, noted the time of the crash and there's no error at that time in the event viewer, but there is a crash report (.rpt file in the folder output/crash_reports) but don't know how to read it.

If it is useful to you, let me know and I'll send it.

Anyway fantastic work Justin, I could never back to OpenGL, but I can use an external map until you find a solution.

Thanks for giving us the chance to fly on Vatsim with Vulkan so fast.

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

I have some news on this... After reading some information posted by the LiveTraffic developer on his website, it seems like the crash is an X-Plane bug and not something caused by xPilot.

Known issue: X-Plane can crash with "many" planes (>40?) to show in the map. Debugger output suggest that the actual crash is in the Lua plugin of the standard Cessna C172 despite the log stating the crash would be due to LiveTraffic. And indeed I did not immediately experience the crash when flying the Cirrus Vision. (https://twinfan.gitbook.io/livetraffic/reference/tips-on-testing#v-2-0-changes)

A commit in the LiveTraffic Github suggests that he has submitted a bug report to Laminar:

Known issue: XP crashes with "many" (>40?) aircraft to display. Reported to Laminar as crash report.

Fernando Mercerat
Posted
Posted (edited)

Edit: not relevant anymore, read the next post.

Edited by Fernando Mercerat
Not relevant anymore

Fernando Mercerat
Posted
Posted

Justin forget about my previous post, did a test flight offline without executing xPilot, and no AI aircrafts and the sim crashed the same.

Next step, I'll delete xPilot from the plugins folder and repeat exactly the same flight, if it crashes we can be sure that it's not xPilot's fault 🙂

Reported the crash to Laminar.

Camden Bruno
Posted
Posted

@Justin Shannon,

I'm not sure if my issue is related to this thread - but I'm experiencing similar issues. I've had absolutely no issues with XPlane (I am running XP 11.41, not the newest beta) or XPilot up until I updated to the latest XPilot version the other day. Since then, I am having random XPlane crashes whenever I start XPilot. I tested my theory by flying a few different aircraft (default XPlane Cirrus, TBM900 Hot Start, etc.) and at different phases of flight (cold and dark at the ramp, taxiing, climbing out, etc.) and at different airports. Each time, when I fly offline I'm experiencing no issues. Then, when I connect to VATSIM with XPilot, within a few minutes my simulator crashes to the desktop.

It should be noted that I have not opened the XPlane map during any of these crashes. But, as previously stated, my symptoms seemed similar to this thread so I figured I would post here.

Do you have an email I can send you my event viewer and log files? I'm having trouble attaching them here for some reason.

Thank you.

Cam B.
VATSIM Supervisor

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Camden Bruno said:

@Justin Shannon,

I'm not sure if my issue is related to this thread - but I'm experiencing similar issues. I've had absolutely no issues with XPlane (I am running XP 11.41, not the newest beta) or XPilot up until I updated to the latest XPilot version the other day. Since then, I am having random XPlane crashes whenever I start XPilot. I tested my theory by flying a few different aircraft (default XPlane Cirrus, TBM900 Hot Start, etc.) and at different phases of flight (cold and dark at the ramp, taxiing, climbing out, etc.) and at different airports. Each time, when I fly offline I'm experiencing no issues. Then, when I connect to VATSIM with XPilot, within a few minutes my simulator crashes to the desktop.

It should be noted that I have not opened the XPlane map during any of these crashes. But, as previously stated, my symptoms seemed similar to this thread so I figured I would post here.

Do you have an email I can send you my event viewer and log files? I'm having trouble attaching them here for some reason.

Thank you.

Can you upload it to pastebin.com?

Camden Bruno
Posted
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Justin Shannon said:

Can you upload it to pastebin.com?

log.txt: https://pastebin.com/raw/mG2W0Bit

Event Viewer (Example 1): https://pastebin.com/raw/MLXi5ppK

Event Viewer (Example 2): https://pastebin.com/raw/YLbYeVFH

I also tried installing the latest redistributables and running XPilot as an admin - I saw that in another thread.

Edited by Camden Bruno

Cam B.
VATSIM Supervisor

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

Okay, for those who are experiencing a CTD/freezing, please give this version a try. This version completely disables the integration with the X-Plane map.

http://xpilot.clowd.io/installers/xPilot-Setup-1.3.1.2.exe

Camden Bruno
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Justin Shannon said:

Okay, for those who are experiencing a CTD/freezing, please give this version a try. This version completely disables the integration with the X-Plane map.

http://xpilot.clowd.io/installers/xPilot-Setup-1.3.1.2.exe

Justin, I downloaded this and just tested.

Event Viewer: https://pastebin.com/raw/QLZTTKji
Log.txt: https://pastebin.com/raw/FK2Nadkv

Still getting the same results - freeze/stutter and then CTD. I have a request...is there any chance you'd be willing/able to give me a copy of XPilot Version 1.2.1.0? That is what I was running prior to updating on Monday (I had declined to update for several weeks prior to then) and had no issues. I'd like to switch back and see if I still encounter issues.

Cam B.
VATSIM Supervisor

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Camden Bruno said:

Justin, I downloaded this and just tested.

Event Viewer: https://pastebin.com/raw/QLZTTKji
Log.txt: https://pastebin.com/raw/FK2Nadkv

Still getting the same results - freeze/stutter and then CTD. I have a request...is there any chance you'd be willing/able to give me a copy of XPilot Version 1.2.1.0? That is what I was running prior to updating on Monday (I had declined to update for several weeks prior to then) and had no issues. I'd like to switch back and see if I still encounter issues.

Can you try a flight not using the TBM and upload the appropriate logs after a crash happens?

Camden Bruno
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Justin Shannon said:

Can you try a flight not using the TBM and upload the appropriate logs after a crash happens?

Sure thing. I just replicated it with the 777. I loaded at 22R at BOS and departed in the 777. Then closed XPlane, reloaded, and re-spawned on 22R at BOS. I connected to xPilot, increased throttles, and XPlane stopped responding.

Event Viewer: https://pastebin.com/raw/MzdNjhpa

Log.txt: https://pastebin.com/raw/WPeSAKUC

Cam B.
VATSIM Supervisor

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Camden Bruno said:

Sure thing. I just replicated it with the 777. I loaded at 22R at BOS and departed in the 777. Then closed XPlane, reloaded, and re-spawned on 22R at BOS. I connected to xPilot, increased throttles, and XPlane stopped responding.

Event Viewer: https://pastebin.com/raw/MzdNjhpa

Log.txt: https://pastebin.com/raw/WPeSAKUC

Does the same thing happen with a stock X-Plane aircraft, such as the C172?