You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Unable to get ATC audio working on Mac

Alex Field

Alex Field
Posted
Posted

Good afternoon all,

I’m new to Vatsim and would really like to get up and running with ATC audio. I’ve installed the latest version of Xsquawkbox 2.1, followed the installation instructions exactly, and been through the troubleshooting but just can’t connect to ATC audio. I can connect to the Vatsim network without any problems, and it seems that my Mac is trying to connect to audio (it says connecting in the text box) but then all that happens is a question mark and other symbols just appear in the text box. I can read text ATC instructions fine.

I’ve set up the mic correctly and assigned a PTT switch. My Mac is running OSX 10.15 and Xplane 11.41 (latest version). 

Could anyway shed any light? I read something in the guide about firewall ports but I have my firewall turned off so guessing this shouldn’t be a problem? I’m not computer expert so any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers 

Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted

Can you please capture a screenshot of when the garbage appears in the text box, and send through an issue report with your complete log.txt (per the instructions on the website) and include a link to that screenshot in your description  (use dropbox or similar, and create a sharing link unless you have alternate means)?

XSquawkBox - Developer/Maintainer

Please post any support related questions to the XSquawkBox support forum rather than private messaging me, thanks.

Alex Field
Posted
Posted

Hi many thanks for your reply. I logged on yesterday and for some reason was able to connect to voice with no problems! Didn’t do anything different so perhaps a reboot of my Mac did the trick. 

All the best

• 4 months later...
Ries van Twisk
Posted
Posted

I have this issue and I have this in my log:

XSB-AFV-Native: Wed Sep  2 18:03:22 2020: APISession: got error from API server: Response Code 403
XSB-AFV-Native: Wed Sep  2 18:03:22 2020: afv_native::Client: Got error from AFV API Server.  Disconnecting session
XSB-Console: Encountered an error talking to the voice server (0x7ffeece95fc0). Disabling Voice.

Although I am not always get the weird characters.

I am on 10.41 with 2.1 of xsquawkbox

Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Ries van Twisk said:

I have this issue and I have this in my log:

XSB-AFV-Native: Wed Sep  2 18:03:22 2020: APISession: got error from API server: Response Code 403
XSB-AFV-Native: Wed Sep  2 18:03:22 2020: afv_native::Client: Got error from AFV API Server.  Disconnecting session
XSB-Console: Encountered an error talking to the voice server (0x7ffeece95fc0). Disabling Voice.

Although I am not always get the weird characters.

I am on 10.41 with 2.1 of xsquawkbox

This suggests that the voice system thinks you're not authorised to use it.

The most common cause is your password being the wrong case - Make sure you have entered your password exactly (including the capitalisation) as it was supplied to you - whilst the traffic server will accept either case, voice requires that it matches exactly.

XSquawkBox - Developer/Maintainer

Please post any support related questions to the XSquawkBox support forum rather than private messaging me, thanks.

Ries van Twisk
Posted
Posted
On 9/2/2020 at 6:13 PM, Ries van Twisk said:

his suggests that the voice system thinks you're not authorised to use it.

The most common cause is your password being the wrong case - Make sure you have entered your password exactly (including the capitalisation) as it was supplied to you - whilst the traffic server will accept either case, voice requires that it matches exactly.

The 403 indeed suggested that, I just was not sure what exactly was not authorised since I did see people and no voice.

That said, I did a password reset and copy/pasted it and now it seems to work..... going to do my first steps RT....