You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Mark messages as read!

Samuel Rey

Samuel Rey
Posted
Posted (edited)

Ok, perhaps this post is completely unnecessary, but after seeing the replies in this thread, I think this deserves a mention.

Here's how to easily notice new text messages - right click the frequency to mark all messages as read. It should turn to white. When a new transmission appears, it will be orange and the frequency will turn orange again. Old messages remain white. Deal with the text pilot then right click again. I don't understand how some controllers say it's hard to notice a new message - I just look down and if it's orange I read the message, but perhaps doing this is not as common as I thought.

I also recommend closing private chats once the message is read and selecting the freq. you're controlling again as soon as possible.

EDIT: I should add this is done in EuroScope - I don't know if this works in other clients.

Edited by Samuel Rey

spacer.png

New and want some help? Send me a message on Discord at GoodCrossing#4907!

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted

Other clients don't work that way, but this is very true for Euroscope. I actually didn't know about this until around 6 months ago.

Also what you're saying about controllers not noticing new messages is a bad excuse. There are tons of things you can do. You can change the message behavior to highlight it or make it flash until you read it, you can change the color and you can change to a louder tone. I never accept "I didn't see the message" from experienced controllers. 😛

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new

Michael Pike
Posted
Posted

There is also a display messages option in the ES menu. When this is selected, text messages appear separately at the top left of the scrren. I find it easier to notice them and to read them up there. When you've actioned them you can double click on the message and remove it (the individual message).

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted
On 4/14/2020 at 5:27 PM, Samuel Rey said:

Here's how to easily notice new text messages - right click the frequency to mark all messages as read. It should turn to white. When a new transmission appears, it will be orange and the frequency will turn orange again. Old messages remain white. Deal with the text pilot then right click again.

You can also click on the left of the individual message to mark only the individual message as read. Instead of all unread messages. Easiest if you can handle one or two text pilots at a time, but others after them are still waiting.

Also. Aliases makes your life so much easier!

On 4/14/2020 at 5:27 PM, Samuel Rey said:

I also recommend closing private chats once the message is read and selecting the freq. you're controlling again as soon as possible.

The amount of times I still had a private chat open, used an alias for a text pilot, and it was sent to the private chat instead of the frequency. 😅

spacer.png

ACCNL4 (Training Director) - Dutch VACC

Samuel Rey
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Thimo Koolen said:

The amount of times I still had a private chat open, used an alias for a text pilot, and it was sent to the private chat instead of the frequency. 😅

Yup! That's exactly why I do it.

>EGCC_N_TWR: req rel RYR36CU on a LISTO2S

>EGCC_S_APP: released

>EGCC_N_TWR: thanks!

>EGCC_N_TWR: RYR36CU, runway 05L, cleared for takeoff surface wind 0506KT

>EGCC_S_APP: cool

spacer.png

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

You don't do controller coordination on a Teamspeak server (or equivalent)? Text coordination takes much longer, especially for go-arounds etc.

The problem mostly occurs when a pilot sends me a private message.

spacer.png

Samuel Rey
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Thimo Koolen said:

You don't do controller coordination on a Teamspeak server (or equivalent)? Text coordination takes much longer, especially for go-arounds etc.

The problem mostly occurs when a pilot sends me a private message.

I coordinate via text when it's very busy, or when it's something so small it doesn't make sense to go to another room to say it (although most of my private chats are with pilots, clearing up reroutes etc.) I like TS coordination but in very busy days it's impossible to actually speak because when one controller doesn't have a transmission, the other will so there's very little gaps to coordinate.

11 hours ago, Andreas Fuchs said:

Otherwise they cannot log and archive all coordination messages. They need to keep them for at least 3 months in case of internal checks or complaints.

Also this. Don't you keep a tape archive of all voice communications as well??

• Haha 1

spacer.png

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

No, we don't keep records of that.

spacer.png

Samuel Rey
Posted
Posted
On 4/21/2020 at 10:54 PM, Thimo Koolen said:

No, we don't keep records of that.

Really? Then what am I going to do with all these??? 🤣

• Haha 3

spacer.png