You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vPilot handling of long haul disconnect for a break

Brian Carter

Brian Carter
Posted
Posted

Greetings virtual Pilots,

I have searched the forum and vPilot documents to find an answer but none are evident.

Here is the situation:

If I do a five to 15 hour flight I can't always sit at the keyboard to satisfy the Vatsim requirements. When I was using FSInn on FSX I used to just disconnect (without closing FSInn) for a few hours then reconnect and the flight just picked up and continued to completion.

Now I am using vPilot on P3DV4.5 and if I disconnected like I did with FSInn, the flight is logged as incomplete and when logging on again the flight plan is lost and it has to be refiled which basically creates two separate flights. Today I disconnected for only two hours during a 7 hour flight and I had to reload the flight plan for the second portion of the flight.

Is this how it is on vPilot or am I missing something? 

Cheers

Brian Carter

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hello Brian,

this is not specific to vPilot or any pilot client.

Once you have disconnected from VATSIM for x minutes, your flightplan gets erased to make sure somebody else could use your callsign and file a new flightplan. The reason is that once a flightplan has been filed and has been modified by ATC (add SID, assign XPDR code etc.), it is locked and pilots cannot modify it themselves anymore unless they log out for a few minutes to make sure the FPL gets released from the system.

And since FPLs get erased after some time being offline, tracking sites may not be able to connect the pieces of two flights to make it one.

Morten Jelle
Posted
Posted

What you can do is, just before you disconnect, click "Fetch Flightplan". Then vPilot grabs the latest version of your flightplan from the server. Then disconnect.

You can then refile the exact same flightplan when you reconnect. It will stay in vPilot unless you clear it.

• Like 1

Morten Jelle

VATSIM Network Supervisor, Team Lead - Supervisor Team 1

spacer.png

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Although it will still not solve his issue with his long flights not getting logged, because he never really finishes (the session before disconnecting) or starts (session after disconnecting) his flights.

Brian Carter
Posted
Posted

Thank you for your thoughts. I was hoping to "book" the flight for the duration of the full flight but have a disconnected section in the middle. I fully expect to be credited only with the time on line but at least the flight would be a single unit.

Therefore with vPilot, there is not really much point in doing long hauls on Vatsim unless I can stay online for the duration.

The disconnect/reconnect used to work fine on FSinn and FSX as long as you didn't close the FSinn program.

Cheers

Brian Carter

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Brian,

just to be sure we are all on the same page: this has nothing to do with vPilot. It will happen to you as well if you use FsInn, Squawkbox, xPilot, swift etc.. It's only happening, because the callsign that you use and the FPL that is attached to it, are "locked" for a few minutes only so you'd have the chance to re-connect after a SIM-crash or other reasons why your connection dropped, and continue your flight. Once this grace-period is over, the FPL is gone and you'd have to re-load it. This used to be different and was changed quite a few years ago.

Btw. in case that you are using SimBrief to dispatch your flights: you can export your flightplan in the format of vPilot and then load it within vPilot. So, after your break you could just re-load this FPL-file that you generated through SimBrief.

Edited by Andreas Fuchs

Richard Walsh
Posted
Posted

VPilot has nothing to do with it

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Richard Walsh said:

VPilot has nothing to do with it

What he said!

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

Hundreds of Real-World Airlines and Routes for you to fly at www.ndbair.com

5000seconds.jpg

Brian Carter
Posted
Posted

Thank you gents. You have answered my inquiry.

Regards

Brian Carter