You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

New to VATSIM, Would like to monitor frequency, what callsign to use?

Ruben Commijs

Ruben Commijs
Posted
Posted

Hello, Im about to jump into vatsim and i'd like to listen to active ATC first before starting to fly myself. however what callsign should i use when doing this?Β 

Greetings Ruben

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Ruben,

welcome to VATSIM!

What Flight-SIM are you using, what pilot client? Or are you intending to start ATC training? Judging from your name you are probably Dutch and would like to observe traffic and listen to ATC in Amsterdam.

If you want to do this in your FS, just take a Cessna or similar general aircraft and position yourself on the GA-apron in EHAM, then connect with a pilot client, the callsign is completely up to you, probably a civil Dutch registration would be appropriate, like PHRCO ("PH" for Holland and the three letters taken from your name initials. Make sure to not include the "dash" in the callsign, even if it is painted on the aircraft).

If you want to do this in your ATC program, probably Euroscope, download the sector files and setup of your VACC, load them in Euroscope and then connect as "OBSERVER", while the preferred login name would be three letters (your name initials, for example "RCO") and the suffic "_OBS", in your "RCO_OBS".

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the network, Ruben!

As a pilot, you can log in with a normal callsign at a gate on an airport and listen in. You don't have to have a special callsign. πŸ™‚

Check active airports by going to this link.

Β 

Also, I would advise you to check out the VATSIM Pilot Resource Centre for a lot of guides to get started, or if you are more of a video person, I can suggest you look up AviationPro's VATSIM Tutorials on Youtube.
Additionally, you should have a read through our rules, called the VATSIM Code of Conduct to make sure you aren't violating any rules that you don't know about. πŸ™‚

Have a great time on the network!

Mats Edvin AarΓΈ
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new

Ruben Commijs
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks, Planning my first flight for the evening. Just want to get familiar to how it works. So ill do some listening from plane's perspective and then flying tonight πŸ™‚

Edited by Ruben Commijs
  • Like 1