You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Frequency "rounding error"

Oliver Gruetzmann

Oliver Gruetzmann
Posted
Posted

Hi,

seems like Euroscope rounds frequencies in some places. Since the AFV ATIS has some issues from time to time, we use vATIS, which only allows for "real" 12,5 kHz frequencies (you can't tune the vatsimism 123.120, it only accepts 123.125).

Due to this, we started to also convert our frequencies to 12,5 kHz, which gives us one sector with the frequency 131.025. Unfortunately, although correctly displayed in the status bar, Euroscope will "convert" this to 131.030 when it comes to frequencies in alias, displayed frequencies in tag items and contact me messages.

Any chance to get this changed?

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

In all things for use on the network (Euroscope, VRC, Sectorfiles, etc...) frequencies should end in .XX0. Audio For VATSIM does work with 12,5kHz spacing (which is most probably why vATIS is showing that frequency), but you should NOT use 12,5kHz frequencies anywhere as of now.

All of this was explained very clearly to all Facility Engineers during the implementation of Audio For VATSIM, and is also explained in the Facility Engineers manual (available in the Audio For VATSIM Discord, Facility Engineers channel). The main reason for this is because older -legacy- clients would be unable to tune 12,5kHz frequencies, and therefore would be unable to communicate on these frequencies via text. In other words: 12,5kHz spacing must NOT be used for as long as the network supports clients like FSInn or Squawkbox.

Should you have any further doubts, please reach out in the Audio For VATSIM Discord, where all other Facility Engineers will be able to lend you a hand.

Me.

Oliver Gruetzmann
Posted
Posted (edited)

Before we did this our facility engineer asked about this on the relevant discord. Answer was, that it's fine.

Back to topic: This is a bug in Euroscope.

PS: In case a FSInn pilot using text comes by within the short timeframe until the servers get an update, I'll happily provide service via private message. I doubt it'll ever happen.

Edited by Oliver Gruetzmann

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Are you sure the answer was that it's fine?

imagen.thumb.png.e54737edf7e5fc85202511a1d32baaf9.png

It is not a bug in Euroscope; it is doing what it is expected to do, because that is how the current network infrastructure works. As was stated in the chat above, Audio For VATSIM will work fine with it, but other things (probably all other things) will break. The old infrastructure we currently work with was simply not designed to cope with it 🙃.

Me.

Oliver Gruetzmann
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm not in this Discord, but it might be. But It's a rather interesting interpretation to read this as

6 hours ago, Nestor Perez said:

but other things (probably all other things) will break

About it being a bug: Yes, it is always desired that a software accepts a user input, displays it correctly (as entred) in a prominent position and alters the output in other places in unexpected ways. Of course, no bug at all, this is actually how all software on this planet should work. Totally my fault in reporting it. 🙃

Edited by Oliver Gruetzmann

Oliver Gruetzmann
Posted
Posted

Disregard, the most recent Beta (r24) doesn't do this anymore.

Beta:index.png.8f55e496de030a3504d869a082aa68d8.png

Release: Screenshot_20200427_122551.png.c1f82222bd6539b1bfd4cb0e766e3526.png

$freq has been working as expected even in the stable release from 2014.

Oliver Gruetzmann
Posted
Posted

@Ernesto Alvarez 818262 after some testing: It's not the legacy clients (which you will rarely encounter these days). It's one of the current ones: XSquawkbox is doing some weird magic with frequencies and text. The other current clients do work.

But at least this corresponds with the name - The old Squawkbox was the reason we couldn't use 136.xxx frequencies for all these years. Great there's squawkbox...

This is one of the very few points that make me jealous of the other networt - they use the 8,33 kHz channels already (not sure how they deal with aircraft that do not support it), while we still struggle to use real 12,5 kHz.

PS: And the other issue: Seems like many controllers don't update their sector files.

• 2 weeks later...
Bernardo Reis
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2020 at 10:30 PM, Oliver Gruetzmann said:

@Ernesto Alvarez 818262 after some testing: It's not the legacy clients (which you will rarely encounter these days). It's one of the current ones: XSquawkbox is doing some weird magic with frequencies and text. The other current clients do work.

This is one of the very few points that make me jealous of the other networt - they use the 8,33 kHz channels already (not sure how they deal with aircraft that do not support it), while we still struggle to use real 12,5 kHz.

I also confirm that XSquawkbox is putting people on 136.020 if you ask them to go to 136.025.

In the other network, they ask pilots that do not have 8.33 channel spacing to insert the frequency using text commands.

Edited by Bernardo Reis