You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

My first week on vatsim. A thanks to everyone on my road!

Ruben Commijs

Ruben Commijs
Posted
Posted (edited)

So just over a week ago i began actively considering to fly on VATSIM. I was practising offline hard to fly SIDs and STAR's as i was scared by SIDs and STARs just over a week ago. Then came wednesday 22 april 2020. I made the decision to start observing from the gate and tune into the various frequencys that were active on EHAM. Later in the evening i checked the bookings and i noticed there would be alot of ATC available for the flight i trained offline the most. EDDM-EHAM/EHAM-EDDM. So my VATSIM adventure started right there. When i tuned into delivery for the first time to ask for IFR clearance i felt unsure as on what frequency i was as my flightsim (flightgear) kept jumping frequencys. However i figured out that it would still work. My first flight went okay, it was not a total disaster. I felt really good after i closed my sim. I really enjoy flying on VATSIM. Im not always bothered to go through planning but when i do i always have a enjoyable time. I considered joining in 2017 but i felt scared to join. Now in 2020 i did it. And i have been missing out for sure on the fun! Im still learning stuff and flightgear isnt always cooperative when it does not know some waypoints of a SID or STAR... (Im a little broke so i cant afford navigraph navdata yet) but i found ATC to be really helpfull! I ultimately want to participate in CTP but im affraid with my current hardware it will be a very very laggy experience. For now i will fly around europe doing flights i feel comfortable with in and out of Amsterdam. I have already flown 9 flights on vatsim and i plan to make much more flights on the network. I would like to thank all controllers i met on my way flying on VATSIM for their service(and ofcourse if i havent met you in the tower yet i also thank you for your ATC services) and their assistance when i didnt knew something the controllers always explained me what i had to do. Looking back to 2017 i think it was a wise move not flying on vatsim yet as back then i didnt knew as much as i do now. (I didnt even knew how to read charts back then) but i will enjoy my time on the network and im looking forward to awesome events to participate in! For my flightsim career VATSIM has been a welcome addition into my life and i just would like to say thank you!

See you on the network! - Ruben

tl;dr Thank you to all ATC's that have been helping me in my VATSIM 'career'

Edited by Ruben Commijs
  • Like 3

• Board of Governors
Gunnar Lindahl
Posted
Posted

Welcome!

GUNNAR LINDAHL 
## [email protected]
Facebook Twitter Instagram
VATSIM Logo

Ruben Commijs
Posted
Posted

Little late but thank you Gunnar! VATSIM already kept me busy 30h and im still not bored 🙂

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Completely off-topic -- however, I can't help but giggle at our new forum's representation of this conversation as occurring between a German Shepherd and a cat staring through a fishbowl.

• Haha 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png