You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Spawning at ramp before connecting to VATSIM.

Danny Schaye

Danny Schaye
Posted
Posted

Hello all,

I am new to VATSIM and very excited about all the things the network has to offer!

I have a question regarding initial connection to the server.

All the tutorials/lessons I have seen/read tell you to first spawn you aircraft at a ramp or gate and only after that to connect to VATSIM with the pilot client. I was wondering, what if an aircraft, already on the VATSIM network, is parked at the same ramp or gate you are parked at? Wouldn't your aircraft then crash immediately upon connecting? I would think that even if the aircraft don't actually physically collide, it would cause a lot of confusion for both the pilots parked at the same ramp/gate and ATC.

Why are you not required to request permission to 'spawn' at a certain ramp/gate before you actually connect?

Thank you!

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, Danny Schaye said:

Why are you not required to request permission to 'spawn' at a certain ramp/gate before you actually connect?

The simple answer, 95% of the time it will not be an issue. One day you may get unlucky or there happens to be a busy event, but then you just disconnect, move, and reconnect.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

If you want to be really really cautious, you can spawn in Observer mode, make sure the coast is clear, then disconnect and re-spawn in live mode.

But the overwhelming majority of VATSIM users keep crash detection off for this very reason, so, normally just spawn in.  If you happen to find yourself on top of someone, just disconnect and reposition.  No big deal.  Worst-case, you both sit there until one of you pushes back.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png