You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

XSquawkBox Linux quietly failing to connect audio

Robert Simac

Robert Simac
Posted
Posted (edited)

First of all, thanks much for great plugin. It works great, smooth, is lightweight and overall does its job as advertised.

Here is one possible bug or at least observation:

Most of the times, approximately 3 out of 5 times, when Connect-ing to the vatsim for the 1st time, after fresh xplane start, the Connect is succesful, I can hear see the 'voice connected' message, and hear the chime. Also, I am able to see 'who is online' - and tune to them. Also, I am able to pull the .atis if there is one. So far so good.

However, when trying to hear the local voices (twr, gnd, ctr), no luch. Just silence. Also when trying to do the radio check toward them, nothing. Mike open is indicated but nothing comes out.

This is what I do to repair the problem.
1. Disconnect
2. Setup Audio
3. Wiggle the controls. Yes, 'wiggle'. I tried hard, but was not able to reproduce the pattern or sequence of operations resulting in consistent success. Below is my audio setup, and after bit of wiggling between pulse and default, Connecting and Disconnecting back and forth, I am able to hear ATC (and they hear me). From that point all is working beautifully.
4. Rarely, maybe 1 out of 20 flights, this happens mid-flight, after good radio connection and communication, just silent disconnect. That is somewhat problematic, because there is no way for me to know when the radios went quiet.

I did peeked into datarefs, and the only thing I could see is the following two datarefs are at zero when the radios are silently down: input_peak and input_vu.  All the other refs are behaving exactly the same as when the voice is ok
Below is the state when all is good, as in 'after wiggling'. Note the good state was achieved also by various combinations of pulse,default input and outputs. There is no single winning combo.
image.thumb.png.23680ed386b5b1a60545a5b3473abaef.png

I understand this is curious problem. If solution as such is not feasible, maybe just adding an warning, or 'voice disconnected' msg/chime when input peak/vu are detected to be flat 0.

I am unable to attach log.txt to this post, but there is nothing significant within (at least nothing I could relate to the problem). At any rate log is available if needed.

Again, thanks for the great plugin and all the effort.

Robert

OS: Linux, Linux user-desktop 4.15.0-96-generic #97-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 1 03:25:46 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
log.txt for X-Plane 11.50b6 (build 115016 64-bit)

Added snippet of XSB lines in the log, to identify the version:

Attempting to start XSquawBox Plugin, version XSquawkBox VATSIM 2.1.
XSB: VATSIM Global Status found at "http://cluster.data.vatsim.net/vatsim-servers.txt"
XSB: Got Server Details for "AFVDATA"
XSB: Got Server Details for "CANADA"
XSB: Got Server Details for "GERMANY-1"
XSB: Got Server Details for "GERMANY-2"
XSB: Got Server Details for "SINGAPORE"
XSB: Got Server Details for "UK-1"
XSB: Got Server Details for "UK-2"
XSB: Got Server Details for "USA-EAST"
XSB: Got Server Details for "USA-WEST"
XSB:AL: Created Source
XSB: --- Refreshing Audio HW info ---
XSB: Found API 0 - querying devices
XSB: --- Finished Refresh Audio HW Info ---
XSB: VoiceMgr set input device "pulse"
XSB: VoiceMgr set output device "pulse"
XSB: Loading Notification Sound /mnt/c4e3802b-5d23-46d7-8b07-5acc00327899/X-Plane 11/Resources/plugins/XSquawkBox/64/../Resources/notify.wav
XSB: Loaded Notification Sound OK.  Handing buffer to OpenAL.
XSB:AL: Sample is 10469 samples, 44100Hz, 16 bits, 2 channels
XSB:AL: Created Buffer OK
XSB: Notification Sound Load Complete

Edited by Robert Simac
added xsb version log lines