You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Hello Boys , I'M BACK :p

• getting back up to speed

Maurice King

Maurice King
Posted
Posted

Hi All ,
The MozzMann has returned,  well sort of , I have been away from simming since the ORBX Forum closed and P3RD took over and am looking to return to some form of simming pursuits.
. The biggest question is whether or not FSX and so on is still supported and or what reinvestment I am going to have to make .
, I still have and use Teamspeak but Discord seems to be the Voice client or choice nowadays .
So anyone that can spare the time to assist this old fart in getting back up to speed would be appreciated, 

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Maurice King said:

. The biggest question is whether or not FSX and so on is still supported and or what reinvestment I am going to have to make .

FSX is still supported, Please check here  https://www.vatsim.net/documents/approved-software for the approved clients and find our which one is best for you, I recommend vPilot as it is simple and easy to use, you will also need a model matching library FLAI is the most popular http://flai.bvartcc.com/

1 hour ago, Maurice King said:

, I still have and use Teamspeak but Discord seems to be the Voice client or choice nowadays .

Not sure what exactly you are asking here, network voice is handled by the by the pilot client, and has not used an external program since the days of Roger Wilco, If you are asking what to use for a social aspect, then that depends on what group or organisation you wish to to be apart of, each vACC/Division/Region uses either one depending on their needs.

The vatsim Pilot Resource Centre is a good place to start https://www.vatsim.net/pilot-resource-centre

Edited by Kirk Christie

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

In VATUSA at least, it seems as though most ARTCCs use TeamSpeak for live control coordination, but they and most other sim-related organizations use Discord (text and voice) for more information exchange and social interaction.  That's a broad-brush generalization and I'm sure there are many notable exceptions. 

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Maurice King
Posted
Posted

Thanks Kirk , the reference to TS and So On was I am familiar with most Voice clients if they were still used but the first part of your answer covered that aspect > 

I'll see what bits I have still work and adapt as required , and get someone to run me through  the setup quickly one evening , since I have been here before I don't think it will take me long to catch back up. 

Brant Marshall
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Maurice King said:

Thanks Kirk , the reference to TS and So On was I am familiar with most Voice clients if they were still used but the first part of your answer covered that aspect > 

I'll see what bits I have still work and adapt as required , and get someone to run me through  the setup quickly one evening , since I have been here before I don't think it will take me long to catch back up. 

Heya,

First off, welcome back! VATSIM still does support FSX, along with P3D, X-Plane, etc.

If you're looking for a base sim that "looks good", I'd recommend X-Plane because it's the most visually appealing straight outta the box. However, there's scenery packs, airport sceneries, shaders, weather engines, etc. that all make any of the sims I listed look way better graphically. 

What I've noticed re: TeamSpeak or Discord is that most Divisions and Facilities end up using TeamSpeak (at least in VATUSA and VATCAN) for more of the "official" "professional" communications like when there are multiple controllers controlling airspace, and then Discord is more of a discussion tool to make announcements, chat, hang out and have off topic chats so there's definitely a pretty decent separation between the two but I would recommend keeping both on hand until you decide where you wanna go Division and Facility wise.

Otherwise, if you have any other questions feel free to ask, there's tons of people who know a lot about VATSIM and Simming, so you're definitely in the right place.

Either way, welcome back! 🙂