You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

May I become an Airline Pilot?

pile carls

pile carls
Posted
Posted (edited)

I want to be an Airline Pilot and I have read all the standards about it. I dont scare water, altitude, speed,..... Everthing seems not bad. But I have a fear. I am afraid to play most of Thrilling Games in Parks. Only one game I love playing is thrilling games about free fall. May I become an airline pilot with my stupid fear? I have tried to play that type of game but I still dont want to play it. Tell me if it affects to be an Airline Pilot? Thank you all!!שירותי ליווי בחיפה 

Edited by pile carls

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Before you attempt a flight on VATSIM, it is presumed that already know how to fly the plane.  At a minimum, to fly on the network, you must be able to: (a) maintain an assigned altitude when instructed, (b) maintain an assigned heading when instructed, (c) maintain an assigned airspeed when instructed, and (d) stop your taxiing aircraft on the ground when and where directed.  A basic ability to fly an approach (VFR, IFR visual, and/or IFR instrument-based) and land successfully is also highly recommended.

If you don't yet know how to do those things, your simulator software of choice most likely has some interactive tutorials you can run through to get the basics -- and there are plenty of YouTube videos from which you can gain some introductory skills to practice.  There are resources for Pilot Training within VATSIM too; however, most of those are geared toward teaching more procedural things like how to read and understand aeronautical charts and procedures, and how to communicate with Air Traffic Control.

So, in short -- learn the basics of flying an airplane before trying to connect to and fly on the VATSIM network.

Good luck!

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Samuel Rey
Posted
Posted

Robert - I think they meant a real life pilot!

spacer.png

New and want some help? Send me a message on Discord at GoodCrossing#4907!

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Yeah, I thought maybe the same, but I wasn't sure, so I answered in the context of where it was posted -- a flight simulation network.  It was also the only context in which I felt a useful answer was possible.  If he's really asking "do you think someone who's afraid of roller coasters can become an airline pilot" I don't think any of us are really able to provide any more than idle speculation as an answer.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Larobb Lee
Posted
Posted

Go to your local Airport with a flight school, FBO or pilot friend . Ask for a Demo Flight . See if you like it. just as simple as that.  Most of us will; Sleep, eat and  FLY then  repeat until you become an Airline pilot.