You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

XPilot Disconnecting

Matthew Whitmore

Matthew Whitmore
Posted
Posted

[Mod: merged]

We had an issue yesterday with access to the network. After logging in, we were disconnected after about 30 seconds with the message 'the server has failed to respond to the authentication challenge'.

We tried several times to log in but the same thing happened each time. We have not made any changes to our set-up.

Does anyone know what be causing this or how to overcome it?

Shayaan Ahmed
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello,

Have been having this problem for a while now. When I connect, either I cannot see any aircraft, or any ATC on some servers, and on others, it disconnects after about 2 mins saying that the server has failed to the authentication challenge. I have tried reinstalling both the latest beta and alpha release with no luck. I have tried all the available servers, different aircraft and different airport. Please help so I can continue flying on VATSIM. 

Thanks in Advance!

Edited by Shayaan Ahmed
Error was incorrect

Matthew Whitmore
Posted
Posted

Hi Shayaan

We had virtually the same issue yesterday and have also posted for help. There seems to be very little information on this problem. We were going to try re-installing the plug-in, but it sounds like that will be a waste of time.

We have used X-Pilot several times with no problems and all of a sudden this issue.

Our internet speeds seemed fine.

If I get any help I will let you know.

Surely Vatsim should be able to help here?

Shayaan Ahmed
Posted
Posted

Thanks, hopefully Vatsim will help us. 

Matthew Whitmore
Posted
Posted

We have had a play around today and it could be that our ethernet connection was compromised. It may be worth checking your internet connections and line speeds to just check if that is an issue for you also.

We have also changed to Germany 1, which is stable for now.

Let us know how you get on.

It would be really useful if Vatsim could list the various error messages and explain a little about each one and what to look for in order to troubleshoot. The message 'the server has failed to respond to the authentication challenge', doesn't mean much to mere mortals!!

Shayaan Ahmed
Posted
Posted
On 5/7/2020 at 6:40 PM, Matthew Whitmore said:

We have had a play around today and it could be that our ethernet connection was compromised. It may be worth checking your internet connections and line speeds to just check if that is an issue for you also.

It would be really useful if Vatsim could list the various error messages and explain a little about each one and what to look for in order to troubleshoot. The message 'the server has failed to respond to the authentication challenge', doesn't mean much to mere mortals!!

Ok, thanks. I will have a quick look now, see if that works

Shayaan Ahmed
Posted
Posted

Hey, thanks for your help, seems to be working well so far

Shayaan Ahmed
Posted
Posted
On 5/7/2020 at 6:40 PM, Matthew Whitmore said:

Hey, now even on Germany 1 it is doing the same thing, I honestly have no idea why

Shayaan Ahmed
Posted
Posted

Anyone have any idea?

Shayaan Ahmed
Posted
Posted

OK,  I have figured out this seems to be a problem in th UAE only. Please VATIM, BRING BACK THE SYDNEY OR UAE SERVERS. I cannot change my ISP as it isn't possible because of how Dubai manages the internet, and using a VPN will make the connection so bad the game will become unusable........

• 1 year later...
Stephen Hayes
Posted
Posted

Old thread but I've just experienced this myself ... and I believe resolved it, at least for me.  I had a vpn running and forgot to shut it off prior to connecting to vatsim.... had a few disconnects/reconnects/disconnects until I realized the vpn was running. I shut off the vpn and the vatsim "failure to respond to the authentication challenge" error was gone and my connection remained solid.