You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

When to ask for radar vectors?

Maks Rogoz

Maks Rogoz
Posted
Posted

Hello guys,

I was wondering when should I ask for radar vectoring if I'm unable to a SID/STAR. Should I do it early, even on DEL (if there is full ATC) or only on APP after take off? And the same situation with STAR - ask on CTR or only on APP?

Tom Szczypinski
Posted
Posted

If you are unable to fly a SID, you need to tell the delivery controller, who will be able to give you a "non-standard" clearance, otherwise you will be slowing your departure, along with the departure of others behind you.

When unable to fly a STAR, it depends on the situation. Whoever you tell though, make sure that you tell them way in advance, before the assigned STAR actually starts.

Same goes for anything else you as a pilot cannot perform; tell the controller that you are unable to perform an instruction in good time, and they will be able to accommodate you in most cases. Simply make sure not to leave it till the last minute!

Tom Szczypinski
VATSIM Primary Operations Inspector
VATSIM VA Audit Manager

3OFjrxm.png

Maks Rogoz
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tom Szczypinski said:

If you are unable to fly a SID, you need to tell the delivery controller, who will be able to give you a "non-standard" clearance, otherwise you will be slowing your departure, along with the departure of others behind you.

When unable to fly a STAR, it depends on the situation. Whoever you tell though, make sure that you tell them way in advance, before the assigned STAR actually starts.

Same goes for anything else you as a pilot cannot perform; tell the controller that you are unable to perform an instruction in good time, and they will be able to accommodate you in most cases. Simply make sure not to leave it till the last minute!

Aight, thank you very much!

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

You can also put no SID/STAR in your remarks.

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Lee Sacharin
Posted
Posted

Ditto as posted already....remarks section of your flt plan should state "No SID/STAR".  With that said, some airfields have other departure procedures that are designed for non-rnav aircraft.  They may either be radar-vector SID, or a pilot-nav SID that requires the pilot to do other navigation (such as join a VOR radial outbound, or fly multiple VOR radials (similar to an airway) for initial routing).  The flying a "green needle" (VOR) seems to be an art that is not easily understood or practiced on Vatsim.  There really isn't any reason an aircraft can not accept one of the non-rnav procedures (except for weather, etc.). 

Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Kirk Christie said:

You can also put no SID/STAR in your remarks.

To be honest, when I control a CTR position, I never read flight plans, let alone RMKs.

However, a simple 'unable' after receiving your arrival route, would trigger me to vector you through my sector. No problem at all.

Martijn

• Like 2

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

...or even make the request when you make your initial call with the ATCO that you expect your STAR-clearance or arrival instructions from. The more time we have to prepare for such a special case, the better (for you as well).

• Like 1