You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Unable to see traffic

Ro Richardson

Ro Richardson
Posted
Posted

HI IM RUNNING X PLANE 11.50B6 BUT I CANT SEEM TO SEE TRAFFIC ON ANY OF MY CONFIGURATIONS.. HELP !! 

I CAN HEAR ATC CLEARLY

SYSTEM IS OVER 40 FPS

BUT ITS FRUSTRATING NOT BEING ABLE TO SEE OTHER ONLINE AIRCRAFTS. PLEASE HELP ANYONE WOULD APPRECIATE IT 😊

Tom Szczypinski
Posted
Posted

XSB states it on their website that it will not support Vulkan (or any X-Plane experimental features that are in Beta) until XSB v3 is released. See the post here.

If you wish to use XSB, you will need to use a non-beta version (i.e. a 11.4 version). Otherwise, you'll have to use X-Pilot for now.

• Like 2

Tom Szczypinski
VATSIM Primary Operations Inspector
VATSIM VA Audit Manager

3OFjrxm.png

Nick Harasym
Posted
Posted

It is possible to use 11.50x builds, you just have to turn off Vulkan. Unless you use Xpilot as stated above. http://xpilot.clowd.io/

Please refrain from using all caps. Caps lock shouldn't be stuck on systems.

• Like 2
Nick Harasym
VATSIM Senior Developer
Team Lead, Infrastructure
## [email protected]
Facebook Twitter Instagram
VATSIM Logo

Ro Richardson
Posted
Posted

Thank you so much guys for the prompt reply, I turned off metal option and I can see !!! 🙂

a simple tick option was all I needed to save the day!! 

Thanks one in a million.

• 1 month later...
Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted

I always get the biggest kick out of pilots occasionally telling the controller they got run over by our 757. Apparently X-Plane buries their aircraft's below ground. We never see them. LOL

Michael

1.jpg

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted (edited)

It's all about the altitude information sent by the other pilots' clients and whether your client is able to place those aircraft at your airport elevation.

Edited by Andreas Fuchs

• 2 months later...
Michael Eamer
Posted
Posted

X-Plane 11.50 has been final for several days, I've updated to it from version 11.41  

I've read this thread and it seems to advise that Metal won't be supported until 11.50 is final

11.50 is indeed now final and I can communicate with ATC on Squawkbox without problems, they hear me, I can hear them

but I can't see other traffic around the airport I'm parked at although I know there are plenty of other 

fliers there.

Is this a continuing problem or am I missing out on something? when I was on open GL two days ago I had

no problems whatsoever seeing the other fliers online.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Michael,

are you using X-CSL models? If yes, you will have to convert them to a format the X-Plane 11.50 can actually render with Vulkan/Metal activated: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/51730-csl2xsb/

Michael Eamer
Posted
Posted

I am using only one plane to fly on Vatsim, the Zibo737/800x model. I would doubt that Zibo's plane needs anything done to it to make it compatible.

I read earlier that I will need Squawkbox 3 installed to be able to continue on Vatsim using Plane 11.50 Metal. I was wondering what the status of this new Squawkbox version 3 was. Is it ready yet, if not, can we get an idea as when it will be available?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted (edited)

No, I did not mean your flyable aircraft. I meant CSL models. What CSL models are installed on your system? The most commonly used CSL models for X-Plane at this time are BlueBell and X-CSL. Important: No models = no model set = no aircraft displayed in your simulator. In X-Plane you cannot use flyable aircraft (.acf-files) for this purpose.

I am not 100% up to date what XSquawkbox can do or cannot do in regards to Vulkan/Metal. If it is not compatible, you will not see any aircraft with Vulkan/Metal active, because the basic Mulitplayer workings of X-Plane have changed and clients need to be adapted for this. There are two other clients around that definitely are compatible with the new graphics engine of X-Plane. They are "xPilot" and "swift".

Edited by Andreas Fuchs

Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted
On 9/15/2020 at 4:44 AM, Michael Eamer said:

I read earlier that I will need Squawkbox 3 installed to be able to continue on Vatsim using Plane 11.50 Metal. I was wondering what the status of this new Squawkbox version 3 was. Is it ready yet, if not, can we get an idea as when it will be available?

As always, It'll be ready when it's ready.  I do not give release estimates until I'm sure I can hit them. 

You can always use the GL renderer for now, or if you must have vk/metal, please use another client if you can't wait.

I will not be cannibalising XSB 2.x for the X-Plane 11 users - I've always made it clear that X-Plane 10 was getting one last supported release, and that's what 2.x is.

I haven't had a lot of time the past few months to do anything, and in the few moments I've had, I've been largely trying to fix the TCAS support for 11.50 correctly so I can get back to finishing off the new UI.

• Like 2

XSquawkBox - Developer/Maintainer

Please post any support related questions to the XSquawkBox support forum rather than private messaging me, thanks.

Michael Eamer
Posted
Posted

Thanks for your reply, Mr Collins, I fully respect your position, and can appreciate your views. Benevolent work is the backbone of our hobby.

I recently updated to Plane 11.50 Metal and I'm not going back, this new version is phenomenal, just about no more stuttering and higher frame rates allowing smooth flying and an upgrade to rendering options as a bonus. I love online flying, as a matter of fact, other than the odd flight using the C172 with REP, 99% of my flying time is with the Zibo737/800x online. So, because of the constraints with XSquawkBox 2.0 I decided to try Swift.

After several hours following tutorials about installing Swift on a Mac from someone describing the process on a PC, I have given up, it's like pulling teeth!

So, I'll wait until the day you happily advise that XSquawkBox 3 is now ready and I'm sure I'm not the only one in line for that happy announcement.

Again, thanks for everything you and other volunteers are doing for the XPlane community, you guys are precious.

• 8 months later...
Robin Meads
Posted
Posted

Hello. I am running x-plane 11 1.53 with Squawkbox and Vatsim. The other "live" aircraft are black with no liveries. If I switch Vulkan on, the a/c & codes disappear, so I have switched it off and they re-appear.

I have tried substituting Bluebell CSL for the ones in Squawkbox in X-Plane 11/Resources/Plugins/Xsquawkbox/Resources/CSL. With Bluebell, I do not see any a/c, but I do see the codes. Often, the scrolling data shows that the a/c are invalid. The attached pic seems to show they are valid, but they cannot be seen.

Any ideas on how I can see the other a/c with liveries ?

CSL.jpg

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Looks like the CSL-format is not compatible with Vulkan and/or XSB is unable to appropriately access their files, hence the lack of aircraft models. Have they been registered/linked correctly within XSB? In case that you are using X-CSL models, you will have to convert them first to be compatible with XSB.

Regarding Bluebell: have you downloaded them recently? They received a major update in August last year that replaced all older versions of it.

Claude ROULLIER
Posted
Posted

Try to disable Vulkan / Metal, or install an other client (swift, X-Pilot).

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Andreas Fuchs said:

Isn't xSquawkbox supposed to work with Vulkan/Metal as well?

No, it doesn't.  Version 2.1 is still the latest available and it is NOT Vulkan compatible.  Last updates on version 3 on the official app website were posted fourteen months ago as of this writing.  Much as I respect that Chris's work and personal demands take precedence over the free work he does for VATSIM, my honest recommendation would be to use xPilot rather than continue to hold your breath for a version of xSquawkBox with Vulkan support.

Edited by Robert Shearman Jr
can't math
  • Like 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Ok, I had remembered that incorrectly, indeed! Thanks for the correction.

Robin, as Claude wrote, if you want to use Vulkan/Metal, you need to use another client: xpilot is a minimalistic client like vpilot and XSB, swift will also do the job and has more functions. I suggest you have a look at both:

http://xpilot-project.org/

https://docs.swift-project.org/doku.php?id=start

Robin Meads
Posted
Posted

Thanks everyone. I have converted to xPilot and that shows other a/c very well