You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Pull down menu (still) not working

Martin Henne

Martin Henne
Posted
Posted

Preface: There was another thread with this title, and the thread starter declared his problem solved, without providing any details. The thread has been closed with no solution provided.

For me, this problem is not solved and I assume to be not the only one having that problem. I want to start a productive exchange with others on what I tried and what they might have tried and maybe, the solution, that might has worked for the original threadstarter will be documented here. VATSIM and xPilot are available for free and I appreciate the work of the developers and the VATSIM community. So even if we don't find a fast solution, there's no reason to stop figuring out what might help or to get too frustated.

The problem: When selecting plugins->xPilot->settings in the X-Plane pull down menu, no settings window appears.

xPilot versions tested and behaviour: When using alpha versions of xPilot (tried 1.3.7 and 1.3.10) it is absolutely necessary to provide a path to the CSL-Files to get them working. The Beta version (I tried 1.2.1) recognized the CSL path automatically (at least on my system). When working on the problem, that no other aircraft can be seen, the first suggestion that comes up (to open the settings menu and check the settings) can't be applied. The settings does neither appear on xPilot 1.2.1, nor on 1.3.7 or 1.3.10.

X-Plane Version and settings: I am using X-Plane Beta 11.50 with Vulkan and I learned already, that the beta of xPilot is not fully compatible with vulkan. I tried switching to OpenGL and tested all three xPilot versions (1.2.1, 1.3.7 and 1.3.10) again. Still no pull down menu.

At least xPilot 1.3.7 produced a lot of crashes for me, while 1.2.1 works fine (except for the pull down menu and not showing other aircraft), so I am able to use VATSIM with X-Plane 11.50 BETA Vulkan, which is great nevertheless.

Any help would be appreciated.

best regards

Martin

Paul Woods
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Martin Henne said:

Preface: There was another thread with this title, and the thread starter declared his problem solved, without providing any details. The thread has been closed with no solution provided.

For me, this problem is not solved and I assume to be not the only one having that problem. I want to start a productive exchange with others on what I tried and what they might have tried and maybe, the solution, that might has worked for the original threadstarter will be documented here. VATSIM and xPilot are available for free and I appreciate the work of the developers and the VATSIM community. So even if we don't find a fast solution, there's no reason to stop figuring out what might help or to get too frustated.

The problem: When selecting plugins->xPilot->settings in the X-Plane pull down menu, no settings window appears.

xPilot versions tested and behaviour: When using alpha versions of xPilot (tried 1.3.7 and 1.3.10) it is absolutely necessary to provide a path to the CSL-Files to get them working. The Beta version (I tried 1.2.1) recognized the CSL path automatically (at least on my system). When working on the problem, that no other aircraft can be seen, the first suggestion that comes up (to open the settings menu and check the settings) can't be applied. The settings does neither appear on xPilot 1.2.1, nor on 1.3.7 or 1.3.10.

X-Plane Version and settings: I am using X-Plane Beta 11.50 with Vulkan and I learned already, that the beta of xPilot is not fully compatible with vulkan. I tried switching to OpenGL and tested all three xPilot versions (1.2.1, 1.3.7 and 1.3.10) again. Still no pull down menu.

At least xPilot 1.3.7 produced a lot of crashes for me, while 1.2.1 works fine (except for the pull down menu and not showing other aircraft), so I am able to use VATSIM with X-Plane 11.50 BETA Vulkan, which is great nevertheless.

Any help would be appreciated.

best regards

Martin

Really really sorry but they closed my post because I was being accused of ranting and raving which is not really the case but is how they chose to see it . Anyway I can personally understand your frustration and I will find out what was done to solve the issue of not seeing AC in x pilot for myself and comeback to you when I can . There are a number of people all having the same problem and I would like to see resolution for all concerned . Will do what I can when I can . Gonna do some digging later on today .

Martin Henne
Posted
Posted

Hello Paul, thank you. Looking forward to your ideas. Maybe a newer version someday in the not too distant future will also help.

Martin

(Btw: I am not frustrated. xPilot is free software, so I don't see myself in the position to make demands or to be frustated.)

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Martin Henne said:

Hello Paul, thank you. Looking forward to your ideas. Maybe a newer version someday in the not too distant future will also help.

Martin

(Btw: I am not frustrated. xPilot is free software, so I don't see myself in the position to make demands or to be frustated.)

Hi Martin,

Are you by chance running X-Plane with multiple monitors (i.e your sim extends across two or more monitors)?

Also, can you check to see if a config.json file got created in the X-Plane\Resources\plugins\xPilot\Resources folder?

Can you upload your X-Plane log.txt file to a file sharing website, such as Google Drive?

Edit: If you do have multiple monitors, but only one is used for X-Plane, try setting the second monitor to "Full Screen Simulator" and then try opening the settings again and check if the settings window appears on the second screen.

Edited by Justin Shannon

Controller (C3), Los Angeles ARTCC
Developer: xPilot, vATIS

Martin Henne
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello Justin. Yes, I use 3 of my monitors for X-plane. In total I have 8 monitors connected. I use two for AirManager, One is a part of the RealSimGear GNS 430 and three are for the 3D view of X-Plane (one 75" front screen, two 27" side windows). The other two monitors are on a desk next to my sim. I sometimes run SkyDemon on one of them while flying.

I put the Config.json and the Log.txt in this folder: 81.169.140.27/jshannon/ . I will remove them in a few days when you had a chance to download them.

Thank you for working on the issue.

best regards

Martin

Edited by Martin Henne

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Martin Henne said:

Hello Justin. Yes, I use 3 of my monitors for X-plane. In total I have 8 monitors connected. I use two for AirManager, One is a part of the RealSimGear GNS 430 and three are for the 3D view of X-Plane (one 75" front screen, two 27" side windows). The other two monitors are on a desk next to my sim. I sometimes run SkyDemon on one of them while flying.

I put the Config.json and the Log.txt in this folder: 81.169.140.27/jshannon/ . I will remove them in a few days when you had a chance to download them.

Thank you for working on the issue.

best regards

Martin

Hi Martin,

Give the newest alpha version (1.3.11) a try and let me know if the GUI windows work for you.

Thanks.

Edit: Disregard; The "fix" in the new release prevents the GUI window from being moved around. Back to the drawing board.

Edit: Give 1.3.12 a try and let me know if you can see the GUI windows.

Edited by Justin Shannon

Martin Henne
Posted
Posted

Hello Justin, I just tried. No joy. I just created a new folder on my server and put the files there, in case they help. same address as above. If I can try more, just let me know.

Martin

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Martin Henne said:

Hello Justin, I just tried. No joy. I just created a new folder on my server and put the files there, in case they help. same address as above. If I can try more, just let me know.

Martin

Thanks; it’ll be a couple of dats before I can look at them. Can you confirm for me that none of the plugin GUI windows work? Or is it just the settings window?

Martin Henne
Posted
Posted

Hello Justin, yes, I can confirm that all dialogs in the xPilot Pull-Down-Menu are affected. none appears.

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

Can you try running X-Plane using just one monitor and try opening the xPilot preferences window?

Martin Henne
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello @Justin Shannon. Sorry for not answering earlier. I will try that on the weekend and report the result here. Do you still need the logfiles (the old ones)? and do you need logs for the one-monitor-test?

EDIT (Friday): I just tried using only one Monitor in the X-Plane configuration. Unfortunately, I did not see the xPilot settings window. What I didn't try, is to disconnect the monitor physically, because with my homecockpit installation, connectors are not easily accessible. But I did set all monitors but one to "unused" instead of "full 3d view" (or something like that), so I saw the desktop background on them.

Then i tried to open the plugins->xPilot->settings menu - nothing happened.

I noticed, that the AI traffic re-appears when I shut down xPilot. In the ADS-B-Traffic warning as well as in the 3D view. There was no traffic at all with xPilot running. I just uploaded the Log.txt and the Config.json to the usual place.

Thank you!

Martin

Edited by Martin Henne
Updated the result of the next test.

Martin Henne
Posted
Posted

I guess that there's nothing more to do at the moment from my side. I will continue using the BETA for now and I will test new versions every now and then. Let me know, If you want me to perform a specific test or something.

Martin

• 3 weeks later...
Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted
On 6/2/2020 at 5:00 AM, Martin Henne said:

I guess that there's nothing more to do at the moment from my side. I will continue using the BETA for now and I will test new versions every now and then. Let me know, If you want me to perform a specific test or something.

Martin

Hi Martin,

Can you give the latest alpha version a try (as of writing, 1.3.15). I made a couple tweaks to the GUI window handling and I'm curious if it fixes your problem.

Martin Henne
Posted
Posted

Hello Shannon. I will try that within the next few days and will give feedback here!

• 4 weeks later...
Martin Henne
Posted
Posted

@Justin Shannon It took a while for me to find the time for another testrun. Te current status is: The pull down menus seem to work now. But when I use xPilot Version 1.3.19 x-plane crashes before I get a chance to check if I could see other traffic now or if it works in general. xPilot 1.2 does not cause the crash so even if I neither see the pull down menus nor I could see other traffic, I stick with it.

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Martin Henne said:

@Justin Shannon It took a while for me to find the time for another testrun. Te current status is: The pull down menus seem to work now. But when I use xPilot Version 1.3.19 x-plane crashes before I get a chance to check if I could see other traffic now or if it works in general. xPilot 1.2 does not cause the crash so even if I neither see the pull down menus nor I could see other traffic, I stick with it.

Can you upload your X-Plane log.txt after the crash occurs? Also, look for a crash dump file and upload that as well.