You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Equalizing transmitting volumes

Luke vanderHeijden

Luke vanderHeijden
Posted
Posted

I noticed during a flight today that the transmitting volumes of pilots are quite far apart. Some pilots are difficult to understand due to low transmitting volume while some pilots blow out your eardrums when transmitting. Would it be possible to implement in the audio software something the equalizes the volumes of all pilots to a certain level, by boosting the low volume speakers and slightly muting the high volume speakers. The controller can then decide with their computer volume at what volume they want to recieve the transmissions. DJ software already has this kind of function for equalizing the volumes of different tracks, so it should be possible somehow. 

• Like 7

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

That would be a very welcome addition! As I usually control, I encounter a wide range of volume in pilots under my control and some really hurt my ears, while some are barely readable.

spacer.png

ACCNL4 (Training Director) - Dutch VACC

• 3 weeks later...
Gary Oliver
Posted
Posted (edited)

The main issue with differing volume levels is controllers being afraid to tell pilots to calibrate their mics properly.  Automatic gain has been on the todo list for a while.  I am sure when Mark or myself get some enthusiasm we will get that done... Still at least its better than old voice 🙂

Cheers

Gary

AFV Lead Dev

Edited by Gary Oliver
  • Like 1