You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

xPilot 1.3.14-Alpha Now Available

Justin Shannon

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted (edited)

Version 1.3.14-Alpha of xPilot is now available for download from the web site, or via the automatic update utility built into the pilot client (if you have the "Alpha" update channel selected in the settings).

The following items were changed, added or fixed in this version:

• Add menu option (in X-Plane) to disable TCAS
  • Additional validation on remote aircraft type codes (Max 4 characters. If dash exists, get text left of dash (e.g. B737-700 = B737))
  • Automatically replace forward slash (/) with backslash (\) in CSL path configuration

It is very important that you close X-Plane completely before installing xPilot. Failure to do so will prevent xPilot from being installed correctly.

If you're experiencing crashes, try disabling xPilot TCAS. After loading X-Plane (and before connecting to the network), locate the "Disable TCAS" option in the plugin menu (Plugins > xPilot > disable TCAS). Checking this menu item will prevent xPilot from enabling TCAS once connected to the network.

Edited by Justin Shannon

Controller (C3), Los Angeles ARTCC
Developer: xPilot, vATIS

Marc Sieffert
Posted
Posted

Hi! I have two questions please.

First is it possible to use X Pilot ALPHA 1.3.14 also with X Plane 11.40 or only with X Plane 11.50?

Second question, is it possible to have two installations on the same computer, one with X Plane 11.40 and X Pilot Beta (v1.2.1.0)   and one with Plane 11.50 /Vulkan with xPilot ALPHA  1.3.14 . X plane installations are on my drive D (including X Pilot plugin). X Pilot, the system, is saved under C:\Users\AppData\Local. In other words, is it OK to add  xPilot ALPHA  additionally on C so that X Plane 11.40 will use X Pilot Beta (v1.2.1.0) and X Plane 11.50 xPilot ALPHA ? I am asking this because X Plane 11.40 with X Pilot Beta is working very smoothly and I have the feeling that X Plane 11.50 + X Pilot Alpha will need a bit of time to reach the same stability... Therefore I would prefer to have two installations...

Thanks a lot!

francisco sussmann
Posted
Posted
good I have problems with the new update of xplane 11.5 b that I do not hear the ocntroladores nor I see the airplanes on line

Marc Sieffert
Posted
Posted

It would be great to get an answer on the two points below:

- First is it possible to use X Pilot ALPHA 1.3.14 also with X Plane 11.40 or only with X Plane 11.50?

- Second question, is it possible to have two installations (one X plane 11.40 and one X Plane 11.50) on the same computer, one working with X Pilot Beta (v1.2.1.0)   and one with xPilot ALPHA  1.3.14 ? Or is it necessary to uninstall one of them and always have only one version on a same computer?

Thanks a lot!!

Robert Grant
Posted
Posted
On 6/8/2020 at 7:17 PM, Marc Sieffert said:

It would be great to get an answer on the two points below:

- First is it possible to use X Pilot ALPHA 1.3.14 also with X Plane 11.40 or only with X Plane 11.50?

- Second question, is it possible to have two installations (one X plane 11.40 and one X Plane 11.50) on the same computer, one working with X Pilot Beta (v1.2.1.0)   and one with xPilot ALPHA  1.3.14 ? Or is it necessary to uninstall one of them and always have only one version on a same computer?

Thanks a lot!!

+1 I have exactly the same question.

Regards

Rob

P1/P2/P3 /C3/ VATAME1 (retired)

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

I can answer question 1.  I'll defer to Justin and others on question 2.

If you're running XP11.41, xPilot 1.2.1 is sufficient, and works well in my experience.  If you choose to upgrade to xPilot 1.3.14, that SHOULD also work on XP11.41.

If you run the XP11.5 beta in Vulkan mode, you need xPilot 1.3.14 or greater for sure.  You MAY be able to run xPilot 1.2.1 if you stay in OpenGL mode, but that part I'm not 100% sure about.

Hope that helps while waiting for more answers about dual installations.  I think it works fine if you specify SEPARATE INSTALL DIRECTORIES for each, but, don't hold me to that.

• Thanks 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

Robert is correct. You can have two version of xPilot on the same machine, but they must installed in two different folders (you can specify the folder during the installation process). 

• Thanks 1

Marc Sieffert
Posted
Posted

Thanks!!

Then I would have two different shortcuts on my desktop, correct?

And when I open X Plane I can select the shortcut (X Pilot version) I want to use. Correct?

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Marc Sieffert said:

Then I would have two different shortcuts on my desktop, correct?

Yes, running the installer twice should create two separate shortcuts. If it doesn't, you will need to manually create the desktop shortcuts.

11 minutes ago, Marc Sieffert said:

And when I open X Plane I can select the shortcut (X Pilot version) I want to use. Correct?

Yes.

• Thanks 1

Marc Sieffert
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks a lot!!

I read that there were some issues with the latest Alpha version leading to make  X Pilot Beta (v1.2.1.0) available again. Are these problems now solved?

From my side I could install it without any problems and made a little test on an airport and could see the other planes and made a radio check. I will make a test flight tomorrow but if there is anything still problematic with this latest alpha version  it would be great to know it beforehand.

I have also a little technical question, is it mandatory to enter the frequency manually in the plane or is there a possibility to click somewhere in the X Pilot communication screen to get the frequencies directly active?

Thank you again for your support!

Edited by Marc Sieffert

• Justin Shannon unpinned this topic
Daniel Mckee
Posted
Posted

If one has two versions of xPilot does one then have two plugins in X-Plane?

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Daniel Mckee said:

If one has two versions of xPilot does one then have two plugins in X-Plane?

If you only have one copy of X-Plane, then you would need to swap out the plugin depending on the version of xPilot you’re running. You can only have one xPilot plugin installed per X-Plane instance. 

• Thanks 1

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted
On 6/17/2020 at 3:47 AM, Marc Sieffert said:

There has been many improvements to the alpha code since it’s initial release. I wouldn’t suggest running the beta any longer (which will soon be disabled anyways). As with any software, there is room for any uncertainty. If you encounter a crash, then the best thing to do is provide the appropriate logs and crash dump files so it can be fixed. 

As for the frequency, if you open the Nearby ATC window, you can double click on a controller in the list to automatically tune your COM 1 radio. 

Marc Sieffert
Posted
Posted

Thank you!!

Actually I did a Test flight today with xPilot ALPHA  1.3.15 (the latest version just issued) and everything went really well (X Plane 11.41 and Windows). Just one question. I selected a specific key for the functionality "toggle visibility of X pilot", under settings. When I am full screen and I press this key the X Pilot screens open but together with this mask also the Windows task bar (the one at the bottom) opens also. This was not the case before. Did I do something wrong perhaps?

Marc Sieffert
Posted
Posted

Just to confirm, I checked again, when I am in X Plane full screen, and when I use the functionality "toggle visibility of X pilot" by hitting the key to which I allocated this functionality, the Windows task bar is not activated with X Pilot  Beta (v1.2.1.0)  but is activated with xPilot ALPHA  1.3.15. 

@Justin, could you please check if you have the same issue on your side and let me know how to get rid of this small but a bit enoying problem.

Thanks a lot!!

Marc

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Marc Sieffert said:

Just to confirm, I checked again, when I am in X Plane full screen, and when I use the functionality "toggle visibility of X pilot" by hitting the key to which I allocated this functionality, the Windows task bar is not activated with X Pilot  Beta (v1.2.1.0)  but is activated with xPilot ALPHA  1.3.15. 

@Justin, could you please check if you have the same issue on your side and let me know how to get rid of this small but a bit enoying problem.

Thanks a lot!!

Marc

Hi Marc,

I just tried this with both version of xPilot, as well as X-Plane 11.41 and 11.50b11 and all produce the same results for me: the Windows taskbar becomes visible when toggling the xPilot client.

I have not made any code changes to the "toggle" functionality between the two versions of xPilot, so I don't have an answer for you.

Marc Sieffert
Posted
Posted

OK, then I was lucky with the BETA version not to have the Windows task bar appearing... Would it be possible to set up the "toggle" functionality of x pilot without having the window task bar appearing when you open X pilot? In the same way that the task bar is not appearing when you open "text messages". I allocated a key to text messages and when I open this one, no window task bar appears - I assume this one is the same for you as well... 

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, Marc Sieffert said:

OK, then I was lucky with the BETA version not to have the Windows task bar appearing... Would it be possible to set up the "toggle" functionality of x pilot without having the window task bar appearing when you open X pilot? In the same way that the task bar is not appearing when you open "text messages". I allocated a key to text messages and when I open this one, no window task bar appears - I assume this one is the same for you as well... 

I am not aware of a way to accomplish what you're asking for. As far as I'm aware, it's a Windows limitation. The "Text Window" is a window contained within X-Plane, so it wouldn't toggle the Windows taskbar.

• Thanks 1

Robert Grant
Posted
Posted

I have a slightly different result using the XPilot toggle when in full screen. When I tap the assigned key - nothing happens! The XPilot window does not appear. The task bar doesnt appear either.

Regards

Rob

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Robert Grant said:

I have a slightly different result using the XPilot toggle when in full screen. When I tap the assigned key - nothing happens! The XPilot window does not appear. The task bar doesnt appear either.

Try running xPilot as an administrator. 

Robert Grant
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Justin Shannon said:

Try running xPilot as an administrator. 

I always do Justin.

Another interesting thing I just saw. If I have the XPilot window visible then hit the toggle key the XPilot window will disappear as it is supposed to but then will not appear when I hit the toggle button again. I have to use the alt-tab combo to bring it up again.

Regards

Rob

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Robert Grant said:

I always do Justin.

Another interesting thing I just saw. If I have the XPilot window visible then hit the toggle key the XPilot window will disappear as it is supposed to but then will not appear when I hit the toggle button again. I have to use the alt-tab combo to bring it up again.

Hmmm interesting. I’m afraid I don’t know why this is happening to you. 

Robert Grant
Posted
Posted

UPDATE: out of curiosity I uninstalled and reinstalled. Checked the shortcut to Run as Administrators as I always do and cleaned my keyboard.

Now it works. Thanks for all suggestions.

Regards

Rob

• 2 months later...
Robert Grant
Posted
Posted

@justin Hello again. and thanks for the work with xpilot.

Any further development on being able to run xpilot on a separate client machine over a network?

Regards

Rob