You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Statistics For Past Years???

Aharon Dayan

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

How do I find specific flight details of any or each of my Vatsim flights for past years?  I want to look at flight details of my Vatsim flights in year 2015 and pick one flight to get waypoint routes, airport codes, and type of aircraft used for that flight that I flew on Vatsim in year 2015?

Thanks,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Dace Nicmane said:

@Dace Nicmane,

That does not show waypoints and information on my Vatsim flights from year 2015

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Ryan Bentley said:

@Ryan Bentley,

Do not understand this hyperlink.   It shows me some programming codes.  I need to look at my Vatsim flights, their waypoint routes, airports, and type of aircrafts from year 2015.

Regards,

Aharn

CQwL8Nm.png

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Aharon Dayan said:

@Dace Nicmane,

That does not show waypoints and information on my Vatsim flights from year 2015

Regards,

Aharon

I checked and it looks like we have data loss here. My own flight plans from 2016 and even 2019 are missing too. I don't know who to ping but this should come to the attention of our technical staff.

• Like 1
KntU2Cw.jpg

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted

noplans.jpg

• Like 1
KntU2Cw.jpg

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

@Dace Nicmane,

Yeah   That is exactly why I am asking here and around if there is any website that show all Vatsim flights, their waypoints, their airports, and their types of aircrafts using any year search

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted

There's no other website but let's hope this is a temporary error related to the infrastructure change we're having and they have a backup somewhere with all our data.

KntU2Cw.jpg

Nick Harasym
Posted
Posted

This change happened during our data migration to new systems a few months back. This data is rarely looked at eats up valuable resources. We took the data out of "hot storage" and now its stored cold. We still have the data, its just not in a form that can be consumed through stats.vatsim.net

Nick Harasym
VATSIM Senior Developer
Team Lead, Infrastructure
## [email protected]
Facebook Twitter Instagram
VATSIM Logo

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Aharon Dayan said:

@Ryan Bentley,

Do not understand this hyperlink.   It shows me some programming codes.  I need to look at my Vatsim flights, their waypoint routes, airports, and type of aircrafts from year 2015.

It's showing you structured text, and has the data you want (maybe not all of it).

Cheers!

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Nick Harasym said:

We took the data out of "hot storage" and now its stored cold. We still have the data, its just not in a form that can be consumed through stats.vatsim.net

@Nick Harasym,

It is not problem. Is there any way from any website that I can look up on history of each of my flights from past all years that will tell me waypoints, airports, and type of aircraft, please??

Regards,

Aharon

Edited by Aharon Dayan
CQwL8Nm.png

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Luke Kolin said:

It's showing you structured text, and has the data you want (maybe not all of it).

Cheers!

I still do not understand. It shows me Easyjet flights which are NOT my flights. I never flew for EasyJet

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted

That's because it's not showing your flights - put your VATSIM ID into that URL.

Cheers!

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Luke Kolin said:

put your VATSIM ID into that URL.

Yeah, luke

It is working BUT shows only flights dating back to Feb 25, 2020. I need flights from any year such as 2017 or 2015

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Nick Harasym
Posted
Posted
On 5/29/2020 at 1:20 PM, Aharon Dayan said:

@Nick Harasym,

It is not problem. Is there any way from any website that I can look up on history of each of my flights from past all years that will tell me waypoints, airports, and type of aircraft, please??

Regards,

Aharon

Currently this isn't possible. The data is stored in a way that isn't usable by a website. 

Nick Harasym
VATSIM Senior Developer
## [email protected]
VATSIM Logo

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

I hate to say it, but, this is yet another example of how a change in the delivery of services to the userbase was made with no prior announcement, leaving many to find out only after the fact.  Changes to the datafeeds affected many third-party stat and logging websites.  The shutdown of the Sydney FSD server has made staying connected difficult for many.  The retirement of X-Plane clients without low sim-rate detection was at least *generally* known to be coming *eventually*, but when it finally happened to XSB 1.3, it was without any announcement leaving its users to wonder why they suddenly couldn't connect.  Now, much historical data was archived and cannot be accessed.  I'm appreciative of all the behind-the-scenes work that the tech team does to keep the network running -- I just wish less of it was behind-the-scenes. 

• Like 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Nick Harasym
Posted
Posted

Hey Robert,

We do have plans to do some blog type posts with information regarding the changes we have been implementing. A decent part of the software stack running Vatsim is starting to be replace with software written recently. Some of our tooling does dates back to early vatsim days. When we work to implement changes that shouldn't cause impact they are tested ahead of time but we can't always test every edge case. 

Regarding older data, most people aren't looking at data older than a year. Storing this data becomes costly which is why we decided to archive a large chunk of the flight plans table in our database.

Regarding keeping things "less ... behind-the-scenes", what format would you like to see for this kind of information?

• Like 1
Nick Harasym
VATSIM Senior Developer
## [email protected]
VATSIM Logo

Andrew Ogden
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Nick Harasym said:

Regarding keeping things "less ... behind-the-scenes", what format would you like to see for this kind of information?

Removing my developer hat and replacing it with my consumer hat, transparency in some areas is lacking. It's less than pleasing when a change is made without notice, and whilst sometimes they seem minor enough to the developer, to the consumer they may mean a bit more than that. A clear announcement describing the change and when it'll occur would go a long way. It's a win/win for everyone, the consumer is happy (at least most of the time 😛) with the transparency and the developer isn't being hounded 🙂. The network status page is a step in the right direction, perhaps it could be complimented with a changelog page?

Regarding older data, most people aren't looking at data older than a year. Storing this data becomes costly which is why we decided to archive a large chunk of the flight plans table in our database

Explaining something as simple as this would have been very appropriate before the change, rather than after the fact.

Edited by Andrew Ogden

Andrew Ogden
Gander Oceanic OCA Chief
Vancouver FIR Senior Instructor

Visit us: https://ganderoceanic.ca

CZQO LogoCZVR Logo

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

Quick question: is it possible to have a website function that will allow any Vatsim pilot to press a button to download logbook of all Vatsim flights of all years in spreadsheet format that will show airport codes, type of plane, waypoints, duration time, and call signs?? This can beat cost of storing chunks of data.

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Nick Harasym
Posted
Posted

Hey Aharon,

To handle a request like that we would have to have the data in a "hot" like state so that it can be queried. We might be able to make it available in the future in a less "reliable way". What I mean by reliable way is currently we replicate our main databases three times over three machines. Something like this would end up on only one machine.

At this time I can't comment on a timeline for this.

Nick Harasym
VATSIM Senior Developer
## [email protected]
VATSIM Logo

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
On 6/6/2020 at 6:07 PM, Nick Harasym said:

Regarding older data, most people aren't looking at data older than a year. Storing this data becomes costly which is why we decided to archive a large chunk of the flight plans table in our database.

Out of curiosity, how much data are we talking about?

Cheers!

Luke

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
On 6/6/2020 at 6:07 PM, Nick Harasym said:

There's a subforum on this very site called "Announcements and Important Notices."  A post there entitled "SYD-1 server to be decommissioned" or "Past flightplan data to be archived," each with maybe a week's notice, would've been more than sufficient. 

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

@Nick Harasym,

Thanks for interesting answer

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png