You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Usage of UNICOM

Matei Miron

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Raul Ferraz said:

don't quote only partial parts of the message

Sorry, you're correct: your point was about finding an official recommendation, and I missed that. :(

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

• 1 month later...
Michael Eamer
Posted
Posted

When I'm on UNICOM, I communicate most of the time via text because the written word is clear, concise and permanent. It is free of any accents, interference, static, mumbling, saying the wrong thing, weak or fading signal and can be verified and corrected if required. I do use voice also but mostly while at the airport during taxiing. On one occasion, I was told that I communicated too much but personally, I believe it is my responsibility to let the other fliers know what I'm up to, guesswork is a no no in this business the way I see it.

Michael Eamer
Posted
Posted
On 5/30/2020 at 6:42 PM, Matei Miron said:

Hi everybody!

I am flying a lot between LOWW and LROP and I noticed something relatively bothering.

On both airports, at night, there are many pilots performing takeoffs and landings without communicating over UNICOM (or tower). I am usually monitoring tower on my secondary radio and there, there was also no communication.

I think the usage of UNICOM reports in such situations should be more encouraged.

Also I would like to take the opportunity to ask the community what is the position regarding controllers that log in to quickly depart a friend, and the log off? I mean, while everybody is here to have fun and in their free time, this happened to me a couple of times already, when I already had my flight plan submitted, and just getting ready to get my clearance. 

Regards!

Michael Eamer
Posted
Posted
On 5/30/2020 at 6:42 PM, Matei Miron said:

Also I would like to take the opportunity to ask the community what is the position regarding controllers that log in to quickly depart a friend, and the log off? I mean, while everybody is here to have fun and in their free time, this happened to me a couple of times already, when I already had my flight plan submitted, and just getting ready to get my clearance. 

Ah! Those surprise logons really jolt your attention, don't they?😉

Torben Andersen
Posted
Posted

Many vACC has rules on this. In Scandinavia minimum logon time is 30 min. But it is for the local vACC to decide.

Torben Andersen, VACC-SCA Controller (C1)