You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Connecting to VATSIM with FSX (October 06)

Ruth McTighe 824054

Ruth McTighe 824054
Posted
Posted (edited)

It's out! Microsoft's long-awaited Flight Simulator X has been released, and flight simmers everywhere are trying it out. VATSIM is ready and waiting for you to try it online.

FSInn 1.2 is the software you need to connect FSX to the VATSIM servers, and it can be downloaded free from www.mcdu.com For those of you who use Squawkbox 3, the FSX compatible version (Squawkbox 4) is currently in closed beta testing and should be available soon.

If you have found this website through FSX, we welcome you to VATSIM - online flying really "as real as it gets". Please browse through the website, and in particular the Pilot Resource Center at www.vatsim.net/prc We look forward to your company - you'll soon be as addicted as we are!

Ruth McTighe

VATGOV7

Vice President - Communications

Edited by Guest

Ruth McTighe

Heathrow Director, Essex Radar, Thames Radar, London Information

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]t webmistress CIX VFR Club http://www.cixvfrclub.org.uk/

Webmistress Plan-G http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/

Now not a VATanything

• 4 weeks later...
Walter McCullough 987038
Posted
Posted

microsoft fsx is as good as it gets. access vr flight through fsx own screens and with the d/l (at vatsims prc site)add ons fsinn 1.2 , or squawk box for earlier versions i got radar control atc view, voice chat or text chat, and more...

the problems encountered were due me needing to read up on how to connect to vatsims through fsx multplayer or free flight , either way u will need add on d/l and follow the instructions of both vatsim and fsx and u should connect it is a little tricky at first but the more u try the easier it gets...

Jonathan Crawford 924916
Posted
Posted

I've downloaded the above software and am having problems connecting to vatsim. Guess i'm kind of confused how to do it I start the software but am confuesed.

Can someone here walk me through the steps on Connection to the vatsim network?

Thanks

Jon

John Lauer 969019
Posted
Posted
I've downloaded the above software and am having problems connecting to vatsim. Guess i'm kind of confused how to do it I start the software but am confuesed.

Thanks

Jon

Jon,

Now that you have FSX, download FSInn 1.2 and Co-pilot 1.6 ( I think that is the name). Once installed, start FSX and then select the 'Alt' key to display the menu system at the top of your screen. Select Co-pilot and then open up FSInn control panel. From the control panel you can set a number of different menus that will help you.

If after you installing and you still can't connect to VatSim, there is a place that will allow you to select the server to connect to. Others here will help you with that.

Ruth McTighe 824054
Posted
Posted

You need to read the software section in the Pilot Resource Center at www.vatsim.net/prc Go through it, and if you are still having troubles, start a new thread on here with details of where you are stuck.

Ruth

VATGOV7

Ruth McTighe

Now not a VATanything

Billy Murphy 986219
Posted
Posted

I installed all that I need but when I start up FSX I get an error saying that simconnect.dll isn't found.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
Diego Vargas 991526
Posted
Posted

Thanks

Jon

• 4 weeks later...
Douglas Quayle 921503
Posted
Posted

I signed up for VATSIM last year. I have, about once a quarter or so, tried to get this stuff to install and work in FS9. I have NEVER had it go the way the .pdf's on the site say it should. The menu options or data entry screens on one program do not match the instructions at all. I am not a computer geek...I am a pilot. I just want to fly...not configure and tweak and install and re-install and update. Good lord. I'll keep plugging away at trying to get the AVC and the FSInn and the FS9 or FSX and all the other stuff to talk to each other, but I swear...if someone came up with an installer program that made all this stuff work, things would be good. I have $5K in hardware, but can't fly anywhere but on Gamespy...which is a joke. If somebody in the San Francisco Bay Area wants to earn a consulting fee, come help me make this stuff actually work. [email protected]

Matthew Wilson 987467
Posted
Posted

If your using FSInn you do not need AVC. I dont think you need it for Squawkbox either but im not sure.

With FSInn you only need to enable Vatsim voice. Make sure all the other voice clients are off.

Make sure you installed co-pilot before FSinn.

You clould just try Squawkbox if your using FS9 but it does not have as many features as FSInn. It will however connect you too a voice client.

Id come help you but im from NY and i dont think you wanna cover the airfare.

I know how you feel. It took me about two weeks to get everything running smoothly.

Im kinda new myself but i know that if you post specific questions in this forum about what problems you are having theres a TON of very helpful people here that will try and walk you through it.

Good Luck.

vpa268.png

• 4 weeks later...
Ruth McTighe 824054
Posted
Posted

I'm pleased to announce that the PRC guide for installing FSInn has now been updated by Larry James to include the procedures for FSX,

Enjoy!

Ruth McTighe

VATGOV7

Vice President - Communications

Ruth McTighe

Now not a VATanything

• 3 weeks later...
Richard Leger 998207
Posted
Posted
I signed up for VATSIM last year. I have, about once a quarter or so, tried to get this stuff to install and work in FS9. I have NEVER had it go the way the .pdf's on the site say it should. The menu options or data entry screens on one program do not match the instructions at all. I am not a computer geek...I am a pilot. I just want to fly...not configure and tweak and install and re-install and update. Good lord. I'll keep plugging away at trying to get the AVC and the FSInn and the FS9 or FSX and all the other stuff to talk to each other, but I swear...if someone came up with an installer program that made all this stuff work, things would be good. I have $5K in hardware, but can't fly anywhere but on Gamespy...which is a joke. If somebody in the San Francisco Bay Area wants to earn a consulting fee, come help me make this stuff actually work. [email protected]

Hello Douglas,

Check out Skype.com, I'm certain you could get someone to help you via this comm program. If you have a web-cam, the person helping you might even be able to see your screen well enough to guide you should things get so far out of whack that they couldn't determine what the issue was without seeing your screen, but unlikely it would come to that. I had someone help me set it up over TeamSpeak, actually, took less than five mins.

• 4 weeks later...
Jarle Hjelmervik 1002690
Posted
Posted

Thanks

Jon

Jon,

Now that you have FSX, download FSInn 1.2 and Co-pilot 1.6 ( I think that is the name). Once installed, start FSX and then select the 'Alt' key to display the menu system at the top of your screen. Select Co-pilot and then open up FSInn control panel. From the control panel you can set a number of different menus that will help you.

If after you installing and you still can't connect to VatSim, there is a place that will allow you to select the server to connect to. Others here will help you with that.

When i press the alt key nothing happens!! HELP!!!!

It says that the "Alt" key will display the menu system at the top of the screen. Top of the FSX screen? And where in FSX is that supposed to happen? Am i supposed to activate this from free flight or multiplayer (logged in?)?

• 4 weeks later...
Justin Cooper 1005056
Posted
Posted

hi im real newbie in runnig fsx on vista ok i have or should i say had installed all the relevent software to play fsx on vatsim but when i load up i get an error with the copilot software and the fn thing 1.6 then i closes down my fsx and i get nothing can anyone help me any help please help !!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Tom Boothby 1001660
Posted
Posted

I also have fsx and have downloaded the fsinn and fs copilot software, but i still had trouble connecting to vatsim, it is not allowing me to access chat, which is essensial to see controllers that are online, hopefully squawk box 4 will be very easy to install fingers crossed for trouble free installation

regards tom

Shannon Solomon 1006609
Posted
Posted

I have FSX and I finally figured out how to connect to vatsim but I have a problem with the chat window it doesn't seem to be working or initializing Can someone help PLZZZ!!

Tomasz Setkowski 990643
Posted
Posted

I'm new on Vatsim and I think it's an easy question, but I can't find the answer on prc. If I connect using FSX or any other than FS2004, will I still be seen by other poeple on network, is it the same session as in FS2004?

Ruth McTighe 824054
Posted
Posted
I'm new on Vatsim and I think it's an easy question, but I can't find the answer on prc. If I connect using FSX or any other than FS2004, will I still be seen by other poeple on network, is it the same session as in FS2004?

Yes, as long as you are using a flightsim program with an appropriate pilot clinet e.g. Squawkbox, FSInn, Xsquawkbox, it doesn't matter what the program is - everyone will see everyone in the area they are flying in. VATSIM runs one glorious single session on a network of servers.

Ruth

VATGOV7

Vice president, Communications

Ruth McTighe

Now not a VATanything

• 3 months later...
Bernardo Ponce 1022675
Posted
Posted

I have FSX Delluxe and i've downloaded FSCopilot 1.6 as well as FSCopilot 1.7 B2 and FSINN 1.2 and 1.3 B2, but none of them works, everytime i run FSX pops a message that says: "FSCopilot-- Failed to load simconnect". What can I do?

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
I have FSX Delluxe and i've downloaded FSCopilot 1.6 as well as FSCopilot 1.7 B2 and FSINN 1.2 and 1.3 B2, but none of them works, everytime i run FSX pops a message that says: "FSCopilot-- Failed to load simconnect". What can I do?

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Read the first message in the FSInn Help forum, "Announcement: Installing FSInn". That information, plus a link to the message is included in the PRC.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

• 3 weeks later...
Lewis Fielder 1024969
Posted
Posted

can you give me a link to download FSX???? Please

Much Appreciated

-Lewis

Intrested in being in a new team? viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42868

Ruth McTighe 824054
Posted
Posted
can you give me a link to download FSX???? Please

Much Appreciated

-Lewis

You can't download FSX. You have to buy it on disk. I thought you said elsewhere that you already have FSX. If you mean FSInn, the link is in the first post in this thread.

Ruth

VATGOV7

Vice president - Communications

Ruth McTighe

Now not a VATanything

Lewis Fielder 1024969
Posted
Posted

yes sorry i got confused i downloaded the pliot thingyy and the fsn << or what Every It Is but it wont let me connect to VATSIM

-Lewis

Intrested in being in a new team? viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42868

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
yes sorry i got confused i downloaded the pliot thingyy and the fsn << or what Every It Is but it wont let me connect to VATSIM

-Lewis

Actually it will allow you to connect to VATSIM if you did the steps in the PRC. If you actually did the steps and had problems, you would have to make a mention of where you got stuck. Just to say where to download FSX (when you already have FSX) or some pilot thingyy isn't enough for someone to have a clue to where you are.

I would recommend that you take a look at Announcement: Installing FSInn ( http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?t=20466 ) (which is also mentioned in the PRC, which as Ruth said is the first message in this thread). It was also mentioned in the message just before the one you posted.

No one is going to be able to go to your house and set it up, so, that will leave you having to read the instructions... follow the instructions... then be clear where you're stuck if you happen to get stuck while trying to follow what you've read.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

• 1 month later...
Jacob Liebowitz 1029684
Posted
Posted

I am trying to connect to Vatsim on FSX.........I have all the progarams required and when i try to connect it says incorrect call sign....help!!!

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
I am trying to connect to Vatsim on FSX.........I have all the progarams required and when i try to connect it says incorrect call sign....help!!!

This thread is an announcement informing the users that FSX is supported on VATSIM. Please read the message first message in the FSInn Help forum:

Announcement - Installing FSInn

http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?t=20466

After you have read that message and followed all the steps, please start a new topic with a brief reference to your problem and we'll all be glad to help.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky: