You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vPilot asks for default models for P3D versions I don't have.

QuentinSydney deBeauvesierWatson

Posted
Posted

Hello everyone!

First of all, I want to introduce myself. I am Quentin de Beauvesier Watson, A 20 y/o Aviation Geek who loves sitting behind his Virtual Sim! I am from the Netherlands.

Also, It is my first time here on the forum so If a am asking my "to be asked" question in the wrong section, feel free to tell me!

Okay so, I am having a problem here. My vPilot does not let me setup for a first initial connection to VATSIM. It says that: "The specific default model for Prepar3D was not found ... Please enter a different default model."

So, the thing is, It gives me this message on all P3D version simulators. While I am only using P3Dv4.

My default models would be in a SODE subfolder, what seems kinda odd as the Modelmatching for V4 uses the V4 SimObjects folder?

I already tried placing a Default Model in that specific SODE subfolder but nothing works. I cannot connect to the VATSIM network without that default model. It is driving me nuts!!!!

I am reaaaaally looking forward to an answer.

Have a good one!

Kind regards,

Quentin de Beauvesier Watson

EHAM

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Hello,

When you say it is giving you this message on "all P3D version simulators", what exactly do you mean? It would be helpful to post a screenshot of your vPilot settings where it shows all the detected simulators.

Also, when you say "my default models would be in a SODE subfolder" what exactly do you mean by that?

Lastly, what exactly do you mean by "I already tried placing a Default Model in that specific SODE subfolder"?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Posted
Posted (edited)

Good day!

2 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

When you say it is giving you this message on "all P3D version simulators", what exactly do you mean? It would be helpful to post a screenshot of your vPilot settings where it shows all the detected simulators.

What I was trying to say was, my vPilot gives me the option to set a default model for P3D v1 and up to including v4. I don't know why, I never had lower than P3D v3.5 before, but it gives me the opportunity to select a default model setting for all those P3D versions. I only have Prepar3D v4 installed. In the image. below you can clearly see that I have all the P3D versions below v4 in my settings. Which for all, I can select a default model for.

(I ofcourse filled in all my details and did my audio setup before I hit the "apply" button)

413437582_DetectedP3DVersionswithsigns.png.91b2209d18662779b2af603dfdbbe559.png

But..... When I select any plane, for example the standard selection for the default model, the CRJ 700.spacer.png I get this error as soon as I hit enter:

1296821265_Errorpopup.PNG.031a5fe56fd55fb56f9e3b78e359ad73.PNG

I have for P3D v4 over almost 5100 different models including liveries, which all worked. So, I know that my AI Traffic works.

Now, I was curious and tried to search for the directories of the non-existing P3D v1 to v3 which I found when opening the 'Advanced' section in vPilots setting for Model Matching in P3Dv1, v2 aaand v3. I found this directory saying that my default models should be in a SODE subfolder:

Directory.PNG.4fa2513ace185704153a07381eb5e927.PNG

SO, what I have done was looking for those directories and place the CRJ 700 file in those specific subfolders from 12bPilot so that vPilot would read the default models. But that didn't work.

I find it really strange that vPilot uses those directories for P3Dv1 to v3 for the default models and AI Traffic while v4 uses them directly from the SimObjects folder. I eventually made a P3Dv1, v2 and v3 folder with a SimObjects folder in them with the CRJ 700 file but that plan failed as well, because I also got a Error message.

Kind regards,

Quentin

Edited by QuentinSydney deBeauvesierWatson

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, QuentinSydney deBeauvesierWatson said:

I find it really strange that vPilot uses those directories for P3Dv1 to v3 for the default models and AI Traffic while v4 uses them directly from the SimObjects folder. I eventually made a P3Dv1, v2 and v3 folder with a SimObjects folder in them with the CRJ 700 file but that plan failed as well, because I also got a Error message.

You're misinterpreting what you're seeing in the vPilot settings. vPilot does not "use" directories for default models in the way you're describing. What you are seeing on the Advanced tab for each sim is a list of folders that vPilot found when scanning your installation of each sim for installed models. For v1 through v3, it found only those SODE objects. For v4, it found all of your AI traffic models, as well as the default aircraft that come with v4, and presumably it also found those SODE object folders.

Note that when vPilot scans your sim for installed models, it cannot distinguish between a model that is a scenery object and a model that is an aircraft. That's why you see a mix of both aircraft and scenery objects like SODE objects in the list of detected models.

The real question is why does vPilot think you have v1/2/3 installed in your system? When vPilot scans your system to find any supported simulators, it looks for several things, in the following order:

1. First it looks for a registry key that points to the folder where you installed the sim.
  2. Then it checks if the value of that registry key points to a folder that actually exists on disk.
  3. Then it checks if that folder contains the appropriate exe name such as fsx.exe or prepar3d.exe.
  4. Then it checks if the simulator's config file exists, such as FSX.cfg or Prepar3D.cfg.

If all of those tests pass, then vPilot considers that simulator installed. So, your computer must have all of the above for v1 through v4. One possibility is that you installed a utility or add-on at some point in the past that created the "fake" registry entries for the previous sims. Again, just one possibility. No idea if that's what actually happened.

Now you have two options. The first is that you can remove the fake registry entries for v1-v3 and vPilot will only see v4 installed. The other is to properly install the CRJ700 into the old versions. I'm assuming you're just doing something wrong there, such as copying the CRJ into the wrong place, because that should work. I would definitely recommend you do the first option ... you shouldn't need to have those fake registry keys hanging around.

Let me know what you think and I'll assist you from there.

• 2 months later...
Francesco Baiocchi
Posted
Posted
On 12/6/2020 at 17:18, Ross Carlson said:

Stai interpretando male ciò che vedi nelle impostazioni di vPilot. vPilot non "utilizza" le directory per i modelli predefiniti nel modo in cui vengono descritti. Quello che vedi nella scheda Avanzate per ogni sim è un elenco di cartelle che vPilot ha trovato durante la scansione dell'installazione di ogni sim per i modelli installati. Da v1 a v3, ha trovato solo quegli oggetti SODE. Per la v4, ha trovato tutti i tuoi modelli di traffico AI, nonché l'aereo predefinito fornito con la v4, e presumibilmente ha anche trovato quelle cartelle di oggetti SODE.

Tieni presente che quando vPilot esegue la scansione della tua sim per i modelli installati, non è in grado di distinguere tra un modello che è un oggetto scenico e un modello che è un aereo. Ecco perché nell'elenco dei modelli rilevati vedi un mix di oggetti aerei e scenari come oggetti SODE.

La vera domanda è: perché vPilot pensa che tu abbia v1 / 2/3 installato nel tuo sistema? Quando vPilot esegue la scansione del sistema per trovare i simulatori supportati, cerca diversi elementi, nel seguente ordine:

1. Per prima cosa cerca una chiave di registro che punti alla cartella in cui hai installato la sim.
  2. Quindi controlla se il valore di quella chiave di registro punta a una cartella che esiste effettivamente su disco.
  3. Quindi controlla se quella cartella contiene il nome exe appropriato come fsx.exe o prepar3d.exe.
  4. Quindi controlla se il file di configurazione del simulatore esiste, come FSX.cfg o Prepar3D.cfg.

Se tutti questi test vengono superati, vPilot considera il simulatore installato. Quindi, il tuo computer deve avere tutto quanto sopra per v1 fino a v4. Una possibilità è che in passato hai installato un'utilità o un componente aggiuntivo che ha creato le voci di registro "false" per i sim precedenti. Ancora una volta, solo una possibilità. Non ho idea se è quello che è realmente accaduto.

Ora hai due opzioni. Il primo è che puoi rimuovere le false voci di registro per v1-v3 e vPilot vedrà solo v4 installato. L'altro è installare correttamente il CRJ700 nelle vecchie versioni. Presumo che tu stia solo facendo qualcosa di sbagliato, come copiare il CRJ nel posto sbagliato, perché dovrebbe funzionare. Ti consiglio vivamente di fare la prima opzione ... non dovresti aver bisogno di quelle chiavi di registro false in giro.

Fammi sapere cosa ne pensi e ti assisterò da lì.

I have this problem, I wish vpilot would not read p3dv2 / v3 / v4 which I have not installed. I tried from the registry, but I can't find anything and I'm afraid of making some serious mistakes and crashing the computer. Could you help me, guiding me step by step on the procedure?
Thank you

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Wow ... I didn't know that I spoke Italian! :classic_biggrin:

Francesco, what exactly is the problem you're having?

Francesco Baiocchi
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Ross Carlson said:

Wow ... I didn't know that I spoke Italian! :classic_biggrin:

Francesco, what exactly is the problem you're having?

The problem is this.

I have not installed any of the v2 / v3 / v4 versions

I'm trying to attach a screen shot, but it won't insert it.

Francesco Baiocchi
Posted
Posted

Here maybe you can understand better

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

If vPilot is finding version 2, 3, and 4, that means that you have the registry entries for those versions. It also means that the registry entry contains the path to the exe file, and that exe file exists. It also means that you have the configuration file for those versions.

You're saying you never installed those versions, but somehow your system has the registry keys and configuration files for those versions. I don't know how your system could have gotten into this state. I think there's more to the story than what has come to light so far.

Francesco Baiocchi
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Ross Carlson said:

If vPilot is finding version 2, 3, and 4, that means that you have the registry entries for those versions. It also means that the registry entry contains the path to the exe file, and that exe file exists. It also means that you have the configuration file for those versions.

You're saying you never installed those versions, but somehow your system has the registry keys and configuration files for those versions. I don't know how your system could have gotten into this state. I think there's more to the story than what has come to light so far.

I had p3dv4, but it was uninstalled for p3dv5, but the v3 and v2 never got. Can they be deleted from the log file or should I stop using Vatsim? Why it doesn't go on like this.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

You can delete the registry keys or the config files. Probably deleting the config files is the simplest option. They are found in the hidden appdata folder. Mine are here:

C:\Users\Ross Carlson\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin

Within that, you'll see a subfolder for each version of P3D. Within each of those folders you'll find a file called Prepar3d.cfg. Delete or rename that file and that should prevent vPilot from detecting it.

Francesco Baiocchi
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

You can delete the registry keys or the config files. Probably deleting the config files is the simplest option. They are found in the hidden appdata folder. Mine are here:

C:\Users\Ross Carlson\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin

Within that, you'll see a subfolder for each version of P3D. Within each of those folders you'll find a file called Prepar3d.cfg. Delete or rename that file and that should prevent vPilot from detecting it.

I did as you advised and now it works fine. Thank you very much, you have been really helpful and kind 😉