You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Unexplained drop in FPS while flying

Grant Williams

Grant Williams
Posted
Posted

Overview

Hey everyone. Happy Friday! I am hoping someone here can help me out. I am running X-Plane 11.5b10 with Vulkan enabled. I was also running xPilot, Discord, VATSPY and have VividSky and xVis (those use the Lua script). Additionally, here are my PC specs:

• Windows 10
  • Ryzen RX5700 XT 8GB
  • Ryzen 7 3700X
  • 32GB RAM

The problem

Yesterday I decided I wanted to do a decently long flight from Honolulu to Tahiti. I loaded up on VATSIM in the stock 747-400 with an Atlas Air livery (this one that is not technically for the stock) and took off. After a little over an hour in the air, I noticed a major drop in FPS that consistently got worse as the flight progressed. I started the flight with 60 FPS (which is pretty much what I always get unless I am at a big airport and it drops a bit) and maintained that for much of the time. However, after a while my FPS dropped to 30. I figured it was because there were a lot of clouds so I changed the weather to be VFR and get rid of the clouds... no change. 

As the flight continued my FPS dropped a little bit over time. 29... 28... Eventually it got down to 25 before I just quit the flight because I knew something was up.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why the FPS would drop so significantly and continue to drop as the flight goes on? This is frustrating because I have a really great computer and if this problem continues in the future it means I can't functionally do a flight over like an hour and a half...

Any and all help is appreciated! I will be away from my computer for much of the day so may not reply until later this evening.

Thank you all!

Grant

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Grant, I don't know if this will help or not.  But I occasionally notice my sim bogging down after being online for a bit, and this seems to help although I've yet to convince Justin to investigate it further (or, he hasn't seen my posts, or, he's working on bigger show-stoppers or whatever).  If I hit the Disconnect button on xPilot, then close xPilot completely, then restart xPilot, then reconnect to VATSIM, that often helps with the stuttering.  Oddly enough, it's often not until that very last step -- reconnecting -- that the issue seems to clear up.

Again, it may be my imagination as I've no firm data to support this, but, you can try it and see.  If it helps, maybe you'll be more successful than I at collecting the correct datapoints to support this representing some bug in xPilot.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted
On 6/14/2020 at 8:07 PM, Robert Shearman Jr said:

Grant, I don't know if this will help or not.  But I occasionally notice my sim bogging down after being online for a bit, and this seems to help although I've yet to convince Justin to investigate it further (or, he hasn't seen my posts, or, he's working on bigger show-stoppers or whatever).  If I hit the Disconnect button on xPilot, then close xPilot completely, then restart xPilot, then reconnect to VATSIM, that often helps with the stuttering.  Oddly enough, it's often not until that very last step -- reconnecting -- that the issue seems to clear up.

Again, it may be my imagination as I've no firm data to support this, but, you can try it and see.  If it helps, maybe you'll be more successful than I at collecting the correct datapoints to support this representing some bug in xPilot.

Robert, which version of xPilot are you running?

The alpha version of xPilot includes a garbage collector to automatically unload CSL model objects that are no longer in use.

Controller (C3), Los Angeles ARTCC
Developer: xPilot, vATIS

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Justin Shannon said:

Robert, which version of xPilot are you running?

The alpha version of xPilot includes a garbage collector to automatically unload CSL model objects that are no longer in use.

Hi, Justin.  I'm still using 1.2.1.  If 1.3+ has rectified this issue, that's great news.  Thanks!

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Joseph Adams
Posted
Posted

Have you definitively ruled out a component overheating issue? 

Joseph Adams