Hello!

Is there a publicly available project (some scripts) that can be implemented into a web site to provide information for the stands status (similar to the airports data for UK and also Austria)? I searched, but couldn't find.

I would like to do it for the airports of my country. I guess that the above mentioned sites use the available data for the pilots departing/arriving at a certain airport and checks their coordinates and compare it with the stands coordinates of the airport and then if there is a match they output the result into the web interface. The problem is since I am not a programmer and am looking for a ready-to-use solution that can be added into a webpage, can't code it myself 🙂

Thanks for any useful information!

28 minutes ago, Tobias Dammers said:

The Dutch VACC have a tool for that: https://www.dutchvacc.nl/schiphol-eham-gates-overview/

I don't know the details of how they did it, but if you contact them about it, chances are they'll tell you how to, or even share their code with you.

Thanks, I may try to do so.

I am especially impressed with its ability to find airline specific gates 🙂

Not really, developer here...

This page is part of our gate assignment tools. 

Every minute I read the vatsim data, in order to find flights departing from, or flying to EHAM. Outbounds are easy: I compare the vatsim coordinates with the actual gate coordinates in order do determine the aircraft stand.

Inbounds are a bit more complicated. Gate assignement is based on callsign, departure airfield (Schengen...), cargo/pax and aircraft type. First, the script will check if you use a real-life callsign. If so, the real life gate will be assigned, when available and suitable for your aircraft. In any other case, the script will try to assign a airline specific gate. I have those in a database, based on an (almost) automatic analysis of all real life flights to/from EHAM. If there is still no match, a random gate will be assigned. A plugin presents the results to the controller in Euroscope.

Unfortunately, it is not easy to copy this system to another airport/country.

Cheers,

Martijn

Edited by Martijn Rammeloo
15 hours ago, Mihail Tomov said:

Yes, and it would be nice if it becomes standard for vatsim 

It would, but it's not going to be feasible.

The issue is that the way gates are used are specific to an airport, so the code that the Dutch VACC are using for EHAM is not going to work for any other airport without rather drastic changes. So don't hold your breath 😉

23.png

Not only that, but gate assignment is just one (small) part of a bigger part. It is simply impossible to 'take out' one specific part. I didn't design the code with this in mind. Besides that, in several places I use personal keys (for example Google Maps), but also commercial keys. It would be hassle to remove them.

OTOH: I am always willing to explain how we solved some issues!

Oh, I wasn't really thinking of "taking out" the relevant code, just thinking out loud what it would take to build a standalone generic gate assignment system.

On a side note; putting secrets like access keys in source control is a big no-no, never ever do that. Provide them as configuration. Always.

23.png

I didn't mention source control... 

What would you need (basics only)?
- VATSIM data: aircraft type, ades, adep, flight rules, callsign

- table with aircraft and their dimensions

- table with gates: lat/long, max width, max length, Schengen yes/no, cargo yes/no, GA yes/no, specials (police helicopters etc)

And some more advanced:

- real life parking positions (Schiphol is kind enough to provide this 24/7), however, they use flightnumbers

- tool to translate callsign to flightnumber (paid service)

- table with airline specific gates. For example, BAW uses the same 4 gates 99% of the time