You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Unexpected error today

William Teale

William Teale
Posted
Posted

G'day.

Yesterday I was running AFV normally. Today, on connection it spits out an error, 'helpfully' wrapped in a GUI so that my sensibilities would not be offended by an UE. The error being:

The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.

Without the rest of the exception text Im not sure what the error is, nor how to troubleshoot it. Googling the error text, I find that it could be any number of things: For instance, it could be the server refusing my TLS connection due outdated TLS protocol... which would be odd seeing as it worked fine yesterday. Or it could be the latency too high for the TCP connection to be stable with the server timeout settings, which also would be odd (but not impossible) given that it worked fine yesterday.

Any assistance in tracking down this error and fixing it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Bill

William Teale
Posted
Posted

Has there been any changes to AFV server side in the last 48 hours? Changing settings, changing voice server connections, anything like that?

• 2 weeks later...
William Teale
Posted
Posted

The AFV site directs me here, saying that this is the location for support requests for AFV. Is it in error?

Im unable to use the network due to AFV not allowing me to connect. Little help?

Kevin Gunn
Posted
Posted

Hi William,

Nothing has changed with the  AFV Infrastructure for some time.

Kev

• Thanks 1

William Teale
Posted
Posted

Understood. Well, from googling the error extensively, it seems that broad strokes, its the server closing the connection. One reason helpfully suggested that I doubt applies is that the server could have been updated to use the new version of TLS that is only like 13 years old, but the software Im using has not, so I need to update to a version of .NET newer than 2.0.

Given that 4.7.2 was installed to get started, I think we can rule TLS out of the issue.

Im wondering what other reasons could have caused the server to suddenly start closing my connection? It was working fine one day, not the next. No system changes my end. Once it stopped letting me connect, I reinstalled twice, no change in behavior unfortunately. Im at a loss for what to do - I had to drop out of CtP as its hardly feasible to control on text there. If I wanted to control solely by text, I could always just boot up Endless ATC 😕

Kevin Gunn
Posted
Posted

Hi William,

I feel your pain, and I am happy to assist where I can.

I take it you are using Wine? What is your base OS, MacOs\Linux?

Could you please try and get some logs by following the documentation here.

I can then see if anything jumps out.

Thanks

Kev

William Teale
Posted
Posted

Host OS is Manjaro, a linux derivative (distro of Arch). Im running through a GUI helper that in turn runs WINE.

Ive generated a log using the GUI helper (called PlayOnLinux), but watching it live, it didnt actually log anything at the moment that the disconnect error occurred, so Im not sure if it will be much help. Nonetheless, I very much appreciate any efforts and Im happy to run any tests you need for that purpose.

Link to the log content: https://pastebin.com/p6hh7fKY

Kevin Gunn
Posted
Posted (edited)

This seems to be the problem:

1. 00f8:err:winediag:schan_imp_init Failed to load libgnutls, secure connections will not be available.

Seems your machine is failing to load an essential library needed for the secure connection to our servers.

Sorry I’m not a Linux and wine guru, just a .Net Developer 🙃. I can only suggest googling the error and post on the wine forums.
Edited by Kevin Gunn
  • Thanks 1

William Teale
Posted
Posted

Ah, but you are enough of a developer to spot the issue! I am a hobby coder myself, but didnt catch that.

On investigating, it seems I have only the 64 bit version of that library, and AFV runs on a 32 bit wine prefix. Ive installed the 32 bit version of gnutls, and Im able to connect again. Simplicity itself!

The only odd thing left is what changed to make it stop working. Im on a rolling distro, so perhaps the library was removed from the base install? I didnt think Id done a system update on that day, that AFV stopped working, though.

In any event, its fixed and I can again control! Thanks again for your time taken to help.

• Like 1

Kevin Gunn
Posted
Posted

Great news! You’re welcome.

Happy Controlling!

Kev