You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FSX & Windows 10

Garry Morrison

Garry Morrison
Posted
Posted

I am about to purchase a dedicated PC to run FSX and I need to know the following from a knowledgeable simmer:

1) Which is the best version of FSX that runs with Windows 10?

2) Are there any issues to install and run FSX on Windows 10?

3) Are there any issues running FSX with any of the required add-ons; such as: vPilot or Swift?

4) Are there any issues running FSX on Windows 10 with FSCommander, Rex, or Active Sky

74Q3NHMZVZG7XJ3HPMO7P4YQ64.jpg

Daniel Mckee
Posted
Posted

Hi Garry, any particular reason you want FSX? It is only a 32bit program and is getting a bit long in the tooth (old). However with respect to FSX, it is quite stable but is prone to blue screen of deaths when pushed and nearly all addons in the past few years will push it. If you must use FSX then you can either get the Steam version or the full DVD (Flight Simulator X: Acceleration). There are plenty of discussion threads on line regarding Steam Vs DVD and I will not comment further in that regard. Prior to changing to X-Plane I had no problems using FSX (DVD) with Windows 10, FSCommander, Rex or Active Sky all of which I used at some time with FSX. As far as vPilot or Swift with FSX I cannot advise and therefore leave that to other responders. 

But seriously, personally I would use  P3D  or X-Plane 11 both of which are 64bit programs and both of which will get the best out of a new PC .

With regard to installation of any program and related addons, when done carefully and after RTFM four times before doing anything you should not have any problems but just remember as with life in general s%$t always happens😉

Garry Morrison
Posted
Posted

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for the honest and strait forward reply.

As I read your comments, it is realistic that the FS world has evolved and moving to reach further heights; such as, P3D, X-Plane and soon FS2020.  All of that to say that, I had a changed of heart and I am seriously considering X-Plane 11 or P3D. Which one of those you think is the best and easies to use?

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Garry, everyone has their opinion on the matter of X-Plane vs P3D and it's such a tired can of worms at this point, LOL -- as with everything red and blue, there are pros and cons to each, and which one suits you more depends on what your personal priorities are.  The general consensus is that X-Plane is geared more toward General Aviation flying, but is still making strides to catch up vis-a-vis airliner add-on quality.  P3D has a better selection of quality airliner add-ons and overall quality payware add-ons, but, X-Plane has a very robust freeware add-on community for scenery, aircraft, and add-on features all with a surprising level of quality.  Ultimately, X-Plane offers a free (time-limited) demo so you can try it out.  I believe P3D has a free trial period or refund offer as well, but don't quote me on that.

• Like 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Daniel Mckee
Posted
Posted

Hi Garry, yes indeed everyone has their own opinion regarding X-Plane Vs P3D. One thing I would try is download the free X-Plane demo as suggested and try it in it's default form first and then download Orbx free True Earth England demo which is based on a small part of the south of England and will give you an indication of what can be achieved with X-Plane and addons.

Garry Morrison
Posted
Posted

Robert and Daniel,

Great advise!

Will be trying the X-Plane demo and will let you know how it goes.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

I have switched to X-Plane 11 about 2 years ago and I am happy with my choice.

As mentioned before, there is a lack of high-quality addon airliners such FsLabs A320 or the PMDG-series, but on the other hand there's a wonderful freeware B737-800X addon made by "Zibo" that is actively developed and improved. There's even a 737MAX-series that is really good, too. If you prefer light aircraft, "HoldMyBeer" just released a wonderful Cirrus SR22GT for free. Same story for scenery, there's a lot of stuff going in the community and you can just make your own OrthoScenery based on OpenStreetMaps or whatever.

• 2 years later...
Ren Deer
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Garry, it's generally recommended to use P3D or X-Plane 11 on Windows 10 for a better experience, as they are both 64-bit programs. FSX can work on Windows 10, but it's a 32-bit program and may be prone to issues when using certain add-ons. If you do decide to go with FSX, you can either get the Steam version or the full DVD. Just follow the instructions carefully and have a backup plan in case of any issues. If you have any more questions, you can try asking on forums like windows 10 product key reddit for more detailed advice. I spend a lot of time there, and I might help.

Edited by Ren Deer

Torben Andersen
Posted
Posted

One thing not in favour of X-plane is a potential automatic disconnect from VATSIM due to X-planes policy of reducing simulation rate, if the hardware is not fast enough for the choice of settings you've made. Some X-plane pilots experience this, others do not. Just a heads up.

Torben Andersen, VACC-SCA Controller (C1)

Torben Andersen
Posted
Posted

Question is to which degree this problem is still pertinent. I have nothing against X-plane, but if the problem still exists, then it is only fair to mention it.

Torben Andersen, VACC-SCA Controller (C1)

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

X-Plane's way of compensating for low hardware performance has not changed, so your comment still is relevant, of course. My cheeky comment was more aimed at Mister Reindeer!