You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Zulu time / Planes on departure

Marc Sieffert

Marc Sieffert
Posted
Posted

Hi, I have two questions:

ZULU TIME:

I understood that in the flight plan I have to enter ZULU time. 

That means that currently if it is 3PM in Paris for example I have to enter 1PM (2 hours back)

AND if I make a flight in Asia Kuala Lumpur for example I also enter 1PM (although the real time at this stage would be something like 9PM. Is this correct?

PLANES ON DEPARTURE:

Is it possible to know how many planes are present on an airport, via the radars like vatview I can see the planes flying but not how many planes are actually in an airport. Is this possible to know?

Thanks a lot!!

Trevor Hannant
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Marc Sieffert said:

Hi, I have two questions:

ZULU TIME:

I understood that in the flight plan I have to enter ZULU time. 

That means that currently if it is 3PM in Paris for example I have to enter 1PM (2 hours back)

AND if I make a flight in Asia Kuala Lumpur for example I also enter 1PM (although the real time at this stage would be something like 9PM. Is this correct?

That is correct.

35 minutes ago, Marc Sieffert said:

PLANES ON DEPARTURE:

Is it possible to know how many planes are present on an airport, via the radars like vatview I can see the planes flying but not how many planes are actually in an airport. Is this possible to know?

Thanks a lot!!

If you have VATSpy, right click on the relevant airport then click on 'ICAO Details' (where ICAO is the code for the relevant airport).   You will see a list of Departures and Arrivals.   For aircraft that are on the ground, they will show as "Departing" or "Arrived".   Anything with a time is airborne in either direction.

• Thanks 1

Trevor Hannant

Trevor Hannant
Posted
Posted

Just to give an example of the above - if you look at the departure column, RJA611 and UKV2579 are both on the ground at OMDB preparing to depart.   

UAE228 has arrived from PANC and is either taxying to stand or is now on stand.    CSN3001 is on the ground at ZGGG waiting to depart to OMDB.

vatspy-arrdep.thumb.png.27ee67f73eaf49273075d5982dd8d4ec.png

• Thanks 1

Trevor Hannant

Tomas Hansson
Posted
Posted

A quick correction on the Zulu (UTC) times. Always use the 24-hour clock. So in your example if it is 3PM in Paris you have to enter 1300z. I find this website useful for date/time calculations: 

http://www.timeanddate.com

• Thanks 1

Tomas Hansson

• 1 month later...
GDPR-removed
Posted
Posted (edited)

Forget it.

Edited by Peter Bremer
  • Like 1

Daniel Mckee
Posted
Posted (edited)

A quick correction on the Zulu (UTC) times. Always use the 24-hour clock. So in your example if it is 3PM in Paris you have to enter 1300z. I find this website useful for date/time calculations:       I believe that 3.00pm is actually 1500 hours😉

Edited by Daniel Mckee

GDPR-removed
Posted
Posted (edited)

Forget it

Edited by Peter Bremer
  • Confused 1

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Daniel Mckee said:

I believe that 3.00pm is actually 1500 hours

For local time you do not have to use the 24h-system, although I find it user-friendlier as it does not leave room for wrong interpretations. Is 12am midnight or midday (I know, but...).

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
On 8/16/2020 at 4:54 AM, Daniel Mckee said:

A quick correction on the Zulu (UTC) times. Always use the 24-hour clock. So in your example if it is 3PM in Paris you have to enter 1300z. I find this website useful for date/time calculations:       I believe that 3.00pm is actually 1500 hours😉

1500 local, 1300z. 

• Thanks 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png