You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

The main VATSIM-UK Forum

Lee Redmayne 811746

Lee Redmayne 811746
Posted
Posted

The main VATSIM-UK Forum can be found at:

http://www.vatsim-uk.org/forum/

Kind Regards

Lee Redmayne

UK Divisional Director, VATSIM.net

VATSIM Supervisor

Network Administrator, VATSIM-UK

Executive Director, NWVA et al

VATSIM Supervisor

Andy King-Magee 810722
Posted
Posted

How can you say that Lee when this is the Official VATSIM Forums area, surley the other one should be closed down and everyone uses this one. These Forums are much faster than the UK's and easier to use from my perspective anyway thats why I am using it.

Andy King-Magee

Hawarden Virtual UK

CEO ChauffAir VA

Hawarden UK & Virtual-Pilot UK

247.png

Robert Bruce 825416
Posted
Posted

Thin end of the wedge, Andy. We'll get you onto the proper one yet

- Rob

Daniel Finney 810884
Posted
Posted (edited)

Erm......VATSIM UK "official" Forum resides here, otherwise wouldnt the powers that be left the UK area out from this new group of fora ?

Its good to finally have an official area for the UK approved by VATSIM

Best Regards

Edited by Guest

Robert Bruce 825416
Posted
Posted

Whilst the Official VATSIM UK Forum may reside here, the

official VATSIM-UK forum is elsewhere

- Rob

Andy King-Magee 810722
Posted
Posted

Nice one Rob Go here, NO, OK then don't

Andy King-Magee

Hawarden Virtual UK

CEO ChauffAir VA

Hawarden UK & Virtual-Pilot UK

247.png

Chris Boustead 843230
Posted
Posted

I like this new forum a lot as we can quickly navigate around and see what’s happening in other areas, but I can't compare it to the UK one, I still think the VATUK one is best for us to communicate as a division...anyone else have any thoughts?

Chris Boustead

VATSIM Supervisor

Robert Bruce 825416
Posted
Posted

I agree, Chris. While is great to be part of the wider community here, I fear that it will be easy to get lost in the volume of messages and lose focus somewhat. I normally read forums by using the "view new messages" links and there is no way to exclude info from forums in which I have no interest.

Additionally, the proper UK forum has the necessary granularity to be an effective tool to help the running of the division, especially with the RTS sections. This place can never be a substitute to that.

Whilst we cannot ignore this forum, I feel we now need to view this in the same way as the newsgroups (no, not a place full of muppets.) - Keep an eye on it and answer questions here, but encourage the participation in the official VATSIM-UK forums.

- Rob

Daniel Finney 810884
Posted
Posted

Agreed that the UK Division probably like the majority of divisions needs to have, for want of a better word, a "Domestic" area for RTS and ATC issues and the like - that in all probability, the rest of the international VATSIM members will no doubt have very little interest, if any at all, as non-UK visiting pilots or non operating UK controllers.

What in my opinion should be posted here in the main VATSIM Forum UK area, is lots of information that the visiting international VATSIM pilot (I now fall into this category myself) would want to be furnished with, for example, Events, traffic for exams, changes to UK airspace and changes to operating procedures etc.

For this to happen and be of benefit to the wider VATSIM community, UK staff MUST have a free hand in what they decide to post (obviously if they personally wish to do so), and where to post without being constrained in any way, shape or form by means of unofficial gagging, like what we have seen just recently with other media.

I humbly call on all UK staff to leave any personal issues aside and post as much relevant information as is possible that you think will reach a wider VATSIM community.

Its all well and good providing a link to the domestic UK forum, my concern is, that you will not reach the wider membership, and I can state quite categorically, that the post that started this thread, in my opinion, apparently oozes of the one track minded direction of the VATSIM UK division at the moment.....as a standalone organisation that appears to do what it wants regardless of VATSIM protocol.

VATSIM UK - please think "wider"

Best Regards and with the best intentions as always

Ben Sargeaunt-Thomson 8348
Posted
Posted

Its an interesting topic this.

I would say keep the UK forum as it is unless the rooms are transfered accross. We in the UK have alot of diffeerent rooms for different subjects. It would be a shame to lose those, as I feel the UK forum as it stands is great.

The UK forum is great, lets give it some time and see how everything develops, and maybe at a later date the time may be right to transfer.

Ben

Daniel Finney 810884
Posted
Posted

Thanks for your input Kyp, some interesting thoughts.

Regards

Dan

Dave Fagan 859922
Posted
Posted
Its an interesting topic this.

I would say keep the UK forum as it is unless the rooms are transfered accross. We in the UK have alot of diffeerent rooms for different subjects. It would be a shame to lose those, as I feel the UK forum as it stands is great.

The UK forum is great, lets give it some time and see how everything develops, and maybe at a later date the time may be right to transfer.

Ben

I agree - we have subjects on the Vatsim-UK site not currently available here - EG: the Military Section - just now actually springing into life - be a shame to lose it.

Having both International and National fora seems to me the way to get the best of both worlds.

Dave

Jason Sparkes 841914
Posted
Posted

Out with the old and in with the new i say....

Jason

Mark McGrath 847109
Posted
Posted

Migrate the General Chat Forum to here from the Vat UK website.

Keep the others where they are and have some pinned posts along the following lines:

EGTT London FIR

EGPX Scottish FIR

Regional Training Forums

• 3 weeks later...
Mark Mathewson
Posted
Posted

I think if it's technically feasible we should move all the UK stuff here and close that forum down. It seems crazy to me to have two fora - real pain to check both and we can already see people duplicating posts across the two.

So I think we need only one. And if Vatsim dictates it's going to be this one, then the UK one needs to be closed.

Robert Bruce 825416
Posted
Posted

This site can't do the job for us, Mark. As such, it is almost superfluous.

The only reason for maintaining a presence here is as a contact - if people come here first then it is bad for us not to be here. However we can't build the structure here that we need on our own forum and a lot of what we discuss is of little interest or use to the global vatsim membership.

- Rob

• 1 year later...
Gareth Smart 908521
Posted
Posted

also with the VATUK having it's own designated forum, it means that people can be notified of any changes and happenings etc a lot more quickly as it is more localised.

ask your self this: "If I wanted to check for something new, would I go to the messy world-wide forum and spend ages trapesing through the world-wide forum or go to the VATUK one as then we have the RTS boards, general disussion etc."

I know which one I would chose.

I say keep the VATUK forums

• 1 year later...
Francis Shepherd 980238
Posted
Posted

Perhaps someone might post a monthly bulletin of key things to do with the UK, especially events. I will have a word with VATUK5 (our events manager).

generate.php?mid=1235