You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Using realistic callsigns

James Underwood

James Underwood
Posted
Posted

Hello all,

My first post and very new to VATSIM, had 2 successful flights on the network, I can't see me returning to Radar Contact or VoxATC now!

I fly with the Virtual Airline 'Fly UK' so I get the flight numbers for the callsign there (Skyways 698 etc) however at some point I might start using the FlyBe Dash 8 for my own flights as well. Now that FlyBe have gone however, is there a way of finding out the real flight numbers that were used, so I can have a realistic Jersey callsign as there would have been on a certain route? Or would I just have to make up the numbers and any letters like Jersey 68D?

Any help is most appreciated, looking forward to doing more flights and maybe attending an event! Thanks also to the controllers at Jersey Tower, Ground and London Centre yesterday (26th June) for making my second experience a great one!

James.

Luke Brown
Posted
Posted

Try http://edi-gla.co.uk

Not saying you’ll find every flight plan, but it’s probably the best for finding real FPLs.

Network Supervisor | C1 | P1

VATSIM UK

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the network, James! I hope you will have plenty of good experiences on the network in the future!

• Haha 1

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new

James Underwood
Posted
Posted

That's brilliant thanks for the link! Apparently I'm already registered to the site, couldn't get in with the password to I reset it, logged in now. I don't remember signing up, not even heard of the site until now, maybe I sleep-registered 🤣

Thanks for the help!

James.

Gabriel Fernandez
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, James Underwood said:

Hello all,

My first post and very new to VATSIM, had 2 successful flights on the network, I can't see me returning to Radar Contact or VoxATC now!

I fly with the Virtual Airline 'Fly UK' so I get the flight numbers for the callsign there (Skyways 698 etc) however at some point I might start using the FlyBe Dash 8 for my own flights as well. Now that FlyBe have gone however, is there a way of finding out the real flight numbers that were used, so I can have a realistic Jersey callsign as there would have been on a certain route? Or would I just have to make up the numbers and any letters like Jersey 68D?

Any help is most appreciated, looking forward to doing more flights and maybe attending an event! Thanks also to the controllers at Jersey Tower, Ground and London Centre yesterday (26th June) for making my second experience a great one!

James.

Hello James. welcome to the amazing world of simulation.🙃
I cannot confirm that all the information is 100% correct, but I checked and many of that list are correct.
List with ICAO code and airline name https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airline_codes
Flight numbers can be checked at Fr24 or flightaware for example.

GABRIEL FERNANDEZ
VATBRZ Division Director, VATSIM Americas  
VATSIM Network Instructor - SAM FSS
##  [email protected] 
##
 Vatsim Brasil    

1729843347_LogoVATBRZtest.thumb.png.cd8c8bebff0897aa7c0ec41dc3648b7a.png.d061d9bdd8d550a9eb07597ff167cc2d.png

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

You could also just make up one if you choose.  Any non-offensive and non-reserved callsign is permitted, with very few exceptions.  There's no requirement to mirror current or historic callsigns for the route you're flying -- the level of adherence is up to you. 

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

James Underwood
Posted
Posted

Thank you!! I will probably make some up, it's just I'm a bit heavy on adding true realism where I can right down to the right callsign numbers! Thank you guys for the help!

Harry Downton
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi James,

Welcome and great news that your first couple of flights went well!

If you have any issues with any aspect with edi-gla, or you're looking for something in particular, feel free to request a flightplan  on there and our contributors will try and find a plan to suit. Albeit, as you have noted, it could be a bit harder now they have folded - but I am sure we/they can assist where possible.

Thanks, 

Edited by Harry Downton

Harry Downton

VATSIM Network Supervisor - Team 6

Real World Flight Plan Database / edi-gla Administrator

vatsim_0.png

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted (edited)

Try this website, this has been my go to website since COVID rendered looking up flights on FR and FA unless.

Has historical data back a few years, flight numbers, call signs, and gates if available.

https://www.flightera.net/en/

Edited by Kirk Christie

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

• 3 weeks later...
Caspian Merlin
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've only just seen this thread, but on the day Flybe went bust @James Clarke 1418102 and I painstakingly went through FR24 and made a document with every single Flybe callsign by route (as far as we know) before they dropped off the system.

Feel free to view it here. Find the airport of origin on the left and work your way along that row until you find your desired destination. There are often multiple options available where they operated multiple flights on that route.

Edited by Caspian Merlin
Added more info
  • Thanks 1

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Thank you to the following professionals for using the correctly spoken callsign;

HOU_81_CTR Che Jackson

MEM_15_CTR Ben

Well done guys, and a huge thank you.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png